Hazardous Waste: Is this an appropriate interpretation

somashekar

Leader
Admin
If Discarded containers / barrels / liners contaminated with chemicals are catagorized as hazardous waste, then are Used Permanent markers, Whiteboard markers, Highlighter pens, Glitter pens .. etc to be considered as Hazardous waste during disposal.
How are organizations in India addressing such an issue.

S

samsung

If Discarded containers / barrels / liners contaminated with chemicals are categorized as hazardous waste, then are Used Permanent markers, Whiteboard markers, Highlighter pens, Glitter pens .. etc to be considered as Hazardous waste during disposal.
How are organizations in India addressing such an issue.

My views are as under:

1. Discarded containers/ barrels etc. are considered Hazardous Wastes only as long as they are contaminated with Hazardous Chemicals/ Hazardous waste.

2. Now, whether or not a chemical is hazardous, the definition (of Hazardous chemicals) as prescribed in the 'Manufacture, Storage & Import of Haz. Chemicals Rules, 1989' (MSIHC) shall apply, i.e. the chemicals satisfying the criteria laid down in Schedule 1, 2 & 3 are to be considered as Haz. chemicals. (please refer the Rules for full text of the definition)

3. Used Permanent markers, Whiteboard markers, Highlighter pens, Glitter pens etc. shouldn't be considered as Haz. Waste since none of these items fall into the processes generating Haz,. Waste listed in Schedule 1 and nor under Schedule II either because here the conc. limit will apply to the Hazardous constituent only which, in my opinion should be negligible compared to the prescribed limits. Moreover, it's very difficult to prove something as hazardous unless TCLP (Toxicity Characteristics Leaching Procedure) is done.

All the listed waste, in view of the foregoing discussion, can be safely classed as 'plastic wastes' and can be accordingly disposed.

Top Bottom