Health Care: Company "Wellness Programs"

S

SteelWoman

Company "Wellness Programs"

Our company is about to implement a "Wellness Program," and at the same time implement a "token" increase in health care costs to the employee, with the "carrot" that if you enroll in the Wellness Program that increased health care cost will be credited back to you (we're talking less than $50 a month). My understanding (haven't got the official info yet) is that if you enter the program you'll be asked to fill out a fairly lengthy questionnaire which may/may not be joined with your blood work (if you contributed it to an annual Health Fair) to figure out whether you are High/Moderate/or Low Risk. If you are mod or high you will be handed a Wellness Plan, with stated goals that you should try to achieve (ie, if weight is an issue, it might have a "goal" of eating 5 servings of veggies a day - that's straight off the company's website that will be overseeing the program). I understand you have the OPTION after enrolling and being ranked to tell them to go take a hike - I'm doing fine, thank you, 'preciate your advice but GO AWAY. Course it's also my understanding that they also rank your "willingness to change" and I'm assuming that would plunge you to the bottom of THAT ranking.

Anyway, I'm wondering if ya'll have had experience with this kind of thing and what your Humble Opinion's are of it? I understand completely the company perspective that it should, in theory at least, decrease their health care costs over time, and I've actually looked into it quite a bit and I DO find evidence of that when the programs are instituted at organizations. I'm all for that part. But I have some REALLY serious PRIVACY concerns, for which I am being boo-hoo'd by some as "paranoid." But this smacks of Orwellian nastiness to me. I don't care how many times someone tells me it WON'T happen, prove to me that down the road you're either A) NOT going to make promotion considerations based on people's "ranking" or B) NOT going to later implement a staggered health care costs, whereby Joe who is LOW risk pays less than Tom who is HIGH risk.

Jump in folks - anxious to hear your thoughts. Am I the ONLY ONE OUT THERE WHO READ ORWELL?!?!?! :ko:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

CarolX

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
SteelWoman said:
Jump in folks - anxious to hear your thoughts. Am I the ONLY ONE OUT THERE WHO READ ORWELL?
This kinda stuff just scares the you-know-what outta me....I say run, quickly!!! LOL

CX

S

SteelWoman

As of right this minute I'm not planning to join - it's worth the $$ to maintain my privacy. I'm just not comfy with my employer having this kind of detailed health info, even though they tell me THEY won't have it, the company that handles the Wellness Program will have it. Fine, but who PAYS THEM?!?

I'm just trying to get outside my "box" - am I just being paranoid or ?? Shut up and join because it'll save me $$ and as I've heard a dozen times, "That kind of information is 'out there' on everyone anyway..." ????

C

Craig H.

Steel:

I don't like their approach. This is a classic misapplication of statistics if I ever saw one.

By rating everyone high, medium and low, they are making the implicit assumption that they have the ability to take ALL factors into account, and that those factors have the same impact on everyone.

So, someone a little overweight is a higher risk than someone who races cars on the weekend? Do they even ask about racing, sky diving, snow skiing, etc? Are they eventually going to take your blood sample and analyze your DNA to see if you have the heart attack (drug abuse, diabetes) gene? If not now, as you pointed out, what about later? Even if they say the info won't be used to make personnel decisions, without proof, who can say if it is a factor or not.

Saying they don't have the info is a little shaky. How well does your "grapevine" work? Where I am, the informal communications are detailed, speedy, and pretty accurate.

No, Steel, I do not think you are paranoid. Sounds more like "pragmatic" to me.

Craig

S

SteelWoman

Yup, I ride a motorcycle and I understand that makes me high risk right off the bat. I guess my Wellness Plan would be SCREW the environment, drive that gas guzzler to work!! It kills us ALL (enviornmentally) but it keeps YOU healthy.

My first instinct is to trust people and think, "Good idea, and they will probably save me and the company some money."
My second instinct is to ask, "Please give me a copy of the contract between between Wellness, Inc. and MyCompany.com so that I can have my attorney review it. I'd like to make sure that my privacy is assured, today and forever," and see what reaction I get.
Third instinct: Run, Steel, run!! Not fast enough, ride, Steel, ride!

Laughter is the best medicine.

I'll be sending you, Wellness, Inc. and MyCompany.com all a bill. BTW, I just re-read 1984 over Labor Day weekend. Shiver me timbers!

gpainter

Quite Involved in Discussions
We had a wellness program at my previous employer that consisted of:
1. discounts to different health clubs in the area
2. 100 % reimbursement for safety shoes
3. free yearly flu shots
4. monthly newsletter
5. $50.00 saving bond to pregnant mothers who visit the docter as required.
6. PSA and cholestrol screenings for $10 (actually discovered cancer in one person and saved their life).
7. Blood test(SMAC 24) for less than $10 (caught several diseases in early stages)
8. healthier food in vending area.
9. work areas with high injury (pulls and strains) had 10 min paid time for stretching.
10 3 paid sick days.

