Having trouble writing a directive (procedure) that points to the right place

B

biboy2012

I am looking for assistance in writing a conditional if statement in a narrative procedure. Please check my draft of a customer complaint procedure below. I'm having trouble making the flow logical. The directives didn’t point to the right place. For example, the CSR identifies severity level of customer complaint. He/she is allowed to select 3 conditions:

High priority
Medium priority
Low priority

I am not sure if my explanation is clear but you can undersand it from the attached file, a portion of a flowchart.

---
These tasks are performed whenever a Customer Service Representative recieves customer complaint.
Customer Service Representative
1. Receive customer compalint.
2. Log complaint on the system and indicate all the applicable information with corresponding Ticket Number.
3. Try to solve the issue on his/her own.
If CSR able to solve the complaint, goto task #4. Otherwise, goto task #6.
4. Inform the customer that his/her complaint was resolved through call or email or snail mail.
5. Close the issue by updating the system indicating the remark “Resolved”, actual date of resolution and the department who made the resolution.
End of activity.
6. Identify customer complaint type.
If High Priority?, goto task #7. Otherwise, goto task #______.
7. Tags compliant as “Urgent” and escalate the issue to concerned department (within XX hours)
8. Informs the customer that complaint/s is/are now resolved.
9. Monitor the progress of the complaint.
If complaint resolved?, goto task #10. Otherwise, goto task #_____.
10. Inform customer that his/her complaint is resolved already through call or email or snail mail.
11. Close the issue by updating the system indicating the remark as "Resolved", actual date of resolution and department who made the resolution.
End of activity.
If Medium Priority?, goto task #12. Otherwise, goto task #______.
12. Tag complaint as "Important" and escalate the issue to concerned department (within XX hrs).
13. Inform the customer that complaint/s is/are resolved already.
14. Monitor the progress of complaint.
If complaint resolved?, goto task #15. Otherwise, goto task #_____.
15. Inform customer that his/her complaint was resolved already.
16. Close the issue by updating the system indicating the remarks as "Resolved", actual date of resolution and the department who made the resolution.
End of activity.
If Low Priority?, goto task #17. Otherwise, goto task #______.
17. Tag complaint as "Monitor" and escalate the issue to concerned department.
18. Ask feedback to the concerned department about the escalated complaint.
19. Inform the customer that complain/s is/are resolved already.
20. Monitor the progress of the complaint.
If complaint resolved?, goto task #21. Otherwise, goto task #_____.
21. Inform customer that his/her complaint was resolved already thru call or email or snail mail.
22. Close the issue by updating the system indicating remarks as "Resolved", actual date of resolution and the department who made the resolution.
End of activity.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• portion of a flowchart.docx
    76.3 KB · Views: 138
Last edited by a moderator:
R

Randy Lefferts

Re: Having trouble writing a directive that point to the right place

I am looking for assistance in writing a conditional if statement in a narrative procedure. Please check my draft of a customer complaint procedure below. I'm having trouble making the flow logical. The directives didn’t point to the right place. For example, the CSR identifies severity level of customer complaint. He/she is allowed to select 3 conditions:

High priority
Medium priority
Low priority

I am not sure if my explanation is clear but you can undersand it from the attached file, a portion of a flowchart.

---
These tasks are performed whenever a Customer Service Representative recieves customer complaint.
2. Log complaint on the system and indicate all the applicable information with corresponding Ticket Number.
4. Inform the customer that his/her complaint was resolved through call or email or snail mail.
5. Close the issue by updating the system indicating the remark “Resolved”, actual date of resolution and the department who made the resolution.
End of activity.
7. Tags compliant as “Urgent” and escalate the issue to concerned department (within XX hours)
10. Inform customer that his/her complaint is resolved already through call or email or snail mail.
11. Close the issue by updating the system indicating the remark as "Resolved", actual date of resolution and department who made the resolution.
End of activity.
If Medium Priority?, goto task #12. Otherwise, goto task #______.
12. Tag complaint as "Important" and escalate the issue to concerned department (within XX hrs).
16. Close the issue by updating the system indicating the remarks as "Resolved", actual date of resolution and the department who made the resolution.
End of activity.
If Low Priority?, goto task #17. Otherwise, goto task #______.
21. Inform customer that his/her complaint was resolved already thru call or email or snail mail.
22. Close the issue by updating the system indicating remarks as "Resolved", actual date of resolution and the department who made the resolution.
End of activity.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It appears your difficulty is that High, Medium and Low priorities are not tagged with anything. Because they aren't actually a task, when you attempt to check if a high priority and they find that it isn't, you are trying to then send them to a task, which you can't since you have still to determine if the priority is either a medium or low priority, and so on.

