Heat treated impact driver sockets hardness - Material is Chrome - Vanadium steel

P

peter

Any ideas what the hardness of heat treated impact driver sockets should be. Material is Chrome - Vanadium steel. Sockets are 1/2" drive and range from 11mm to 24mm.

Many thanks

peterh

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Hardness requirements are based on their intended use. The amount of torque they will be expected to deliver, for example. What requirements will these tools be serving?

P

peter

Hi Jennifer,

Sockets are for use with general purpose 1/2" impact wrenches, max torque 540Nm.

K

Kevin H

Peter, I'm going out on a limb a bit and am pulling from memory from old (about 18 years ago) contacts. I'm also assuming by heat treated that you mean quenched and tempered. My estimate (WAG) would be a Rockwell C hardness in the low to mid 30's - hard enough for wear resistance, but also tough enough for impact resistance. (Rc 32/38) Slightly harder than some of the ASTM bolting standards for AISI 4140 grade steel.

Are you hoping to manufacture these, or are you asking from a user viewpoint? If you're manufacturing, I would expect there is some standard they need to meet that I'm not familiar with.

P

peter

Thanks Kevin

We plan to purchase the Sockets and add to our product range but need to confirm hardness is ok. Results of hardness checks we have had carried out gave 500Hv, which is higher than your values! The lab' that checked them confirm this level is ok - but I will do a little more investigation and user testing before we commit to purchase!!

Again many thanks for your response

Peter H

apestate

Quite Involved in Discussions
There is an active US Federal standard (or specification) on the subject of impact sockets.

From GGG-W-660A

1/4 to 5/8 = Min 38, Max 55
3/4 to 1-1/2 = Min 35, Max 48

Type 1, Class 5 sockets shall be either hardened and tempered or case hardened having a hardness equivalent to Rockwell C 50 to 68.

(Inch, Rockwell C)

Available from ASSIST-Online, http://assist.daps.dla.mil

Top Bottom