Has Lean Manufacturing put on weight due to Middle Age?

Do you think a Reflective Approach support Lean ??

• Not At All - Can be Detrimental to the implimentation of Lean

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • OK to start but we can soon revert to type

• Could be used if the Management Team accepts this approach

• Take it or Leave it

• Important Part of the Programme

• Critical to the implimentation of Lean

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters
Q

QMJones

Has Lean Manufacturing put on weight due to Middle Age ?????? :confused:

Having spent many years within both Automotive and FMCG companies exhorting the virtues of “Lean” is “Best” it always amazes me that when you speak to CEO’s etc the first thing they envisage is labour reductions, this in their opinion is the best way to achieve lean.

Even when you explain that as a percentage the direct Labour cost might only be 10 –15% of the overall manufacturing cost !! – There are much bigger fish to fry.

The integration of Lean manufacturing into most organisations start with either the CEO or Finance director (VP or Vice VP or Assistant to the Vice VP – for our American cousins) spending a number of very informative days at a local 5* Hotel (with Golf Course) and returning with this new Vision, they then get together the operational team and instruct them to get on with it. A bit cynical I know but you all must see the odd thread in my ranting’s.

Well lets get to the crux of the matter, I have an opinion, this is that unless the Senior Management Team within an organisation can make the shift to Reflective Management prior to the introduction of Lean they are doomed with failure in the long term.

What do I mean by Reflective Management, this is the ability to look inward as well as outward to bring an holistic approach to Management and Manufacturing, not the “We Love you all and want to be your friends” approach but a more inclusive style that truly takes on some of the ethos of Kaizen, Gemba and Hoshin Kanri not that as a European I am fully indoctrinated by the Japanese manufacturing principle, but I envy their simplicity and openness.

I would welcome to hear from anyone – or company that has approached Lean in this Reflective manner as I am currently researching this topic for my Msc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor
C

Craig H.

QM

I agree that upper management has to realize that if organizational change is to happen, they, the managers have to change their style and their way of thinking. This is true for several reasons, but the most important is that in order for any change to take hold, the rest of the people in the organization have to change as well. If they see a change in approach and attitude at the top, it is much more likely that the rest of the organization will "buy in".

Craig

E

energy

No clue

My experience with Lean Mfg concepts was very dissappointing. Lean Mfg alone looks for redundancies in the system to reduce duplication of efforts and proved a waste of time at my previous employer. A smart General Manager with an eye on waste and inefficiency, leaves nothing for Lean to do. We had too "invent" something to show that the CEO's idea and the cost of the program was worthwhile. Yup, orders were given to find something, anything to see that this happens. What a joke!

As for the "Reflective Management added as a side dish with Lean, IMHO, they don't mix! One involves processes and the other, well, is something else.

Our Program was looked at by the participants as just a PR ploy and try as we might, collectively, there was no justification to spend the amount of time that we put on it.

R

Randy Stewart

A smart General Manager with an eye on waste and inefficiency, leaves nothing for Lean to do.
I have to differ with you here. Lean is really focused on improved throughput, even if processes are duplicated. JIT, Kanban, etc. are all parts of Lean. You need a buy in on the floor because the operators will be more help with the effort than a smart, eagle-eyed GM any day. The GM should be driving the effort but the emphasis on "parts out the door" fogs the eyes.

QMJones, you may want to look at the threads under ISO-9000 and System Thinking for more discussion.

E

energy

If you say so

Randy Stewart said:
I have to differ with you here. Lean is really focused on improved throughput, even if processes are duplicated. JIT, Kanban, etc. are all parts of Lean. You need a buy in on the floor because the operators will be more help with the effort than a smart, eagle-eyed GM any day. The GM should be driving the effort but the emphasis on "parts out the door" fogs the eyes.

QMJones, you may want to look at the threads under ISO-9000 and System Thinking for more discussion.
The Lean Team was comprised of all Department Heads with the resultant charts floated out to the worker bees for approval and comment. This GM has complete loyalty from all the employees because of his no nonsense approach to Manufacturing and all Operations. Buy in was never the problem. Seeing the Emperor's New Clothes was. It can be a simple or as difficult as you want to make it. :p :ko:

R

Randy Stewart

You know better than I what the true problems were, I wasn't there. It has been my experience that a Lean Team made up of Department Mgrs. are #1 not very lean, look at the money being spent on the team, and #2 not real productive.
I'm not saying this happened at your shop, but things being rolled out by D.H's can be viewed as "no questions or comments wanted - just do it".

