SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Help on Treatment of Points Outside of Control Limits

P

pagnonig

Dear all,

I would like to share with you a maybe trivial doubt about the treatment of points outside control limits.

Let's consider the following situation: an I-mR chart is drawn from some individual point data (50 values).
I would like to know if the process is stable and if I can extend the control limits in time to be used on the shop-floor by the operator who is manually filling the measurement results on a handwritten control chart.

I proceed with the analysis of the first 50 values taken from the current process:

Step 1 - check the mR chart

I check the moving range chart for points outside the upper control limit.
If one or more points are below this level, a special cause investigation is triggered.
Let's say the special cause is understood and removed. Here comes the first question.

Question N.1: Do I have to remove the point from the moving range average calculation and compute the new average and then the new limits for both the mR and the Individual chart? If yes, do I have to repeat Step 1 until a stable mR chart is achieved and all special causes are addressed?

Step 2 - Check the Individual chart

I check the Individual chart for points outside the upper control limit.
If one or more points are below this level, a special cause investigation is triggered.
Let's say the special cause is understood and removed... which of the following choice is more appropriate:

Choice N.1: Recalculate all the moving ranges without considering the Individual value out of the control limits on the I chart. Compute the new mR average and the new limits for both the mR chart and the I chart. Look for new points outside control limits on both the mR chart and the I chart and repeat steps 1 and 2.

Choice N.2: Recalculate the Individual average without considering the point outside control limits, therefore expecting only a shift in the average.

Step 3 - Extending Control limits

Once special causes are removed, I would consider the new control limits of both I chart and mR chart as the reference for the shopfloor documentation used by the operators (maybe collecting further 50 data in order to confirm the stability of the process and the validity of the new limits). They would manually record additional data from the process and check for stability using the given limits.

Question N.2: Does it make sense to ask the shopfloor operator to record both the I value and the mR value, therefore filling both the I and the mR control chart? Or in your experience would you recommend to use only the individual chart?

...I think that the same approach could be adopted for Xbar-R charts.

Thanks for any comment on this.
Kind regards.

Giuseppe

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dear all,

I would like to share with you a maybe trivial doubt about the treatment of points outside control limits.

Let's consider the following situation: an I-mR chart is drawn from some individual point data (50 values).
I would like to know if the process is stable and if I can extend the control limits in time to be used on the shop-floor by the operator who is manually filling the measurement results on a handwritten control chart.

I proceed with the analysis of the first 50 values taken from the current process:

Step 1 - check the mR chart

I check the moving range chart for points outside the upper control limit.
Let's say the special cause is understood and removed. Here comes the first question.

Question N.1: Do I have to remove the point from the moving range average calculation and compute the new average and then the new limits for both the mR and the Individual chart? If yes, do I have to repeat Step 1 until a stable mR chart is achieved and all special causes are addressed?

Step 2 - Check the Individual chart

I check the Individual chart for points outside the upper control limit.
Let's say the special cause is understood and removed... which of the following choice is more appropriate:

Choice N.1: Recalculate all the moving ranges without considering the Individual value out of the control limits on the I chart. Compute the new mR average and the new limits for both the mR chart and the I chart. Look for new points outside control limits on both the mR chart and the I chart and repeat steps 1 and 2.

Choice N.2: Recalculate the Individual average without considering the point outside control limits, therefore expecting only a shift in the average.

Step 3 - Extending Control limits

Once special causes are removed, I would consider the new control limits of both I chart and mR chart as the reference for the shopfloor documentation used by the operators (maybe collecting further 50 data in order to confirm the stability of the process and the validity of the new limits). They would manually record additional data from the process and check for stability using the given limits.

Question N.2: Does it make sense to ask the shopfloor operator to record both the I value and the mR value, therefore filling both the I and the mR control chart? Or in your experience would you recommend to use only the individual chart?

...I think that the same approach could be adopted for Xbar-R charts.

Thanks for any comment on this.
Kind regards.

Giuseppe
Does anyone have comments for Giuseppe?

Thank you!

Stijloor.

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource

If this is the capability run, and you can identify and remove the special cause, then, yes, calculate the control limits without it. The control limits should describe the expected data for a process in control. I do not believe it would be necessary to repeat, unless you feel the data about the out of control condition was unduly affected by the special cause.

