Help on Analysis and Use of Data: Element 4.1.5

D

Daniel Emond

Hi, I'd like to precise something about element 4.1.5:

scrap rate, productivity and delivery performance are datas that we follow and for which quality objectives are annually defined.

In QS9000's third edition, "cost of poor quality" has been added. Is it a suggestion ? Or, must we develop a system to monitor costs of poor quality ? I understand that it will be very helpful, but if it's not a must...

J

JeanMichel

From my point of view, you may begin to track your scrap costs (material, labor, energy) and complaint costs (100% inspection, new parts to send, premium freight, etc.). Others will track their rework costs, etc.

Hope this can help

D

Daniel Emond

Thanks for your answer Jean-Michel. Is this QS9000 requirement an obligation or a suggestion ? We identify and analyse a lot of datas but this addition in the QS9000 third edition (4.1.5) may be only an example of data we can study ?

I will not spend energy on this element if it's only a kind of data we can choose or not.

We've been registered to the QS9000 second edition and "cost of poor quality" is the only revision in the element 4.1.5.

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Leader
Admin
Daniel,

I have some thoughts on this, but I will have to get back to this on Tuesday. While Cost of Poor Quality is a suggestion, it may go along way to satisfying 4.1.5 and 4.2.5.2. More later.

M

Meraai

We are the convertors of closed cell and open cell foams and our processes are simple. But to satisfy the requirements of QS9000 we have devoloped a System to Monitor Cost of quality. In this stage we are stil clowning around. The system consist of Defect costs, prevention and appraisal cost. As soon as your defect costs are creater than your prevention costs you have a problem. i would also appreciate some help as to what the correct formula for the calculation of the appraisal costs are.

Marietjie Bester
Sondor Industries

S

Sam

IMO anlysis of cost of quality/cost of poor quality is the most effective quality improvement tool in the book.
Is it a requirement of QS9000? The answer is NO. Can you convince your auditor that it is not required. Might be tough. Most auditors that I have talked with equate the suggestions in the parenthesis of 4.1.5 with the word "shall" in the same sentence.
Although, I have been through 4 registration audits and several surveillance audits since "cost of poor quality" was added to the QSR and no one has asked for the data.

Top Bottom