SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Help for beginner - PPAP (Production Part Approval Process)

B

blue_cove

Hello,

I have a bit urgent matter relating with PPAP. Recently I began new work in the section of the quality (I am still on the tentative period). I deal with collating PPAP from tradesmen at present. And certain problem appears here - to collect PPAP is one, but to accept this, it is second. I am just before training from PPAP and do not have the experience on what I should return the attention confirming PPAP. What documents tradesmen should send me I already know and have them in the majority of cases. I know what also generally individual documents are characterize (Control plan, Flow greyhound, PFMEA, AAR etc .). There is the situation now that I have from the tradesman all necessary documents, forms are ok. But I take to the hand Control plan or PFMEA and I do not know on what I really should look, what is essential, what mistakes I should catch.

Could you help me ? Thank you.
Ann

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: Help - PPAP

Hello,

I have a bit urgent matter relating with PPAP. Recently I began new work in the section of the quality (I am still on the tentative period). I deal with collating PPAP from tradesmen at present. And certain problem appears here - to collect PPAP is one, but to accept this, it is second. I am just before training from PPAP and do not have the experience on what I should return the attention confirming PPAP. What documents tradesmen should send me I already know and have them in the majority of cases. I know what also generally individual documents are characterize (Control plan, Flow greyhound, PFMEA, AAR etc .). There is the situation now that I have from the tradesman all necessary documents, forms are ok. But I take to the hand Control plan or PFMEA and I do not know on what I really should look, what is essential, what mistakes I should catch.

Ann
Hello Ann. Welcome to The Cove Forums! :bigwave: :bigwave:

Just for clarification: when you say "tradesmen", are you referring to suppliers? If so, are you responsible for reviewing and approving PPAP's submitted by your suppliers? If you are, you should be competent in the PPAP process and all activities involved. Can you clarify?

Also, your company should have established PPAP submission requirements for your suppliers. Do you know what these are?

In the mean time, you can do a search about PPAP here. There's a lot of good information available. if you can's find it, let us know and we'll help.

Stijloor.

D

Detbyron

Hello,

Ann
Does your company have the Reference Manuals?
https://www.aiag.org/source/Orders/index.cfm?section=orders&task=3&CATEGORY=CORETOOLS&PRODUCT_TYPE=SALES&SKU=APQP&DESCRIPTION=&FindSpec=Control%20Plan&CFTOKEN=93335392&continue=1&SEARCH_TYPE=FIND&StartRow=1&PageNum=1
https://www.aiag.org/source/Orders/...tinue=1&SEARCH_TYPE=FIND&StartRow=1&PageNum=1

Last edited by a moderator:
B

blue_cove

Hello,

Yes I’m responsible for collecting, reviewing and approving PPAP from our suppliers. And that’s true that I should be competent in the PPAP process but I’m not :eek: My boss gives me this job because nobody wants to do it. I’m waiting for training in this area but before it I have to accept some of PPAP – that’s way I’m writing and asking for your help.

Also, your company should have established PPAP submission requirements for your suppliers” – frankly speaking I don’t know what it is – but I suppose we don’t have it :confused:

I also have a Reference Manuals – I read it but still I not sure/know how I should start this job.

I contact with all our suppliers asking for PPAP on level 3. Most of them send me already all documentation. Now I should reviewing and approving PPAP but I don’t know how :frust:

Ann

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator

Hello,

Yes I’m responsible for collecting, reviewing and approving PPAP from our suppliers. And that’s true that I should be competent in the PPAP process but I’m not :eek: My boss gives me this job because nobody wants to do it. I’m waiting for training in this area but before it I have to accept some of PPAP – that’s way I’m writing and asking for your help.

Also, your company should have established PPAP submission requirements for your suppliers” – frankly speaking I don’t know what it is – but I suppose we don’t have it :confused:

I also have a Reference Manuals – I read it but still I not sure/know how I should start this job.

I contact with all our suppliers asking for PPAP on level 3. Most of them send me already all documentation. Now I should reviewing and approving PPAP but I don’t know how :frust:

Ann
Ann,

I would not even know how to start. :mg: It looks that your boss dumped (instead of delegated) this into your lap.