E

energy

No argument there

Randy Stewart said:
You know better than I what the true problems were, I wasn't there. It has been my experience that a Lean Team made up of Department Mgrs. are #1 not very lean, look at the money being spent on the team, and #2 not real productive.
I'm not saying this happened at your shop, but things being rolled out by D.H's can be viewed as "no questions or comments wanted - just do it".
You're right. But, I never saw such a well oiled machine as this Manager and his reportees. He has a flat line reporting system and all suggestions to improve processes/products were scrutinized and as efficient and streamlined as possible. For example, Project Engineers routinely sit with all hands in involved in the upcoming project. Alternate methods for achieving Customer requirements were often implemented due to the "workerbees" intimate knowledge of the processes. Quicker, cost effective and "meets or exceeds Customer Reqt's". That's just the way it is. :agree: :smokin:

G

gary.lister

Interesting comments. You may very well be right. We enjoy strong senior management support for Lean (and we've expanded it beyond manufacturing / production to adminsitrative, office, finance, engineering, design, etc.) at my organization (major US Air Force installation, 25,000 plus employees, mostly civilian), but in another life I run a small but growing professional association of people involved with Lean. Most of our members are front-line employees. Rarely do we get a senior manager as a member. Even less rarely does he or she contribute in the discussions.

I look forward to participating in these discussions and learning all I can about the implementation of Lean.

Regards,

Gary

Q

QA_Dude the White

Be careful of the "lean to the point of anorexia" phenomenon. In the search for the ultimate throughput, and as someone put it "fog in the eye" to get the parts out, my company has produced a metabolism that generates new failure modes.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Has anyone used shlomo Aviv-lean consultant? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
S PSW - Requirements for "off-the shelf" component that has multiply manufacturing locations Off the Shelf Item Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
L GRR for a tolerance that has changed Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
D Partial FAI - AS9102 - One single drawing has 10 part numbers AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
BeaBea ISO 9001 Customer Feedback Methods - What has worked for your company? Service Industry Specific Topics 17
S Has anybody done IMS - Management Review Meeting ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 8
M Has anyone has been through an MDR audit? (3/2020) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Has anyone heard of Run at Risk? Manufacturing and Related Processes 15
B ASA Aviation Supply Association - Has anyone heard of ASA? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
B Has anyone done an IEC 60601-1 gap analysis to IEC 60335? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 4
Z 510(k) usage - Company has 2 physically similar products Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
D Has anyone had sudden challenges from Korea-MFDS? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
Sidney Vianna IAQG News IAQG has a new website - December 2019 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
Richard Regalado ISO 22301:2019 has been published - Nov 2019 Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 0
S FAIR - If we have not produced a part in over 2 years, but nothing has changed AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
Nicole Desouza Who has to be compliant with REACH Declarations? REACH and RoHS Conversations 11
CycleMike GD&T - Hole pattern - Print (attached) has a single Datum Reference Frame Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
A Would an MRP system that has been in use for over 10 years require validation? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
W Informational VDI 2017 - Medical Grade Plastics - German VDI has published a "Richtlinie" Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
D FDA Biomarker Qualification Program - Has anyone prepared an application? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
U Hand-Held dosing device has no PATIENT - Interpretation of the PATIENT definition IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
L Has anyone heard of the 2 pan system? Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
N Technical File Reviewer has requested more testing to ISO 10993 Other Medical Device Related Standards 10
I Who has had to move from ISO 9001:2015 to ISO 13485 and what were the challenges? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M Informational Health Canada has launched an e-Learning tool to aid in understanding the premarket regulatory requirements for medical devices in Canada Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Has anyone here assessed the latest Abbreviated 510(K) guidance document? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
M Does anyone has a good verification and validation plan template? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
Sidney Vianna Informational UTC ASQR Rev.11 has a mistake; certification of distributors to IATF 16949 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
lilybef FDA and Biocompatability Testing - Reviewer has requested implantation testing Other Medical Device Related Standards 11
D Has anyone undergone a BARDA (HHS) audit as part of their grant process? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
Sidney Vianna LinkedIn bug - Anyone has any idea of how to fix this? Posts not showing for me in a Group feed. Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
M FDA News FDA Report - FDA Has Taken Steps to Strengthen The 510(k) Program Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
C Has an amended version of IEC 60601-1-6 TRF been released for use in conjunction with IEC62366-1:2015? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 0
planB ISO 10993-1:2018 has just been published Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
S ISO 13485 Consultant Question - The company has 5 part time employees ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
K Has anyone used QAI for training? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 7
Q MHRA has released a new guidance document related to 'GXP' Data Integrity EU Medical Device Regulations 3
B FDA Philippines has no check or balance outside the health department Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
S Doubts about SPC taken in Machining - Part has +-0.01 Tolerance Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
D Has anyone here had any experience with PQ-FMEA software? FMEA and Control Plans 1
P NPR Metric - What if Customer has relaxed measure? TL 9000 Telecommunications Standard and QuEST 1
D EU Harmonized Standards to which a company has declared compliance EU Medical Device Regulations 13
N Customer Survey Question Has Me Stumped - Compliance with Laws and Regulations Customer and Company Specific Requirements 4
B Records Destroyed - Hurricane Harvey has likely destroyed our Quality Systems Records Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 10
S Has anyone completed IATF 16949 Certification - Share your Audit Experience? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
B Procedure Pack - KIT - Each has its own CE Mark CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 6
E Print only has Reference Dimensions Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
S Has anyone created a Turtle Diagram reflecting the new ISO 9001:2015 Structure? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M Who has had a Transition Audit from TS 16949 to IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 120
M Has anyone done a Gage R&R for Spectrophotometer? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10