Perhaps add a section tag to the high, med and low priority lines and then instead of sending them to a task in the narrative, send them to the section.

End of activity.
Section 1: If High Priority?, goto task #7. Otherwise, goto Section #__2____.
End of activity.
Section 2: If Medium Priority?, goto task #12. Otherwise, goto Section #__3____.
End of activity.
Section 3: Low Priority, goto task #17.
End of activity.

That fills in half the blanks. The remaining blanks are unable to be filled because there isn't an activity to send them to. Define what happens when you are unable to resolve complaints. The remaining blanks should send them to that new activity.

If I have totally misunderstood what you were asking, disregard what I posted. :)

RCW

Quite Involved in Discussions

Questions: Have you had the people in your company responsible for this process review this flowchart information yet? Could they follow the flow? As they are the ones most familiar with your business, be sure to get their input and feedback. Something might jump out at them a lot quicker than it would to any of us here.

B

biboy2012

Questions: Have you had the people in your company responsible for this process review this flowchart information yet? Could they follow the flow? As they are the ones most familiar with your business, be sure to get their input and feedback. Something might jump out at them a lot quicker than it would to any of us here.
Yes, we have. But I was not asking people here to check each task making sure the details is correct and consistent. Basically I was asking is to help me in writing a conditional statement that allows process owner to reach 3 different tasks.

Q

Quality_Steve

End of activity.

So what I am reading is
>CSR can't solve the problem
>CSR tells the department responsible for the problem
>CSR tells the customer it's all better
>CSR finds out if problem is actually solved

Shouldn't the Corrective Action Verification come before telling the customer the problem is fixed?:popcorn:

B

biboy2012

So what I am reading is
>CSR can't solve the problem
>CSR tells the department responsible for the problem
>CSR tells the customer it's all better
>CSR finds out if problem is actually solved

Shouldn't the Corrective Action Verification come before telling the customer the problem is fixed?:popcorn:
Right, but ignore (for now) the level of detail and correctness of the procedure. I have attached the draft of the complete process flow.

Is the flow logical? – Yes, the flow is logical by looking at it.

When it comes to this flowchart, I'm fine, but with regard to writing a narrative procedure with decision box, I can’t figure how all directives point to the right place given the 3 conditions (high priority, medium priority, low priority). If statement is answerable with a Yes/True or No/False.

Give me a popcorn. :D

Attachments

• darft_complete process flow of customer complaint procedure.docx
    214.1 KB · Views: 714
W

widetrack

Right, but ignore (for now) the level of detail and correctness of the procedure. I have attached the draft of the complete process flow.

Is the flow logical? – Yes, the flow is logical by looking at it.

When it comes to this flowchart, I'm fine, but with regard to writing a narrative procedure with decision box, I can’t figure how all directives point to the right place given the 3 conditions (high priority, medium priority, low priority). If statement is answerable with a Yes/True or No/False.

Give me a popcorn. :D
you are asking for a yes/no branch, however your flow chart does not use a yes/no branch at the decision block for priority type. the decision has 3 options as charted. should it not be is priority high, if no then next block, is priority medium, yes or no for low.

Q

Quality_Steve

you are asking for a yes/no branch, however your flow chart does not use a yes/no branch at the decision block for priority type. the decision has 3 options as charted. should it not be is priority high, if no then next block, is priority medium, yes or no for low.

I agree with widetrack.
:agree1:

B

biboy2012

Agreed. That's what I did in narrative procedure. Refer to OP for the draft procedure. But by looking at it you'll see that the trouble is about pointing directives to the right place out of 22 tasks/steps.

For example:
If High Priority?, goto task #7. Otherwise, goto task #______. (Task # what?)

If Medium Priority?, goto task #12. Otherwise, goto task #______. (Task # what?)

If Low Priority?, goto task #17. Otherwise, goto task #______. (Task # what?)

Q

Quality_Steve

I would consider writing it so if a low priority issue is not solved sufficiently within the allotted time it is escalated to a medium priority and if the problem is still not solved escalate to a high priority. Once you have reached the high priority level you should have your best resources working on it.:2cents:

Top Bottom