Somewhere there should be a contract, purchase order, etc., that should spell out certain requirements for your suppliers. Ask your boss where that stuff is. Maybe in the purchasing department?

Next, ask your boss for formal training in all PPAP activities required for PPAP. Putting someone in a position for which this person is not trained competent, is a clear violation of ISO/TS. I do not admire your position. Is there someone that can help you to at least get started?

If you have specific PPAP questions, please post them.

Stijloor.

Manix

Get Involved!!!
Trusted Information Resource

Ann,

I would not even know how to start. :mg: It looks that your boss dumped (instead of delegated) this into your lap.

Somewhere there should be a contract, purchase order, etc., that should spell out certain requirements for your suppliers. Ask your boss where that stuff is. Maybe in the purchasing department?

Next, ask your boss for formal training in all PPAP activities required for PPAP. Putting someone in a position for which this person is not trained competent, is a clear violation of ISO/TS. I do not admire your position. Is there someone that can help you to at least get started?

If you have specific PPAP questions, please post them.

Stijloor.
I echo stijloors recommendations, though I feel a contract or purchase order will be of little help in your situation, as this will simply state the requirement for the document, not help the understanding of that document.

Formal PPAP training is a must, though I must confess to only having had PFMEA formal training, PPAP I was left with the reference manuals, my own brain and the Elsmar Cove :)

You will find a wealth of information here that is very useful.

You may find it useful to understand the essence and the linkages between the three main documents:

- Process Flow - A diagrammatic illustration of the flow of the process, from operation to operation. The level of detail and format is still pretty much up to you but many options are available and discussed on the cove.

- PFMEA - Process Failure Mode and Effects analysis. Each stage identified on your process flow must be covered in the PFMEA process. This is where the risk of things going wrong within the process that effect the products ultimate quality, or the operators safety. Please, although you are reviewing a document, the PFMEA is a process You need to be proficient in the process of risk identification and control/mitigation, if you are to effectively assess the quality of the document from your supplier, so I believe it is critical you have FMEA training, so you understand the process of FMEA.

- Control Plan - The document used to document the controls identified (in the PFMEA process) to mitigate/control the risk of things going wrong either in the process or in the products life cycle (its use).

This is just a brief overview, but one final important point is, from the start understand the product and the process. A lack of understanding of either means you cannot effectively review the PPAP documentation and approve it.

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator

I echo stijloors recommendations, though I feel a contract or purchase order will be of little help in your situation, as this will simply state the requirement for the document, not help the understanding of that document.
The reason I brought this up so that Ann only had to focus on the PPAP documents required by her company. Her company may only require a minimum number of items to be submitted which would shorten Ann's "learning time." And that of course we don't know. She is not in a good situation.

Stijloor.

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator

Formal PPAP training is a must, though I must confess to only having had PFMEA formal training, PPAP I was left with the reference manuals, my own brain and the Elsmar Cove :)
I was in the same boat many years ago. Doing PPAPs was dumped in my lap but the company I was working for would not send me for formal training - I had absolutely no experience with any of it: control plans, PFMEAs - none of it. It was many, many years before I discovered the cove, but I did have the manuals and the good fortune to be working with an awesome SQA who spent a good deal of time answering questions, sending me examples, etc.

Is there anyone at your organization that can tutor you, Ann?

Oh, and welcome to the cove!!:bigwave:

