Interesting Discussion Hello IAF. Are you listening? Please explain the inconsistency in your IAF Mandatory Documents (2019)

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
The post below was copied from another thread discussing the IAF Mandatory Document 22. I wish someone from the IAF (the coalition of the willing) would explain why the IAF MD 22 document demands accountability as it relates to the accredited certification of OHSMS, but the equivalent documents related to the other disciplines, such as quality, environment, information security do not...

An organization that has allowed major quality escapes and has to implement a recall, should be mandated to notify their CB's about the occurrence (ISO 9001).

An organization that has experienced a major environmental violation should be mandated to notify their CB's about the occurrence (ISO 14001).

An organization that has experienced a major data security breach should be mandated to notify their CB's about the occurrence (ISO 27001).

======================================================================================

The IAF Mandatory Document 22 requires that the CB to have contractual language with the registrants so the CB is formally informed of the occurrence of a serious incident or breach of regulation necessitating the involvement of the competent regulatory authority. Further down the document, we see the following:

G 9.6.4.2 Independently from the involvement of the competent regulatory authority, a special audit may be necessary in the event that the Certification Body becomes aware that there has been a serious incident related to occupational health and safety, for example, a serious accident, or a serious breach of regulation, in order to investigate if the management system has not been compromised and did function effectively. The Certification Body shall document the outcome of its investigation.

G 9.6.5.2 Information on incidents such as a serious accident, or a serious breach of regulation necessitating the involvement of the competent regulatory authority, provided by the certified client (see G 8.5.3) or directly gathered by the audit team during the special audit, (G 9.6.4.2) shall provide grounds for the Certification Body to decide on the actions to be taken, including a suspension or withdrawal of the certification, in cases where it can be demonstrated that the system seriously failed to meet the OH&S certification requirements. Such requirements shall be part of the contractual agreements between the CAB and the organization.
What I find interesting is that I don't see similar requirements/expectations for the certification of QMS and EMS's in the IAF Mandatory Documents. Why shouldn't the registrants be mandated to formally inform their CB's in case of a major quality problems leading, for example, to consumer injuries and/or fatalities and product recalls? Ditto for major environmental violations? Why a different standard for OHSMS?

Consistent accreditation? :unsure: Hardly so.

By, the way, I do support the language in the IAF MD22, as it drives accountability in the accredited certification process; I just wanted the same type and level of expectations for QMS, EMS, EnMS, ISMS, etc....

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

dwperron

Trusted Information Resource
I believe it is because the IAF mandate covers Accreditation Bodies (AB), not CB's.
I don't believe that they have the authority to set requirements for CB's.
It would be the role of the AB to require that a CB report a serious breach.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Did you ever read an IAF Mandatory Document? Most of the requirements and most of the documents are targeted at CB operations.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
I sent a message to the IAF using their website. Let’s see if they respond.
It has been a month, and I got no response from the IAF, the coalition of the willing. Not surprising, but disappointing, nevertheless.

I see the IAF MD22 significantly different from other Mandatory Documents in the IAF collection, as it relates to the connection of the regulatory compliance with management systems and I can only hope that the level of expectation set for OHSMS accredited certification triggers the same for the other disciplines, such as quality, environmental, information security, etc...

Randy

Super Moderator
It has been a month, and I got no response from the IAF, the coalition of the willing. Not surprising, but disappointing, nevertheless.

