Help needed with brilliantly engineered FAI (First Article Inspection) form 3

M

MoxieQA

Recently I came across a brilliantly engineered FAI form 3 (per as9102) on the Cove. The attachment as I recall was from Cari Spears but in doing a search….unable to locate it a second time. This form is in excel format, the “results” column changes from black and red font depending if the number is in or out of the range shown in the “tolerance” column.

To me, the form seems to be dependant upon another excel file that I do not have. I say this because numerals and characters can be updated in any box but no formula associated to it so I feel the form is linked to a protected database.

I appreciate any guidance towards unlocking this challenge.

I have the MS excel inside/out book (if this helps).

MQA

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Re: Help needed with brilliantly engineered FAI form 3

Recently I came across a brilliantly engineered FAI form 3 (per as9102) on the Cove. The attachment as I recall was from Cari Spears but in doing a search….unable to locate it a second time. This form is in excel format, the “results” column changes from black and red font depending if the number is in or out of the range shown in the “tolerance” column.

To me, the form seems to be dependant upon another excel file that I do not have. I say this because numerals and characters can be updated in any box but no formula associated to it so I feel the form is linked to a protected database.

I appreciate any guidance towards unlocking this challenge.

I have the MS excel inside/out book (if this helps).

MQA
Try here, or perhaps here. I found these by clicking on Post Attachments List at the top of the page, and searching for FAI.

P

Pudge 72

Moxie - the FAI forms are very nice, but, just a heads up / word of caution.
After digging into the methodology a bit, just be careful - it appears that conditional formatting is being used in conjunction with being cell-specific to the tolerance. In other words, you can copy the formula down, but, you will have to adjust the formula every time based on the tolerance that you enter because the formula is not referencing the tolerance from another cell.
As I said, unique ideas are awesome and inspire others, so, I don't want you or the author of the forms to get the idea that I am just ripping these, because I am not. But, personally, with all of the work that you will have to do anyway (I think), you would probably be better off rolling the dice and telling your inspectors to highlight out of tolerance conditions with a red font than to depend on them to change / conditional format every time.
Maybe a Macro would work better for what you are looking for?

M

MoxieQA

Thanks Jim, It's the attachment posted by Bogie.

Per my original post, can a Excel guru give me more insight?

B

Benjamin28

As per the other response this spreadsheet is using conditional formatting. Select the cell you're interested in altering, select format, select conditional formatting and you can delete/add/edit the format.

It is odd that the tolerances are added directly into the conditional format, I can only assume the writer didn't use the cell box because of the +/- indicators, you could, however, move these to their own cell, and just reference the tolerance number by cell, this way you could edit the tolerance values anytime without having to change the conditional formatting as well.

B

Benjamin28

Yup, that way you can just plug in your values and tolerances and away you go! ;) (song and fast moving vehicle completely off topic)

Kingsld1

Involved In Discussions

There is a problem though if your tolerances are +.005 / - .010. The inspector would either have to change the nominal from whats on the print or monkey with the spreadsheet.

F

Frank T.

MoxieQA,

I altered your spreadsheet to accommodate what I think you are looking for. You can cut and paste the results field and the conditional formatting will stay the same.

Hope this helps......:bigwave:

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
M

MoxieQA

Thank you Frank for the form udpate. I'm please with the final result.

MQA

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Help needed on clauses identification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
S Help needed in choosing the method of calculating the minimum sample size Internal Auditing 12
J HELP NEEDED ! Risk Management Exercise ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 12
A Help needed with locating conector Design and Development of Products and Processes 0
D Help needed for Compliance Road-Map - Startup making their first device (IVD) IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
V Root Cause help needed - Sheet metal breaking at press Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 9
W TL9000 transition from 5.5 to 6.0 - help needed TL 9000 Telecommunications Standard and QuEST 1
K Processing Time Tracking Software Program Help Needed Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
N VDA 1 Critical Characteristics Requirements Help needed VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 6
G Help needed on 2 TS 16949 Elements - 7.5.5 & 7.5.3 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
R Excel 2003 and Capability Studies for Dummies - Help needed! Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 4
R ISO 13485 Software Validation Requirements - Help needed ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
D Generating a detailed Process Plan - Help needed Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 6
R ISO 9001 Implementation in the Bus/Coach Industry - Confused and Help needed ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
O ISO 9000 section 7.2.1(c) Compliance help needed ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
E Help needed on the TS 16949 External Auditor Exam IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
Q Regression Analysis for the Attached Data - help needed - TIA Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 13
S Interpreting Level of Confidence - Round Robin for Tensile Testing - Help needed Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
J ISO 9001 and Improvement of Business Performance - Research help Needed ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
S Dew Point Meter: DPL4000 - help needed Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
W Australian Approval for Class I Medical Device - Help needed. Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
R Student Question - Help needed with statistics questions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
L Definition Throughput Yield (TPY) or First Pass Yield Calculation - Help Needed Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
P Sample Size Calculation help needed Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
6 Preventive Action - Help Needed. Input for Training and Sustenance Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 3
R ISO 13485 Surveillance Audit Nonconformances and Report Help Needed ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
V Help needed with ISO 14001 Procedures please ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 7
A Help needed for Fighting a specifically identified Organism found during Dose Audit Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2
D AASHTO R18 Accreditation (quite similar to ISO 17025) QMS - Help needed ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
L Gage Linearity and Bias Study Analysis - Minitab help needed Using Minitab Software 4
H Husky 1750PSI Pressure Washer - Help needed! Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
L Medical Device FDA Product Classification help needed 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
S Cross Tabulation in Attribute MSA - Help Needed Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
S Trend Review and Process Improvement help needed Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
L Easy Access of Obsolete Documents - Corrective Action help needed ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
T FDA Single Use Instruments - Classification Help Needed 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
T PFMEA of Die casting Process--Help needed? FMEA and Control Plans 5
P Design FMEA (DFMEA) Basics - Help needed IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
K ISO 13485 Audit help needed General Auditing Discussions 20
U Issue with Labelling of Outer Container - help needed for clarification EU Medical Device Regulations 3
B 5 Why help needed Please kindly review Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 15
S Excel Spreadsheet Conditional Formatting help needed Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 12
G Help needed to complete a Financial Audit of a Nonprofit Organization Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 7
K Low Volume Products Data Analysis help needed Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
somashekar Water and Air Pollution Load Calculations help needed Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 6
S Master Document Register Project Procedures help needed Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
Ajit Basrur Tabulating Improvement Plan Status - Help and suggestions needed Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 9
R Sample Audit Report of an Investment Company - Audit help needed Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
E FDA New Product Introduction Regulations help needed 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
R Process VSM (Value Stream Mapping) help needed Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 5