Help Setting Up and Analyzing 3 Factor 2 Level Full Factorial Design for DOE

PeterLe

Involved In Discussions
Hello everyone! I'm hoping to get some assistance with analyzing a DOE I conducted. I'm a total newbie when it comes to minitab and it's actually my first time using this.

I have 3 factors: RPM level, Nozzle size and Pressure. My output variable is force.

So I got stat-->DOE and create a factorial design. I have no clue what else to input besides changing the number of factors from 2 to 3 and also creating the factors but I have left them as -1 and 1 which the factors above. Should I use numeric, for example typing down the exact case for -1 for pressure? Also I select full factorial design. After this, I'll select "OK."

So after, this I have my output variable as force and I type in my results (attached picture).

Then I'll go: stat --> DOE --> Analyze factorial design. Then I'll type in 'Force (N)' then I'll click okay and I get the results (attached as well). Is this the right output? I'm also not very familiar with what the results say. So I'm befuddled!

Also, I also measured my nominal, how would I incorporate it into my analysis?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
It is acceptable to retain the coded levels of -1 and 1. If you are only trying to determine what factors are significant and to determine directionality that is sufficient. If you intent to use the final model to make predictions, you must remember that the model applies to the coded levels, not the natural levels.

The results are typical for a saturated design. That is, a design with only one replicate and all possible factors still in the model. There are two possible steps forward.

One would be to repeat the experiment as a second block. That will allow you to analyze all possible terms, including the three way interaction.

The second approach is to remove the three way interaction from the model. Three way interactions are extremely rare for electro-mechanical systems and are of little practical value even if significant. This is not the case for chemical systems. Removing the three way interaction will allow you to evaluate the remaining terms in the model by providing a p-value for each.

Regarding the nominal, if this is the 0 level for all three factors, this can be included in the design as a center point. This will allow you to test for possible curvature.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
I analyzed the data that you attached and attached my analysis below. The interaction between RPM and Pressure was significant. I also created a second worksheet that is formatted to allow you to enter the data for a Center Point (all values at level 0). This worksheet has already been defined as a Custom Design, so you should be able to enter the data and begin analysis.

Attachments

PeterLe

Involved In Discussions
Thank you Miner! I really appreciate all the help you put in. Your input has helped me a lot. I'm still learning more and more about minitab and learning how to do a DOE.

Again, I really appreciate the help and if anything I'll post more if I have questions!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S MSA Help or guidelines - Plastics - Setting up an MSA on a multi cavity fixture Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
W Setting up from scratch - Looking for help (ISO9001 / ISO13485) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
J Setting up a Vendor (Supplier) and Internal Audit System - Need help Internal Auditing 4
K Need help in Setting up a Process for Tracking RMAs with Traceability Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
J Need Documents and help setting up a QC program Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
J Need help setting up a QC program Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
L Senior Project Help - Setting up a calibration laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
J Need Help with FPY Data in Assembly Process Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
S Need help on "Country of Origin" Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Need Help With Information Security Asset Risk Register IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 2
T Help with BS EN ISO - IEC 80079-34 2020 (Explosive atmospheres QMS) Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
J Help settle a disagreement: Should external providers of preventive maintenance be on your ASL? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
N Help with basic understanding of Competence requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
C ISO/ IEC 17021 Resource requirement (need help) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
D Supplier Quality level category help - high level ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
D Amendment Class II - Please confirm if the submission is by email (Canada) - Help Canada Medical Device Regulations 0
T ISO/IEC 17065 certification scheme Help Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 7
T Help to Suggest name for a new certification and inspection company Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
SocalSurfer AS9100 new certificate, but need QMS software, help Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
L Manufacturing Process Audit Help IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
M Case study help as per ISO 9001: 2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
M Case study solution help required as per ISO 9001 : 2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
A Beginners help with ISO3951-2 Combined control s-method n>5 what is Phi ?? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
MDD_QNA Medical Device Software - Is a Help Button required? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
S Need help with analysing a survey on minitab Using Minitab Software 1
M Help me improve the definition for internal PPM Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
I Help: QFD House of Quality Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
C New to Site - Request Help with API Q2 Implementation Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 9
O Please, help with document on ISO/ TS 17758 and (IDF 87: 1979). Thank you. Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
A Class medical device (MDD) - Classification help EU Medical Device Regulations 1
K A proposal for the model Quality Management - I need help for the project ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
A Help with Drawing Review - ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Q % Study variation low, % tolerance high - GR&R Interpretation help Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
R Probability - Need a help to solve the below question Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
M Thanks for the help Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
Judy Abbott Can any one help me with an urgent BIOCOMPATIBILITY Impact assessment? Internal Auditing 9
A Help establishing regulatory requirements - Plastic dental cartridge syringe US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
A Medical Device Contract Manufacturing Requirements and Information - Help wanted ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
8 Need Help - Runout - Function Gage Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
T Burn out - Tips to help combat QC burnout Career and Occupation Discussions 19
Emran.mi Measurement system analysis - Can you help me about implementation MSA for CMM device Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
S New to FAIR, need help in filling it out AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
M Informational From RAPS: Danish Regulators Seek to Help Smaller Companies With EU MDR Compliance Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Reliability Testing - Weibull Analysis Help Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
L Help me to decide which test to use - If each proportion belongs to the same population Using Minitab Software 7
M Informational US FDA issued the first warning letter for UDI violations to help ensure compliance Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
T QMS Template Help - Small machine shop/job shop Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
R Pls help --- Need expert advice on Video Measurement Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 0
B Will you please help me with my academic project? Repair & calibration service for test equipment ISO 17025 related Discussions 0
B [Help] Customer Engagement Survey for MBA Project - due Apr19 Manufacturing and Related Processes 0