Health Canada Field Action/Recall MDR Requirements

jkc3usc

Involved In Discussions
Company initiated a recall on some mislabeled product. They are registered in CA but no affected product was distributed in CA. Do I still need to fill out a medical device recall form even though there will be no action taken in CA?

Filed an MDR with health CA and stated no product was located in CA so no action would be required? Is that substantial enough

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor
I'm not sure it's entirely clear that reporting to Health Canada was required but now that you've filed the initial report, you will probably also need to file the final report.

https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/h...t-rapport/gui-0054_recall-retrait-doc-eng.pdf

I'm just going from the information from the link above and don't have personal experience with MDR in Canada. But you're in the system now if you've filed something so it would be best to see it through because otherwise it will be open in their system and cause you a problem down the road.

SK13485

MedDev QA/RA
I clearly don't understand your story. If the products are not sold/distributed in Canada,a health canada recall is not required. But a recall will be required in the region where the mislabeled product is sold or distributed. I believe a MDR is also not required in this case. Please see the criteria for Health Canada MDReporting.

Since you chose to report it to Health Canada via MDR, you might need to wait for their reply or contact them through their email. I hope this answers your question.

RA Guy

Involved In Discussions
No recall notification is required if affected product was not manufactured in, sold in or imported into Canada. Now that you've sent a notification you should be contacted by the inspectorate. The assigned officer will help you resolve the closure if the notification was not necessary.

You mentioned MDR. If you mean a report similar to the FDA Medical Device Report, its called MPR (Mandatory Problem Reporting) in Canada. This type of report is required for incidents that involve actual or potential death or seriuos injury. If the event(s) happened outside Canada, but the product is sold ino Canada, you would only need to report if the manufacturer or a foreign regulator determined corrective action is required as a result of the incident.

Alternately, you can follow up with the appropriate regional office (based on your geographic location) to resolve. The contact list is here:

Guide to Recall of Medical Devices (GUI-0054) - Canada.ca

In case you were not aware, here is a trove of information on post market reporting issues:
Medical Devices - Canada.ca

jkc3usc

Involved In Discussions
So since the affected product is not in that country I still think they need notification? The product is registered in CA. Action was taken in the specific countries that product was located.

So if a product is registered but affected product is not in that country no notification is necessary?

RA Guy

Involved In Discussions
For a recall, no, you do not need to notify Health Canada if no affected product was manufactured, importer or sold in Canada.

Here are the Canadian regluations pertaining to recall:

Medical Devices Regulations

Here is an expansion on the policies:

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-can...-health-product/drugs/recall-policy-0016.html

Please note Section 5.0 of the policy doument where is states:
It is the policy of the Inspectorate to verify that recalls of health products in Canada are conducted and reported in accordance with the Act and the Regulations.

The way I understood your description of the issue is that no affected product was ever in Canada, therefore there is nothing to recall in Canada, therefore there is no need to report to Health Canada.

RA Guy

Involved In Discussions
Supadrai, I don't understand the question.

Your original post states the "no product was located in CA" so that's the basis of my original response and futher responses. Your original post also states that you formally notified HC that no product was in Canada.

Supadrai, I don't understand the question.

Your original post states the "no product was located in CA" so that's the basis of my original response and futher responses. Your original post also states that you formally notified HC that no product was in Canada.
Hi RA Guy, I'm not the OP. I was just raising a question.

Is it possible that someone re-exported the product to Canada from another jurisdiction. But I think that importer would need a license also and OP would be aware of such a license even if not aware of any particular shipment to CA.

And if OP wasn't aware of any shipment of their product, could they still be held responsible.

This situation has come up for us, not in Canada and not with respect to any post-market. But our products have ended up places we didn't intend them to go.

RA Guy

Involved In Discussions
Apologies supadrai.

