Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo Especially for content not in the forum
Such as files in the Cove "Members" Directory

Has anyone ever heard of "Quality Gates" (Volkswagen term?) - APQP and PPAP

paomaxb

Starting to get Involved
Hi everybody
I hope this is the right forum.
Has anyone ever heard of "Quality Gates". The question was raised by Volkswagen, i think it should be something related to "general project management "
thanks in advance

Re: APQP and PPAP

Hi everybody
I hope this is the right forum.
Has anyone ever heard of "Quality Gates". The question was raised by Volkswagen, i think it should be something related to "general project management "
thanks in advance
Probably they are referred to the formal program reviews in APQP ( PR1, PR2, PR3, PR4) that APQP Blue Book foresees.:bigwave:

qusys, do you mean the AIAG APQP Reference Manual? I don't remember those acronyms
Yes, it is my guess but I do not know if they are reported in AIAG APQP ref.manual.
I rely on your memory, but it could be an analogy because the meaning should be the same.
They should be considered as a sort of check points in managing a project for the introduction of a new product.
If you do not considered them as PR review , you could say that they are agreed check point with your customer for quality issues to face and solve.:bigwave:

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin

qusys, do you mean the AIAG APQP Reference Manual? I don't remember those acronyms
I don't think the abbreviations qusys refers to are in the APQP manual. He's referring to the APQP "gates," as depicted in the attachment, which is page 6 of the 2nd edition AIAG APQP manual (fair use).

The VW thing is probably something similar, but in all cases such as this one, it's best to ask the customer. Perhaps someone else here can shed some light.

Attachments

I don't think the abbreviations qusys refers to are in the APQP manual. He's referring to the APQP "gates," as depicted in the attachment, which is page 6 of the 2nd edition AIAG APQP manual (fair use).

The VW thing is probably something similar, but in all cases such as this one, it's best to ask the customer. Perhaps someone else here can shed some light.
Yes, Jim, I was referring to the picture that you have attached
in the prior post. In my mind they are analogue to what paomaxb asked for.
They are the usual phases when an organization shall launch a new product and decides to follow the guidelines of APQP/PPAP to do so, because they are well known and accpeted by the customers in the automotive market.

Last edited:
Quality Gates is also a term used for design and development review. The concept being that the design project does not go forward until certain objectives have been completed.

This was a front page story in Automotive News a few months after Mercedes bought Chrysler. Mercedes discovered that Chrysler had the bad habit of continuing design development with unresolved issues, making them difficult or impossible to resolve at future stages. The headline was something like Mercedes installs "gates" at Chrysler.

I have heard the term occasionally used by both automotive and aerospace engineers.

M

milind dhakad

Yes , QUality gate doesnot have any connectionw with APQP or PPAP. Quality gates is methodology developed by Volkswagen just like QSB(GM),TPS(TOyato) etc.
It is used to address the defect at process stage so that same defect should not be pass that manufacturing station.
Also at Quality gate, detail analysis of defect ,present status for defect etc is also displayed

Top Bottom