Help needed in choosing the method of calculating the minimum sample size

Hi everyone,
I need to calculate minimum sample size with this parameters:
- provide 95% confidence
- meet the company's conditions as to the maximum defect level (e.g. 11 ppm)
- solution need to be flexible (for example for daily population, monthly population, yearly population, 1000, 10000 or 10000000 samples)
- values are binomial (defected or not defected)

1. Military standard MIL STD 105D not provide data for populations much larger than 500000, for example if I have 10000000 population, in theory I still only need to take 2000 samples and I can't find any defect, because one defect disable whole population.
2. The "Sample size estimation" function in Minitab does not take into account the population size and shows low values of the necessary samples.
3. I found something like this calculator (cogentqc.com/tools-resources/statistical-calculator) but I don't know what math calulations it make.
4. I found this "Handbook" (itl.nist.gov/div898/handbook/prc/section2/prc242.htm) but I am not sure that this is good solution in my case, and I can't found/calculate needed parameters, I know only what mean "h".

I need Your help. Thanks! Have a nice day!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
From a Mil Std perspective, the tables are NOT based on population, but "lot sizes". So you really would not have a 10000000 lot size in reality. The Mil Std is set up for continuous sampling, if I want to go by day, then what is the production "batch" for the day. There may be also more technical reasons for what is a "batch" (perhaps after a tooling change for example, or what is the longest I want to wait to determine if there is a problem).

Keep in mind that random no - go sampling follows the hypergeometric distribution for small sample sizes, but once you get over 1,000 in the "batch" not much is gained statistically by increasing the sample size, the gains diminish rapidly. The binomial is basically infinite populations. For example most polling to determine the opinions of the United States (330 million people) is based on usually 500 responses. I should note that these polls are usually around a 50% "defect" level while if you are sampling for a 0.1% defect level for 330 million units, you need a MUCH larger sample size, but still reaches a certain assymptote.

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
I do have some excel files for determining sample sizes from binomial and hypergeometric given you want to be X% sure that no more than Y% are defective. You can work that out in Excel and there are solvers out there. One rule to keep in mind is for a LARGE population, if you sample 59 items and have no defects, you are 95% confident that no more than 5% are defective.

I do have some excel files for determining sample sizes from binomial and hypergeometric given you want to be X% sure that no more than Y% are defective. You can work that out in Excel and there are solvers out there. One rule to keep in mind is for a LARGE population, if you sample 59 items and have no defects, you are 95% confident that no more than 5% are defective.
Thank you for the explanation, I am already smarter about this knowledge. If I understand correctly, none of the above-mentioned methods will suit me. In my case, samples are taken several times a day, but the quality requirements (ppm) are so low that the daily sample is not sufficient to determine if we are making enough samples during the year and if we can do less while maintaining the same quality level.

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
Thank you for the explanation, I am already smarter about this knowledge. If I understand correctly, none of the above-mentioned methods will suit me. In my case, samples are taken several times a day, but the quality requirements (ppm) are so low that the daily sample is not sufficient to determine if we are making enough samples during the year and if we can do less while maintaining the same quality level.
True, a daily sample may not trigger an alarm, but if you trend and consolidate the results over many days you will be able to detect a problem. The sample size you need in a single day may never meet the need even with 100% sampling. Maybe you need to go 100% inspection if it is that critical.

True, a daily sample may not trigger an alarm, but if you trend and consolidate the results over many days you will be able to detect a problem. The sample size you need in a single day may never meet the need even with 100% sampling. Maybe you need to go 100% inspection if it is that critical.
My main problem is that we have a sampling plan, but no one knows who based the procedure on what. I am trying to reduce the size of the control sample. In this case, 100% inspection is not possible because the population is huge :(

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
The main question (at least for a go no-go inspection plan) is how long can you go without determining there is a problem. You can look at the operating curve for the tests in terms of balancing failure to detect and false alarm rates. There was an effort in MIL STD 105 series (which has been superceded by an ISO document) to do that balancing based upon stated AQL and seriousness of the defect being tested for. There are also two-step sampling plans and other nuances available.

You might want to consider automation in the testing routine. The ability to automatically sort fruit is amazing.

One thing that CAN significantly cut down on sample size is to shift from go no-go to an actual measurement. Such as dimension, weight, resistance, whatever. With that you can then do SPC on the data and be able to detect a shift in the data much faster, and before it hits rejection criteria. But the reality of life (and statistics) is if you have a very low failure rate you are testing for, it will take a LOT of samples. If it is continuous sampling, you can stretch out the sampling, but that means a longer time to detect the problem.