Step 2 - Check the Individual chart...
Same applies here

Question N.2: Does it make sense to ask the shop floor operator to record both the I value and the mR value, therefore filling both the I and the mR control chart? Or in your experience would you recommend to use only the individual chart?
Both - each holds its own value. To detect control you need to know "location" (individual value) and "spread" (range) - either can be a clue to impending special cause - and they may show it independently, depending on the cause.

P

pagnonig

Thanks Bobdoering for the answer!

About I chart. With "the same applies here" you mean I should recalculate both mR and I charts limits excluding out of control points detected in the I chart, therefore applying my Choice N.1. Isn't it?

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
Thanks Bobdoering for the answer!

About I chart. With "the same applies here" you mean I should recalculate both mR and I charts limits excluding out of control points detected in the I chart, therefore applying my Choice N.1. Isn't it?
Yes. Control limits from data of the process in control. If you can't remove the cause, then you have to keep them in...they are a part of your process.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Please help identify appropriate statistical treatment Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 13
N Help with understanding Process Controls Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
K Screen printing ink and machine selection_ Need help Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
J Need Help with FPY Data in Assembly Process Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
S Need help on "Country of Origin" Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Need Help With Information Security Asset Risk Register IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 2
T Help with BS EN ISO - IEC 80079-34 2020 (Explosive atmospheres QMS) Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
J Help settle a disagreement: Should external providers of preventive maintenance be on your ASL? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
N Help with basic understanding of Competence requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
C ISO/ IEC 17021 Resource requirement (need help) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
D Supplier Quality level category help - high level ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
D Amendment Class II - Please confirm if the submission is by email (Canada) - Help Canada Medical Device Regulations 0
T ISO/IEC 17065 certification scheme Help Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 7
T Help to Suggest name for a new certification and inspection company Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
SocalSurfer AS9100 new certificate, but need QMS software, help Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
L Manufacturing Process Audit Help IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
M Case study help as per ISO 9001: 2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
M Case study solution help required as per ISO 9001 : 2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
A Beginners help with ISO3951-2 Combined control s-method n>5 what is Phi ?? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
MDD_QNA Medical Device Software - Is a Help Button required? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
S Need help with analysing a survey on minitab Using Minitab Software 1
M Help me improve the definition for internal PPM Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
I Help: QFD House of Quality Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
C New to Site - Request Help with API Q2 Implementation Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 9
O Please, help with document on ISO/ TS 17758 and (IDF 87: 1979). Thank you. Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
A Class medical device (MDD) - Classification help EU Medical Device Regulations 1
K A proposal for the model Quality Management - I need help for the project ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
A Help with Drawing Review - ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Q % Study variation low, % tolerance high - GR&R Interpretation help Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
R Probability - Need a help to solve the below question Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
M Thanks for the help Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
Judy Abbott Can any one help me with an urgent BIOCOMPATIBILITY Impact assessment? Internal Auditing 9
A Help establishing regulatory requirements - Plastic dental cartridge syringe US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
A Medical Device Contract Manufacturing Requirements and Information - Help wanted ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
8 Need Help - Runout - Function Gage Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
T Burn out - Tips to help combat QC burnout Career and Occupation Discussions 19
Emran.mi Measurement system analysis - Can you help me about implementation MSA for CMM device Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
S New to FAIR, need help in filling it out AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
M Informational From RAPS: Danish Regulators Seek to Help Smaller Companies With EU MDR Compliance Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Reliability Testing - Weibull Analysis Help Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
L Help me to decide which test to use - If each proportion belongs to the same population Using Minitab Software 7
M Informational US FDA issued the first warning letter for UDI violations to help ensure compliance Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
T QMS Template Help - Small machine shop/job shop Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
R Pls help --- Need expert advice on Video Measurement Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 0
B Will you please help me with my academic project? Repair & calibration service for test equipment ISO 17025 related Discussions 0
B [Help] Customer Engagement Survey for MBA Project - due Apr19 Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
B Help with Customer Engagement Survey for MBA Project - due Apr19 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
Q ISO 3310 Clarification Help - Aperture sizes for sieves used for particle sorting Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
Ajit Basrur Need help to understand HIPAA requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 17
JoshuaFroud FDA Form MDSAP AU F0029.1.004 - Help with Completion US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0