Hazardous material storage shed flooring material

A

Andrews

We are planning to collect and store hazardous material in barrels which will be kept in a separate shed.

Any suggestions on what type of flooring can be used for the hazardous waste shed in order to avoid land contamination.

Q

qualitypirate

Every electro-plating shop I have ever been in uses concrete floors and is set up like a giant tub with one drain the goes to a sump that can be easily monitored and managed. One of my Plating vendors goes so far as to have different drainage zones so materials that don't play well together wont mix.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
The flooring should be constructed of, or coated with a material that would not be harmed if a spill occurs. For example, acid can accelerate corrosion in steel so acid storage should incorporate more appropriate impervious materials. Secondary containment helps provide added control as qualitypirate has described.

You did not say what this material is, so I will refer you to (broken link removed).

I hope this helps!

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
We are planning to collect and store hazardous material in barrels which will be kept in a separate shed.

Any suggestions on what type of flooring can be used for the hazardous waste shed in order to avoid land contamination.

Have you checked with the authorities in your country?

Most places have container that in case of spillage, it will retain the same amount of what is in the containers.

Second point, the containers must be of material that does not react to the chemicals being contained.

Third point - don't forget about labeling or properly identify the area and what is in the container

and

What to do in case of an emergency or spillage.

M

MIREGMGR

If you use concrete, make sure that you are very clear to the designer/builder that any cracking due to foundation settling, curing stresses, weak mix, or any other reason throughout the entire planned life of the facility is intolerable.

Nothing would be less useful than a containment-pan floor with a crack across it, so that contained spills would drain straight into the underlying soil.

A

Andrews

The flooring should be constructed of, or coated with a material that would not be harmed if a spill occurs. For example, acid can accelerate corrosion in steel so acid storage should incorporate more appropriate impervious materials. Secondary containment helps provide added control as qualitypirate has described.

You did not say what this material is, so I will refer you to (broken link removed).

I hope this helps!

The material stored in the shed is used / spent oil. And it is stored in barrels. What kind of flooring / secondary containment can be provided?

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
The material stored in the shed is used / spent oil. And it is stored in barrels. What kind of flooring / secondary containment can be provided?
This depends on the additives. The EPA gives general advice in a page titled (broken link removed). If the oil has no toxic additives I have seen it stored in a secure area, in steel drums or other containers suitable for the oil having the ability to be closed securely, and stored with secondary containment in case of spillage. I often see used non-toxic oil stored in the manner shown in the image.

Attachments

• Hazardous material storage shed flooring material
    containment-11.png
    40.1 KB · Views: 251
Top Bottom