B

blue_cove

Hello,

I don’t know if I should to happy that I started so big discussion on this case.
I suppose that it is very rarely situation like my. For clarification I should say that to the 28 November I should reviewing and accept all PPAP from my supplier – this term is forced by my customer.
One of you wrote about the documents which PPAP should contain – this think I know luckily.
The problem is that if I received a documentation from supplier for example control plan or PFMEA, it is hard to say for me if this documentation is ok for 100%. Every documentation form supplier I have but I don’t know if it is correct. One person told me that for example:
- Control plan – should contain information exactly how many pieces should be controlled and how often (I had supplier that send me control plan in which he didn’t gives me information about controlled pieces or frequency. Instead he wrote that that component is controlled according they internal documentation)
- PFMEA – if importance is 10 that means that RPN should be below (if I’m not wrong) 60, if we have importance 6-8, RPN should be below 100. If RPN were crossed the supplier should make the correction actions which should reduce RPN
- SPC – Cpk, Ppk should be up than 1,33
I suppose that if I’m reviewing the documentation from my supplier I should focus on some important points in this papers – but I don’t know what points are important, for me everything is very important.
I even don’t have anyone who could help me in my job – there is nobody who have experience in this mater.
But because from tomorrow I should started to accept the PPAP nothing will change my bad situation.
I would like to know also what will happen if I accept wrong PPAP or PPAP with mistakes ? – it is possible to change it some how ?

Thank you for every your help.
Ann

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Help a beginner in the CE Marking world! (Semi long post) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
Azaarus Help with CAPA for an IATF finding regarding inspection documentation IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
A Help needed with locating conector Design and Development of Products and Processes 0
Y CER: can "state of the art" help to make up for literature search on equivalant devices? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
D Need some Help on 8D fault tree analysis Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 6
B Can someone help me explain P-Value with a simple word please? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 11
M Help on formulating a LP minimization problem Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
N Help with understanding Process Controls Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
K Screen printing ink and machine selection_ Need help Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
J Need Help with FPY Data in Assembly Process Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
S Need help on "Country of Origin" Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Need Help With Information Security Asset Risk Register IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 2
T Help with BS EN ISO - IEC 80079-34 2020 (Explosive atmospheres QMS) Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
J Help settle a disagreement: Should external providers of preventive maintenance be on your ASL? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
N Help with basic understanding of Competence requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
C ISO/ IEC 17021 Resource requirement (need help) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
D Supplier Quality level category help - high level ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
D Amendment Class II - Please confirm if the submission is by email (Canada) - Help Canada Medical Device Regulations 0
T ISO/IEC 17065 certification scheme Help Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 7
T Help to Suggest name for a new certification and inspection company Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
SocalSurfer AS9100 new certificate, but need QMS software, help Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
L Manufacturing Process Audit Help IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
M Case study help as per ISO 9001: 2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
M Case study solution help required as per ISO 9001 : 2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
A Beginners help with ISO3951-2 Combined control s-method n>5 what is Phi ?? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
MDD_QNA Medical Device Software - Is a Help Button required? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
S Need help with analysing a survey on minitab Using Minitab Software 1
M Help me improve the definition for internal PPM Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
I Help: QFD House of Quality Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
C New to Site - Request Help with API Q2 Implementation Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 9
O Please, help with document on ISO/ TS 17758 and (IDF 87: 1979). Thank you. Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
A Class medical device (MDD) - Classification help EU Medical Device Regulations 1
K A proposal for the model Quality Management - I need help for the project ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
A Help with Drawing Review - ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Q % Study variation low, % tolerance high - GR&R Interpretation help Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
R Probability - Need a help to solve the below question Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
M Thanks for the help Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
Judy Abbott Can any one help me with an urgent BIOCOMPATIBILITY Impact assessment? Internal Auditing 9
A Help establishing regulatory requirements - Plastic dental cartridge syringe US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
A Medical Device Contract Manufacturing Requirements and Information - Help wanted ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
8 Need Help - Runout - Function Gage Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
T Burn out - Tips to help combat QC burnout Career and Occupation Discussions 19
Emran.mi Measurement system analysis - Can you help me about implementation MSA for CMM device Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
S New to FAIR, need help in filling it out AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
M Informational From RAPS: Danish Regulators Seek to Help Smaller Companies With EU MDR Compliance Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Reliability Testing - Weibull Analysis Help Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
L Help me to decide which test to use - If each proportion belongs to the same population Using Minitab Software 7
M Informational US FDA issued the first warning letter for UDI violations to help ensure compliance Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
T QMS Template Help - Small machine shop/job shop Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
R Pls help --- Need expert advice on Video Measurement Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 0