S

SteelWoman

We ALREADY have most of your list in place, before the implementation of this wellness program. I understand one of the "benefits" is, for instance, let's say they determine you're diabetic (or you disclose it or whatever) the program will provide you with diabetic testing supplies... or BP cuff if you need to monitor your bp, or whatever. Don't know if that will extend to healthclub membership. More details coming, but count me still wary...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Informational US FDA – Programmable CSF Shunts and Magnetic Field Interference with Implanted Hearing Devices – Letter to Health Care Providers Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M FDA News USFDA – Breast Implant Associated- Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma (BIA-ALCL) – Letter to Health Care Providers Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational UK – Brexit operational readiness guidance for the health and care system in England Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
M Medical Device News Letter to the health and care sector: update on preparations for a potential no-deal Brexit Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
bio_subbu USFDA issues final guidance on "Reprocessing Medical Devices in Health Care Settings" Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
AnaMariaVR2 The FDA vs. 23andMe: A Lesson for Health Care Entrepreneur US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
AnaMariaVR2 Which Emerging Markets Are the Best Bets for Health Care Investment Returns? Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 0
Q FDA Bacteriological Analytical Manual (BAM) - Health Care Items Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
M FMEA Severity Ratings for Health Care Information System FMEA and Control Plans 10
M Risk Analysis using FMEA Process Flow Chart - Health Care Information System FMEA and Control Plans 6
Marc Going abroad to find affordable health care World News 5
H ISO 11134-98-CAN/CSA Sterilization of Health Care Products - Requirements for Validat Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
S Health care, social services and measuring equipment Service Industry Specific Topics 6
M Possible thread moves? (To the New Hospital and Health Care Providers forum) Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 3
J Why document control matters - Hospital or Health Care Environment Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 2
Stijloor Health Care Report (AIAG) World News 0
Wes Bucey Mistake Proofing in Health Care World News 7
M How is 7.5.5 Preservation of Product applicable to Health Care Services? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
H A future in Health Care and Quality Career and Occupation Discussions 12
Marc Health Care Services - What's Really Propping Up The US Economy World News 7
ScottK Health Care Quality of the Maternity ward... Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 9
W Health Care Business QA - What Q's to ask? Service Industry Specific Topics 1
Marc Ford, UAW Sign Tentative Health Care Pact That Trims Benefits World News 0
A What is Classification of Class A Certificate? OTC health care and consumer products Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
Wes Bucey GM scores big against union members! Slash health-care costs World News 40
Wes Bucey Quality in the Health Care Industry Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 16
M Quality management certification required by Health Canada Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
dgrainger Informational EU medical device website change from 'Growth' to 'Health and Food Safety' (6/2020) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
C New Class III medical device application for Health Canada Canada Medical Device Regulations 6
F Is there such a thing as 'Critical supplier' status under the Dept. of Health (UK)? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
Marc Security in Health Industry Software - February 2020 IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 0
M Informational US FDA paper – Epidemiological Evidence on the Adverse Health Effects Reports in Relation to Mercury from Dental Amalgam: Systematic Literature Review Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational US FDA CDRH’s Health of Women Program Strategic Plan Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational Medical Device Safety Action Plan: Protecting Patients, Promoting Public Health Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
dgrainger QMS for device "use" in a Health Institution? EU Medical Device Regulations 7
N Medical Device Misclassified by Health Canada Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
T Legalizing ISO 13485 certification with an US state department of health ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
Watchcat Office of In Vitro Diagnostic and Radiological Health (OIR) De novos 2018 Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
M Informational TGA – Advertising health products: Rules about safety claims in advertising Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational Health Canada – Drug and medical device highlights 2018: Helping you maintain and improve your health Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
M Informational US FDA – Digital Health Update: Mid-Year Update on Software Precertification Program Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
S Implementing a 45001 Health & Safety standard - Internal audit plan wanted Internal Auditing 1
M Informational US FDA – Requests for Supervisory Review of Certain Decisions Made by the Center for Devices and Radiological Health – Final Rule Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational Health Canada guidance document – Pre-market Requirements for Medical Device Cybersecurity Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational Health Canada – Mandatory reporting requirements for hospitals Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational Health Canada launches consultations to improve the safety of medical devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational EU MDR and IVDR Factsheet for healthcare professionals and health institutions Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational EU – Employment, Social Policy, Health and Consumer Affairs Council Public session (Health) – AOB – medical devices Implementation of the regulation o Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational US – National Evaluation System for Health Technology Coordinating Center (NESTcc) Solicits Public Comments for Data Quality and Methods Frameworks Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational Health Canada – Notice: Revisions to the Guidance Document: Management of Applications for Medical Device Licences Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0