Heavy tare to simulate high load in a routine sensitivity test of a floor scale?

Hello,

I use a scale with a maximum capacity of 2000 kg, with 3 working ranges 500 kg/1000 kg / 2000 kg. This scale is used to weigh liquids in vessels, ranging from 15 to 1500 kg.

Based on risk, I want to implement a sensitivity check every few days and a corner load test every few weeks. My interpretation is that ideally, the sensitivity test should be performed with load of 1500 kg or 1000 kg (50% of 2000 kg, as per NIST handbook). However, it would be very difficult to perform this routine verification with the standard weights that I have available or by means of substitution test methods. The scale is and will continue to be calibrated annually, by a certificated company.

I already checked other topics here in the forum, like the "Daily weight checks of floor scales", but my doubt still remains:

I was wonder, if I use a vessel with >1000 kg (exact weight unknown) as a tare, set the scale to zero, and then use 5 x 20 kg = 100 kg standard masses on top of that to perform the sensitivy test, would the results be meaningful in some way? In other words, if the value read by the scale for those 100 kg (using the heavy tare as zero) falls within my acceptance criteria (the same as when I test the scale using the 100 kg of standard weights and nothing more), could I consider the scale as ok/ready to be used for weighing ~1000 kg?

If you have other sugestions, they are also welcome :)

Thanks in advance, best regards

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
The tare weight is irrelevant. You're still just weighing the contents of the vessel. It's no different from just weighing the 100kg standards.

bpritts

Involved - Posts
I agree with Jim. No reason to overcomplicate this.

We have a similar situation - we do liquid chemical blending by weight, so scale is critical. We have an annual full calibration including checks of repeatability, and a weekly confirmation. The scale capacity is 2000 lbs. We do a check with a 300 lb. test weight once each week to confirm.

dgriffith

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hello,

...I was wonder, if I use a vessel with >1000 kg (exact weight unknown) as a tare, set the scale to zero, and then use 5 x 20 kg = 100 kg standard masses on top of that to perform the sensitivy test, would the results be meaningful in some way? In other words, if the value read by the scale for those 100 kg (using the heavy tare as zero) falls within my acceptance criteria (the same as when I test the scale using the 100 kg of standard weights and nothing more), could I consider the scale as ok/ready to be used for weighing ~1000 kg?

If you have other sugestions, they are also welcome :)

Thanks in advance, best regards
I believe this is the intent of HB44. Using a tare weight to evaluate the mid and upper range of the scale. It doesn't matter what the tare weight is (general estimate to be sure that you are getting into the scale range of interest, but exact weight not needed), zero the scale and apply the test mass again. The delta should be 100 kg.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Creating WIs for a Heavy Civil Engineering Services company Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 19
D Production Strategy in Construction & Heavy Industries Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
G Heavy Civil Construction Company Implementing ISO 9001:2015 for Certification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
Geoff Cotton What is the benchmark for Cost of Quality in a Heavy Engineering organization ? Benchmarking 2
K Building Heavy Pollution Factory next to Medical Device Factory (ISO 13485) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
P Heavy Manufacturing Supplier QA - Building Units at a Supplier's Facility Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
G IMDS (International Material Data System) for Heavy Vehicles RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 10
D Information on Heavy Metal testing in Medical Devices Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 6
B Heavy Metals in Vehicles - New Technologies RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
R Heavy duty rust protection advice needed! Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
M DFMEA (Design FMEA) for Trailers or any heavy vehicle design Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
Marc Aircraft 'Heavy' Passenger Jet Landing in 150 MPH Gusting Cross Wind Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 10
G PPAP 4? + IMDS - Heavy Metals Laws - Help RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
S Safety Procedure for Transport of Heavy Equipment Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
S Heavy Truck 4th Edition PPAP forms needed APQP and PPAP 1
D Heavy Truck QMS Requirements Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
A Does Least-squares (LSQ) simulate perfect roundness? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
N Looking for Animal Model to Simulate the Anatomy of the Human Cervix 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 10
D Will just Heat and Humidity be Adequate to Simulate EtO Sterilization? Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
F Gage R&R Destructive Test With Breakaway Fixture To Simulate A Part Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4