SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Hazards of Old Electronics

C

chriswhitehead

:mg:

We have loads of old electronic instrumentations in our stores that could be 30 years old. I'm tring to convince our management that its dangersous. We have already had a 30 years oscilloscope start smoking. I'm arguing that the caps are failing and the mains are not filtered or protected. They just think because this equipment passes pat tests then every thing is okay. Should we be condemning 30 year old electonic instrument such as psu's, scope, amps, sig gen, etc?

:deadhorse:

:thanx:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
S

silentrunning

If they are still in regular use, maybe you can perform a gage R&R on them and prove that they are not accurate enough for today's standards.

I would get rid of them simply because of some of the chemicals that may be present in the transformers and other components. They could be a health hazard as well as a fire hazard.

T

tomvehoski

Old does not necessarily mean hazardous or obsolete. A brand new oscilloscope could start smoking too. As long as there is nothing like frayed wires, pennies used to replace fuses, etc. there is no reason to get rid of something that is perfectly functional just because it is not of the newest vintage.

Mikishots

Trusted Information Resource
Old does not necessarily mean hazardous or obsolete. A brand new oscilloscope could start smoking too. As long as there is nothing like frayed wires, pennies used to replace fuses, etc. there is no reason to get rid of something that is perfectly functional just because it is not of the newest vintage.
Your point is not invalid, but comparing "30 years old" to "the newest vintage" may be a bit unfair. Energy concerns may also be valid - not just in consumption, but in possible damage when something goes. A CRT blowing is more to worry about that an LCD blowing.

S

silentrunning

It may not "necessairly mean" they will be hazardous etc., but there is a lot better chance for malfunction with a 30 year old piece of equipment than new state of the art gear. One of the first things I look at when I audit one of our suppliers is their equipment. I don't want to have to wait for an order because they are waiting for a part for an antiquated piece of equipment.

Hi

Since you are referring to 30 years old products, I would expect that:

a) Printed circuit boards (FR-2/FR-4 laminates and the like) contain banned bromo- or chloro- organic compounds (e.g. PBBE, PBB etc)
b) Many of the passive component (it is possible that these equipments were made with leaded components and not with Surface mounted ones) contain banned substances like Cadmium, Chromium (VI), Lead etc.
c) If the PCB has "electrolytic capacitors", there is also a possibility of drying of the electrolyte and the consequent "bursting" of the component
d) PVC in insulators etc., is potentially harmful in case of fire

With kind regards

Ramakrishnan

Mikishots

Hi

Since you are referring to 30 years old products, I would expect that:

a) Printed circuit boards (FR-2/FR-4 laminates and the like) contain banned bromo- or chloro- organic compounds (e.g. PBBE, PBB etc)
b) Many of the passive component (it is possible that these equipments were made with leaded components and not with Surface mounted ones) contain banned substances like Cadmium, Chromium (VI), Lead etc.
c) If the PCB has "electrolytic capacitors", there is also a possibility of drying of the electrolyte and the consequent "bursting" of the component
d) PVC in insulators etc., is potentially harmful in case of fire

With kind regards

Ramakrishnan
This is understood, but a bit off topic; if you scrapped the device today or decided to use it for a year or two more, the harmful materials remain. It makes no difference.

HI

The point that I wanted to make is that in those days we did not consider these chemical hazards in the products. The present day products (governed by RoHS and similar legislation all over the world) are not likely to have these chemical substances. As a person who was involved in developing electronics products without these hazardous substances I thought I would highlight this important issue.

It is not off the subject; the hazard is related to the chemical substances present in the product and such products can cause more health issues in case of fire accidents (fire can take place any time; also note Chris refers to oscilloscope starting to smoke). It does make a difference if you consider the possibility of fire in the store.

With regards

Ramakrishnan

Last edited:

Mikishots

HI

The point that I wanted to make is that in those days we did not consider these chemical hazards in the products. The present day products (governed by RoHS and similar legislation all over the world) are not likely to have these chemical substances. As a person who was involved in developing electronics products without these hazardous substances I thought I would highlight this important issue.

It is not off the subject; the hazard is related to the chemical substances present in the product and such products can cause more health issues in case of fire accidents (fire can take place any time; also note Chris refers to oscilloscope starting to smoke). It does make a difference if you consider the possibility of fire in the store.