I see the IAF MD22 significantly different from other Mandatory Documents in the IAF collection, as it relates to the connection of the regulatory compliance with management systems and I can only hope that the level of expectation set for OHSMS accredited certification triggers the same for the other disciplines, such as quality, environmental, information security, etc...
Yeah in my opinion someone's been drinking the koolaid and is turning a conformity process into another goat roping compliance activity and the duration stuff is dorked .... But that's my opinion only and doesn't reflect on anyone except me and my possible ignorance.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Just blowback from the position defended by many in the management system certification sector that this is "just a snapshot in time", there are no guarantees in life other than death, taxes and our invoices, don't hold me liable for anything....etc, etc, etc....For the pundits that like to detract the value of management system certificates, what is the most used method? Identify organizations that have systems certified while being caught in regulatory noncompliance. Dieselgate, for example.
Maybe, just maybe, this is an attempt (waaaaaay long overdue) to stop the commoditization and trivialization of management system audits and get some teeth in the process. Especially when it comes to ISO 14001 and 45001, enabling a system that assists organizations in fulfilling legal requirements is one of it's critical aspects. But, as you know, if the CB audit team is oblivious to the registrant's legal exposure, they could be certifying systems with major gaps, what is, obviously, a huge failure of audit and certification process.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Manix Hello all - I’m back After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 9
J jwmuola says Hello Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
SteelMaiden Hello Cove! Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
SteelMaiden Hello from SteelMaiden Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 30
B Just wanted to say Hello! AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
P Hello all Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
Marc New Folks - Please Take a Minute & Introduce Yourself/Say Hello! (8/2010 to TBD) Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1625
J Surprise - And Hello - Just Checking In Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 20
G New Folks - Please Take a Minute & Introduce Yourself/Say Hello! (2009 - 8/2010) Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 573
Sidney Vianna Informational IAF and ILAC Seek Contractor for Establishment of a Single International Organization for Accreditation ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 2
A IAF MD 5 - Audit Days calculator General Auditing Discussions 2
Sidney Vianna Informational IAF and ILAC to merge. A Global Accreditation mammoth? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 1
M Inputs on definition of very similar processes for multi site audit sample - IAF MD1 2018 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
B Multi-site certification (IAF MD1) - for 9001, 14001, OHSAS/45001 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 16
Sidney Vianna The mystery of an IAF Mandatory Document disappearance ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 6
Sidney Vianna IAF Mandatory Document #23 - Control of CB Franchisees and Agents Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
S IAF Codes - Examples of what falls under each code General Information Resources 2
M IAS (USA) Accreditation with IAF for ISO 13485 Logo Confusion EU Medical Device Regulations 10
Marc IAF Mandatory Documents (MD Series) - Required to be used by certification bodies ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Sidney Vianna IAF Ruling - No more ISO 9001:2008 nor ISO 14001:2004 audits after 2018-03-15 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Sidney Vianna One year to ISO 9001 and 14001 transition deadline. ISO & IAF communique' ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
Sidney Vianna IAF Endorsed Accredited 13485 Certification helping Control of Medical Distributors ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
M IAF Accreditation and CE Mark Questions EU Medical Device Regulations 24
S What is the IAF code for Medical Devices? Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
Q Is there a standard (ISO) to control the use of ISO, IAF and CB logos? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Marc IAF (international accreditation forum) - Mandatory Documents (MD Series) ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 0
S Internal Audit Man-days requirements using IAF MD9 General Auditing Discussions 2
F Calculation of reduction on audit time - IAF MD1:2007, IAF MD5:2015 and IAF MD11:2013 General Auditing Discussions 1
R Self-Certification Is Not a Real Thing - an IAF article Registrars and Notified Bodies 13
Sidney Vianna Interesting Discussion IAF CertSearch Database - Repository of "properly" Accredited Management System Certs ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 74
S Advanced Surveillance and Recertification Procedures - being discontinued by the IAF December 2019 update ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
S Spreadsheet that will Calculate Audit Duration times based on IAF MD5 and MD11 Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 7
G Integrated Systems Audit Mandays Duration - IAF Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
R IAF Time Window requirements for scheduling Recertification Audits Registrars and Notified Bodies 6
somashekar Is IAF an AB (Accreditation Body) for the ISO9k? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
M IAF-MD9 Audit Man-Days Requirements for ISO 13485 Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 30
Sidney Vianna The new IAF Website ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 0
Sidney Vianna IAF and ILAC World Accreditation Day ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 0
Sidney Vianna Another ISO & IAF inconsistency? "Banning" certification against guidance standards! Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 8
V Application of IAF MD 5 - Clause 2.3 Effective Number of Personnel General Auditing Discussions 14
Sidney Vianna New IAF (International Accreditation Forum) Informative Documents (ID Series) ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 0
somashekar The International Accreditation Forum (IAF) Mandatory Document-MD5 General Auditing Discussions 2
Sidney Vianna ILAC & IAF 2009 meeting - 11 days long! ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 3
Sidney Vianna Joint IAF-ISO Communique' - Expected Outcomes of Accredited Certification ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 5
B How to ke a training certificate with logo of IAF ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
Paul Simpson Is the IAF drinking in the last chance saloon? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 55
G ISO 13485 IAF Medical Device Conformity Assessment System IAF-MDCAS ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
Sidney Vianna IAF Mandatory Documents (MD Series) as of May 2019 ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 16
Marc Definition IAF - International Accreditation Forum Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 1
V IAF (International Accreditation Forum) Meeting on Effectiveness of Certification ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 2