You are correct that Importer has a role and responsibilites and ultimately the manufacturer has primary responsibility for what it or its licenced agents do on their behalf and how post market reporting is managed.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Edward Reesor Impact of Health Canada Summary Reports Canada Medical Device Regulations 4
T Emailing Health Canada - response time? Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
S Submit to Health Canada with only MDSAP report? Canada Medical Device Regulations 5
B Health Canada Submission Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
B Health Canada - Blood Glucose Meter Registration Canada Medical Device Regulations 0
M Is it Necessary to Use Health Canada Form when Reporting? Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
Z NHP Health Canada Private Labelling Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
M Quality management certification required by Health Canada Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
C New Class III medical device application for Health Canada Canada Medical Device Regulations 6
N Medical Device Misclassified by Health Canada Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
M Informational Health Canada – Drug and medical device highlights 2018: Helping you maintain and improve your health Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
M Informational Health Canada guidance document – Pre-market Requirements for Medical Device Cybersecurity Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational Health Canada – Mandatory reporting requirements for hospitals Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational Health Canada launches consultations to improve the safety of medical devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational Health Canada – Notice: Revisions to the Guidance Document: Management of Applications for Medical Device Licences Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
L Medical Device Accessory - Health Canada guidance / definition on what an accessory is Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
M Informational Health Canada – Fees for Drugs and Medical Devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational Health Canada – Guidance Document: Supporting Evidence for Implantable Medical Devices Manufactured by 3D Printing Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational Health Canada advises Allergan of its intent to suspend its licences for Biocell breast implants as a precautionary measure Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Different websites for different markets - FDA, Health Canada or other requirements Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 4
M Informational Health Canada has launched an e-Learning tool to aid in understanding the premarket regulatory requirements for medical devices in Canada Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational Health Canada begins release of clinical data Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational Publication of Draft Health Canada Implementation Guidance for the International Medical Device Regulators Forum Table of Contents Format Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
E How do you identify what standards a country recognizes outside of FDA, EU, Health Canada Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
S Health Canada's Action Plan on Medical Devices - 2019 milestones Canada Medical Device Regulations 0
M Medical Device News Health Canada – Consultation: Pre-market Requirements for Medical Device Cybersecurity Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Medical Device News Health Canada Notice of intent: Strengthening the post-market surveillance and risk management Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
M Medical Device News Health Canada - Scientific Advisory Panel on Software as a Medical Device (SAP-SaMD) - Record of Proceedings – January 26, 2018 Canada Medical Device Regulations 0
M Medical Device News Health Canada - Medical Device Single Audit Program (MDSAP) Transition Plan Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
M Medical Device News Health Canada update - Applications for Medical Device Investigational Testing Authorizations Canada Medical Device Regulations 0
M Medical Device News Health Canada - Proposed Changes - List of Recognized Standards for Medical Devices Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
M MDSAP Transition - Health Canada Website Notice on Apr 13 2018 Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
M Medical Device News Health Canada Update - 05-09-18 - Pilot Device Advice Canada Medical Device Regulations 0
M Medical Device News Health Canada update 28-08-18 - Licensing Requirements for 3D-Printed Devices Canada Medical Device Regulations 0
R Medical Device License - CMDCAS certificate release - Health Canada Canada Medical Device Regulations 0
Edward Reesor Health Canada to increase PMS requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
F Health Canada Registration : Company and/or 3PL ? Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
J Revised MDSAP Audit Model - Health Canada - October 30, 2017 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
L Health Canada email re fee proposals sent to group - driving me mad! Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
S Medical Device License Renewal (MDL) Period - Health Canada Canada Medical Device Regulations 6
B Health Canada Recall Definition - Seeking Clarification Canada Medical Device Regulations 5
M Medical Device Accessories - Health Canada - CMDR Section 21 Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
S Reclassification of a Medical Device by Health Canada Canada Medical Device Regulations 4
Q "Documented Procedure" Health Canada Canada Medical Device Regulations 8
JoCam Format of Health Canada pre-market licence application Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
B Processing Time for a new Health Canada Class II Medical Device Licence Application Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
M Health Canada Private Label Guidance Confusion - Quality System Required? Canada Medical Device Regulations 5
B Health Canada Acceptance Policy of Foreign Clinical Trial Data for Devices Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
S Health Canada (HC) accepts e-format for regulatory submissions Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
T Health Canada - Device Changes to include in License Renewal Canada Medical Device Regulations 3