The main question (at least for a go no-go inspection plan) is how long can you go without determining there is a problem. You can look at the operating curve for the tests in terms of balancing failure to detect and false alarm rates. There was an effort in MIL STD 105 series (which has been superceded by an ISO document) to do that balancing based upon stated AQL and seriousness of the defect being tested for. There are also two-step sampling plans and other nuances available.

You might want to consider automation in the testing routine. The ability to automatically sort fruit is amazing.

One thing that CAN significantly cut down on sample size is to shift from go no-go to an actual measurement. Such as dimension, weight, resistance, whatever. With that you can then do SPC on the data and be able to detect a shift in the data much faster, and before it hits rejection criteria. But the reality of life (and statistics) is if you have a very low failure rate you are testing for, it will take a LOT of samples. If it is continuous sampling, you can stretch out the sampling, but that means a longer time to detect the problem.
For this AQL criteria like 11-17 ppm it can be longer for example 1 month or 1 year.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Help needed on clauses identification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
J HELP NEEDED ! Risk Management Exercise ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 12
A Help needed with locating conector Design and Development of Products and Processes 0
D Help needed for Compliance Road-Map - Startup making their first device (IVD) IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
V Root Cause help needed - Sheet metal breaking at press Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 9
W TL9000 transition from 5.5 to 6.0 - help needed TL 9000 Telecommunications Standard and QuEST 1
K Processing Time Tracking Software Program Help Needed Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
N VDA 1 Critical Characteristics Requirements Help needed VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 6
G Help needed on 2 TS 16949 Elements - 7.5.5 & 7.5.3 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
R Excel 2003 and Capability Studies for Dummies - Help needed! Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 4
R ISO 13485 Software Validation Requirements - Help needed ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
D Generating a detailed Process Plan - Help needed Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 6
R ISO 9001 Implementation in the Bus/Coach Industry - Confused and Help needed ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
O ISO 9000 section 7.2.1(c) Compliance help needed ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
E Help needed on the TS 16949 External Auditor Exam IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
Q Regression Analysis for the Attached Data - help needed - TIA Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 13
S Interpreting Level of Confidence - Round Robin for Tensile Testing - Help needed Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
J ISO 9001 and Improvement of Business Performance - Research help Needed ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
S Dew Point Meter: DPL4000 - help needed Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
W Australian Approval for Class I Medical Device - Help needed. Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
R Student Question - Help needed with statistics questions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
L Definition Throughput Yield (TPY) or First Pass Yield Calculation - Help Needed Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
P Sample Size Calculation help needed Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
6 Preventive Action - Help Needed. Input for Training and Sustenance Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 3
R ISO 13485 Surveillance Audit Nonconformances and Report Help Needed ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
V Help needed with ISO 14001 Procedures please ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 7
A Help needed for Fighting a specifically identified Organism found during Dose Audit Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2
D AASHTO R18 Accreditation (quite similar to ISO 17025) QMS - Help needed ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
L Gage Linearity and Bias Study Analysis - Minitab help needed Using Minitab Software 4
H Husky 1750PSI Pressure Washer - Help needed! Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
L Medical Device FDA Product Classification help needed 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
S Cross Tabulation in Attribute MSA - Help Needed Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
S Trend Review and Process Improvement help needed Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
L Easy Access of Obsolete Documents - Corrective Action help needed ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
T FDA Single Use Instruments - Classification Help Needed 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
T PFMEA of Die casting Process--Help needed? FMEA and Control Plans 5
P Design FMEA (DFMEA) Basics - Help needed IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
K ISO 13485 Audit help needed General Auditing Discussions 20
U Issue with Labelling of Outer Container - help needed for clarification EU Medical Device Regulations 3
B 5 Why help needed Please kindly review Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 15
S Excel Spreadsheet Conditional Formatting help needed Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 12
G Help needed to complete a Financial Audit of a Nonprofit Organization Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 7
K Low Volume Products Data Analysis help needed Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
somashekar Water and Air Pollution Load Calculations help needed Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 6
S Master Document Register Project Procedures help needed Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
Ajit Basrur Tabulating Improvement Plan Status - Help and suggestions needed Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 9
R Sample Audit Report of an Investment Company - Audit help needed Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
E FDA New Product Introduction Regulations help needed 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
R Process VSM (Value Stream Mapping) help needed Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 5
K Virtual DMIS vs. PC-DMIS - Help needed Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 3