Have I got the right idea for my ISO 9000 compliance project...

S

SteveUK79

Hi Guys,

Ok to start with this is my first post on any forum anywhere :eek:

I've just started at my company as a Technical Manager (my first "Manager" job after a couple of years in support rolls), I look after all things IT related and was told when I was being interviewed that the company was aiming for ISO:9000 compliance and I would be the guy doing it.

It was decided that it would make sense (and cost less) to do as much of the work for ISO9000 compliance as possible BEFORE getting a consultant in. If anything this would reduce the costs of doing so.

Now I've done loads of research and also talked to people who have gone through the ISO process itself and I've started work on the document, but I was wondering if I could check with your good selves that I am heading in the right direction on this if I may?

So this is what I've come up with;

I took the company and effectively split it up into the major processes that make the company up as a whole,

Management
Sales
Manufacturing
Customer Support
Customer Training

I am also thinking about adding Marketing and IT as functions also.

Each one of the 5 headings is then broken down into subsections, for example;
Sales -
1. Sales process (text about the process in abstract with a flow diagram)
2. Ordering from Supplier post Sales process (with text and flow diagram explaining the process of ordering from supplier)
3. Receiving Stock from supplier (booking it into the system and how to handle issues which can arrive, also flow charted)
4. Dispatch to customer process (text and flow diagram)
5. Stock control process (text and flow diagram)
6. Reporting (reporting on sales performance, supplier performance, failures and customer feedback)

I document each part in an abstract way with an overview in the form of a flow chart allowing the reader to see how the process goes. With each section it is also documented with which individual (staff title/position not actual name) is responsible for each function.

I also intend to have an Appendix entry for every section where appropriate to document exactly how it's done (with examples of how to do it with the business management software we use, examples of documents that are used etc) to allow staff training manuals to be easily put together, especially for new starters.

I'm also planning on putting a company intranet together to allow all staff to access the full document at any time.

Now am I miles away from the idea or am I warm?

Thanks guys

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Hello Steve,

Welcome to The Cove Forums! :bigwave: :bigwave:

From what I have read, you're on the right track! :yes:

Please come back and post your questions and suggestions.

Stijloor.

S

SteveUK79

Thanks for that, as I've already done quite a lot that's a real relief :D

I've found that from what I have read it seems a lot of it is common sense.
The basic theory I'm following is;

1. Identify the major business functions
2. split it up into the process that make up the function
3. Abstract description of what it is and what is done in that process
4. flow chart the process to allow the reader to easily follow it (reader being a new employee training, a current employee making sure they're doing it right and the auditor!)
5. remember the reporting on the function bit - i.e. for the purposes of ISO record it being done right and identifiy weaknesses to allow improvement
6. Give examples of what is being done, what documents are used and how to allow the reader to learn how to do it and how to do it well.

Would you say this the correct idea then to carry through the entire document?

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
<snip> 6. Give examples of what is being done, what documents are used and how to allow the reader to learn how to do it and how to do it well.

Would you say this the correct idea then to carry through the entire document?

Number 6 would be applicable for training purposes, but is not necessary if the process support documentation provides sufficient detail.

Be careful not to get too carried away with "documents." You know already what documents are required by the Standard, the rest is really up to you. The question to ask is: "What documents do our people need to help them to be Safe, Effective, and Efficient?"

Hope this helps.

Stijloor.

S

SteveUK79

Yes I've seen a lot of warnings about over doing the documentation and yes it's a very fine balance between documentating something and going overboard.

When this document is finally finished we will start looking for consultants to go over it. Is there anything we need to look out for when vetting for a consultant to work with? i.e. if a consultant is more interested that we follow their procedures and document templates rather than using what we've done be best avoided?

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Yes I've seen a lot of warnings about over doing the documentation and yes it's a very fine balance between documentating something and going overboard.

When this document is finally finished we will start looking for consultants to go over it. Is there anything we need to look out for when vetting for a consultant to work with? i.e. if a consultant is more interested that we follow their procedures and document templates rather than using what we've done be best avoided?

