Heading dies as "tooling" and AS9100

Backstory, I just got hired here about 4 months ago but have a long history of working in aerospace manufacturing facilities (purchasing).
OK, so we are a "heading" manufacturer of socket head screws etc... I have a few questions about the tooling and it's applicability to any AS or ISO requirements.

The Quality Dept. and most everyone else treats the dies, punches, and other tooling required to "head" fasteners as nothing important. Like other cutting tools we buy from MSC let's say.. (This tooling is creating the shape of the fasteners, how could it NOT be important?)

For each tool (die, punch, hammer, knock out pin), we create it's own drawing with revisions, etc.. and supply those to the vendor with each new PO.
The fact that we created a drawing with revisions, doesn't that mean we need to be inspecting every new lot or item to that drawing? Checking if it's got the RC required per that drawing? Was the correct material used as per the drawing? (Management thinking is "the suppliers know what we want, and we trust them to make as per the print so we don't need to check it..) OMG !!! Really??

These items do not get "inspected" by the Quality Dept. like the coil wire (raw material) does. They have the tool crib people just doing some simple caliper checks of dimensions when they come in from our suppliers. (Doesn't that mean they should be "trained" to do this task? Shouldn't it be in their job description?)

I've also seen some "rejections" to the suppliers for not meeting the dimensions on our print. (Why are we NCRing something that "isn't important" - When we do, aren't we now saying "it's important"?) I'm new to this company and it smells like a potential finding but I can't seem to get anyone to agree with me. What part of which standard proves my point? Or I am concerned about things I shouldn't be? Thank you for your input!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

outdoorsNW

Quite Involved in Discussions
If I understand what you are saying right, the tooling is not checked as carefully as the raw materials.

Now, inspection is non value add work, so if you have good tooling suppliers but not so good raw material suppliers (maybe the only options are big companies that consider your company to be a small customer not worthy of special attention), then checking raw materials more may be justified. On the other hand, is the tooling likely to create more bad product than the raw materials? If yes, then the tooling probably needs to be checked more by people who are better trained.

A lot of this comes down to how common a quality problem of each is, and what the consequences are (cost, lost time, possible escapes, etc.). From your post, I don't see a clear answer.

Some more details would be helpful in understanding where the failures are, the consequences of the failures.

As to AS9100, can your company show the amount of inspection is related to the risk, frequency, and effects of a problem? If yes, you may be fine. But without more details I can't be sure.

If I understand what you are saying right, the tooling is not checked as carefully as the raw materials.

Now, inspection is non value add work, so if you have good tooling suppliers but not so good raw material suppliers (maybe the only options are big companies that consider your company to be a small customer not worthy of special attention), then checking raw materials more may be justified. On the other hand, is the tooling likely to create more bad product than the raw materials? If yes, then the tooling probably needs to be checked more by people who are better trained.

A lot of this comes down to how common a quality problem of each is, and what the consequences are (cost, lost time, possible escapes, etc.). From your post, I don't see a clear answer.

Some more details would be helpful in understanding where the failures are, the consequences of the failures.

As to AS9100, can your company show the amount of inspection is related to the risk, frequency, and effects of a problem? If yes, you may be fine. But without more details I can't be sure.
To be honest, I have to say that from what I've seen, we have caught potential problems with the tooling and the wire BEFORE we started making fasteners. But I agree with "consequences".. if the forming dies are not made to the right dimensions, we wouldn't find out until after we've already started to run the wire through the heading machines. Lost time and raw material.

That being said, I suppose just because I think it's a potential for something to go bad, doesn't mean something will. Like I said, I've only been here a few months and this company has been around for 50 years. I'm sure if something bad was going to happen, it already would have and the powers that be, have already mitigated that risk. And if absolutely nothing has been done, then successful audits thus far should be my answer. Go find something else to do! Thanks for your reply,

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Heading dies as "tooling" and AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
AnaMariaVR2 Pharma is heading towards Social Media Marketing - #FDASM US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
A Do we need to the requirements listed under the heading NOTE General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
D Heading an Internal Audit Program - What training is required? Internal Auditing 2
Nicole Desouza AS9100D - Calibration of Dies & Tooling - Plastic Extrusion AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
Marc Astronaut Gene Cernan Dies At 82 - The Last Man to Walk on the Moon World News 5
Marc James Garner dies at age 86 World News 2
Marc Johnny Winter, blues guitarist, dies aged 70 World News 0
Ajit Basrur Amar G. Bose, Acoustic Engineer and Inventor, Dies at 83 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 8
Marc Dave Brubeck dies at 91 - American jazz pianist World News 3
Marc North Carolina legend Andy Griffith dies at 86 World News 1
A Quality Giant Dies: Dr. Genichi Taguchi: RIP - June 2nd 2012 Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 0
D Chemical Training in use of Sodium Hydroxide to clean Extrusion Dies Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
QMMike Extrusion Dies - Perishable Tooling? APQP and PPAP 4
Marc 'Rosie The Riveter' Inspiration Dies At 86 World News 5
P SMED - Single Minute Exchange of Dies template (tabular column) wanted Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 8
P SMED (Single Minute Exchange of Dies) - Project guidelines/ example required Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
A Helical Cooling for Aluminium Die Casting Dies Information wanted Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
B Is Design of Molds and Dies a Special Process ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
L Control of Nonconforming Product in a Tool Shop - Scrap Dies Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
Stijloor Walter Cronkite, Iconic Anchorman, Dies World News 3
CarolX 'Charlie's Angel' Farrah Fawcett dies at 62 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 6
Marc Andrew Wyeth, American Painter, Dies At 91 World News 0
Stijloor Four Tops vocalist Levi Stubbs dies at 72 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
J Pronunciation of SMED (Single Minute Exchange of Dies) Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 10
Marc Paul Neuman dies at 83 - RIP - September 2008 World News 5
SteelMaiden 'Golden Girls' actress Estelle Getty dies at 84 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
SteelMaiden George Carlin dies of heart failure. World News 9
S Single Minute Exchange of Dies (SMED) Information Manufacturing and Related Processes 17
A Computer dies After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 17
A Can single minute exchange of dies concept be used in office? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 8
A Can SMED (Single Minute Exchange of Dies) be applied to office environment? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 18
Marc 'Archie' artist Joe Edwards dies - Archie Andrews and his pals - RIP World News 5
G Steve "Croc Hunter" Irwin dies from Stingray Barb in Heart World News 14
D Toyota SMED (Single Minute Exchange of Dies) Clarification Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 12
K Identifying production dies to satisfy the 7.5.4 Customer Property clause ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
S Engine Control System - Severity of an engine failure ('dies') in a truck or bus FMEA and Control Plans 17
S Looking for company to calibrate cutting dies with A2LA, IAS, or NVLAP accreditation General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
Jim Wynne Dennis Weaver Dies at age 81 World News 6
Marc Don Knotts (Barney Fife) dies at 81 World News 7
D North American Aviation founding executive Ralph Ruud dies World News 0
Marc Al Lewis, Beloved as 'Grandpa Munster,' Dies at 95 World News 1
P Single Minute Exchange of Dies and Rollfeeds - SMED in press shops Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
Marc Richard Prior Dies at age 65 World News 0
Marc Peter F. Drucker dies at 95 World News 2
Marc Civil rights legend Rosa Parks dies at 92 World News 3
Marc Don Adams of 'Get Smart' dies at 82 World News 4
SteelMaiden "Gilligan's Island" actor Bob Denver dies at age 70 World News 8
SteelMaiden Moog synthesizer inventor dies World News 0
Marc ABC News Anchor Peter Jennings Dies at 67 World News 0