With regards

Ramakrishnan
Yes, he mentioned that the scope was smoking - but his last sentence was general, not specifically referring to that device. Applying a specific scenario as being the case for all his devices is off topic.

I have no intention of continuing this; I agree that a hazard is present, but I will also maintain that just be cause it "can" doesn't mean it "will".

S

silentrunning

I thank Dr .Ramakrishnan for his thoughtful input on this topic. I find that people can often add new insight into a potential problem that hasn't been brought up yet and in no way do I consider that "off topic".

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I Сorrespondence between hazards and risks ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
E Normal Condition Hazards in Risk Analysis ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
E PEMS Hazards - IEC 60601 Clause 14.6 - Internal data use - Pressure sensor IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
T How do you define your Hazards? <a Risk Management discussion> ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 16
K Identification of hazards and Risk file IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 7
M Identifying Hazards - Risk management process ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 6
M Medical Device News ECRI – 2019 Top 10 Health Technology Hazards Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
D Hazard analysis for our medical device - Hazards seem to overlap 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
D Product Safety in AS9100D Clause 8.1.3 - Hazards Analysis AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 18
M ECRI Top 10 Health Technology Hazards for 2017 Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
Jen Kirley How to evaluate hazards in using bar code scanners in chemical manufacturing Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 1
D Different kinds of Risk Analysis for various Hazards ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
M Control Measures for Hazards already deemed Low Risk ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 6
O Hazards vs. Hazardous Situation Confusion ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 11
E Harms Severity Scoring - Combination of Hazards ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
C List of Potential Hazards Definitions in Annex E of BS EN ISO 14971:2009 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
P ESD and Bio-Hazards in a Medical Equipment Repair/Maintenance Facility Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
S Refinery Cold Weather Hazards! Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
S Should Identified Hazards and Risks necessarily have Linkage with Legal Requirements? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 8
K Do you have to use RPN in Medical Device Risk Analysis? Identification of Hazards ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 6
S Do Environmental 'Aspects' and 'Hazards' express the same idea? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 5
S Should the hazards with negligible risks be documented and/or reviewed? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 11
Sidney Vianna ISO/TS 22002-1:2009 gives food manufacturers new tool to control hazards Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 0
C HACCP in Egg Production - Controlling hazards at the farm level Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 7
E ISO14971 - Determination of possible hazards (SU, UU, PC) ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
K Should we rate according to the prob. a risk will occur or that risk causes hazards? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
F Oxygen Concentrator Hazards ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
M PFMEA Detection Rating for Operator Hazards FMEA and Control Plans 5
H Safety Hazards Finding and Recommendation Report - Seeking Format Examples Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 0
S Painting on Floor of Machine Shop - What Aspects/Impacts and Hazards to consider? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 10
R Old computers available Buy, Sell or Trade - NO Commercial Advertisements 0
M Why are EU harmonized particular standards so old & out-of-date? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 11
Q New QMS...Old Projects ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M Old Master Schedules - How Long to Keep? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
G Adopting old product - compliance with IEC 62304 IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 9
I Old Time Scatter diagrams for defect type and location- software Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 7
C Refreshing an old and boring topic - Job descriptions and Roles vs Process Documentation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 38
Q Old products new class - Dental Devices - Choosing tests EU Medical Device Regulations 2
K Old medical devices -> 7.3.7. Design and development validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M Interesting Discussion Curious old drawings about electrical shock and safety IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
Marc Interesting Discussion The periodic table is 150 years old - March 2019 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 3
Marc Old Registered Visitors "Pruned" from the Database - 20180916 Forum News and General Information 0
Marc 200-year-old museum in Rio de Janeiro Destroyed by Fire - 2 SEPT 2018 World News 2
C Document Control - old revision vs new revision Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 22
Marc Adventures in Design Quality Assurance - Two-week-old Pixel 2 XL displays World News 0
A Training Program Help - Old docs, new docs, so many docs... ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
K Canada License Amendment - Old Product to New Product Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
B Old GD&T Symbol "~" Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
L Sources for Searching Old Electronic Parts Specs (Counterfeit Inspection) Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
Q Modifying an old printed record? ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10