Whe you select a consultant, you should determine what you expect this consultant to do. A good consultant will take a look at your entire business, its overall objectives, its processes, the documents that support all this, and the process objectives and associated measurements.

You determine what your system should look like, not the consultant. A good consultant can advise you on missing pieces in the system that are required and can offer suggestions and good practices.

Hope this helps.

Stijloor.

AndyN

Moved On
Steve - welcome to a fellow Englishman (well, Brit anyway!)

Using a good consultant from the beginning is likely to be most cost effective. I know you want to save money starting out and the spectre of using a poor consultant is enough to frighten most off using one. However, by not starting off with good guidance, you might already have wasted time and effort on your direction (just a thought).

My recommendation is a personal one - and I recognize that finding a good consultant is difficult in the Uk since the market is saturated and has been for years. I'd recommend calling Geoff Doole at Excel Partnership. Look on the internet for their number - he's in Hemel Hempstead.

As for documentation and processes, before you do too much more, the best way (IMHO) is to approach your management team with what they believe are the value adding and support processes. Some of what you listed might not be a process in their eyes and you will bear the 'blame' for getting it wrong from the outset.

When you call Geoff, tell him I sent you!

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Whoa! Not so fast on the consultant trigger!

Probably the major suggestion I have is to remember this is an ORGANIZATION (USA spelling;)), not a one-man show. Include the rest of your organization in the process of finding and determining what will work best for the ORGANIZATION.

Just as you rightly concern yourself with avoiding choosing a consultant who might try to impose HIS system on yours, you may fail to see you are imposing YOUR system on your ORGANIZATION.

It appears you have a good enough grasp of the minimums needed to comply with a Standard, so you won't necessarily require a consultant until you and your organization have a good handle on the most efficient business processes which are both effective and user-friendly. At that point, you might want the objective consultant to walk through a gap analysis of your system with all of you to do final "tweaking." Folks in an organization normally do a better job of "follow-through" when they are working with a system they had a lot of input in creating.

Paul Simpson

Trusted Information Resource
Hi Guys,

Ok to start with this is my first post on any forum anywhere :eek:
Welcome! I look forward to your questions ... we try to be helpful, honest! :D

I've just started at my company as a Technical Manager (my first "Manager" job after a couple of years in support rolls), I look after all things IT related and was told when I was being interviewed that the company was aiming for ISO:9000 compliance and I would be the guy doing it.
OK, you will have to explain the connection between IT and the "real business" the company does. No offence! ;)

BTW there are a lot of similarities between good quality work and the old systems analysts from IT - until the term got degraded through overuse. :lol:

It was decided that it would make sense (and cost less) to do as much of the work for ISO9000 compliance as possible BEFORE getting a consultant in. If anything this would reduce the costs of doing so.
As they say - you do what hits the buttons for you. My personal recommendation would be to get a consultant in early to steer you on the right path and then tell them to go back into the background until you are ready to use them again (for an audit?).

Otherwise all the steps you look to be taking are good ones!

S

SteveUK79

Thanks for all that guys!

I'm quite lucky in that a friend of mine ISO 9000'd his company before he sold it and when I told him about what I am doing just emailed me everything he had done for his company! He also now works for a much bigger company that is ISO 9000'd and also told me about what they do.
Additional to this I've also done a h*ll of a lot of reading off the web on this subject and have also picked up a couple of things from this site too.
So I have a lot of guidance on what is expected, it's just a case of putting it altogether for my employer and once all the basics are together the plan is to get a consultant in and let them point out all the bits that need tweeking.... well that's the "plan" anyway.

My job? Well my job is to actually put together a proper IT system as this company has kinda just got stuff when they needed it. Once my ISO'ing task is done I'll be coming up with a proper network design, server setup and purchasing policy. As well as working with one of the directors in overhauling existing software.

I enjoy the full confidence of the directors and also plan to put together a presentation for everyone in the company to attend to bring them up to date with what I am doing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom