Help With Calibration of Software - Microcontroller firmware

• Thread starter qualitygoddess - 2010
  • Start date
Q

qualitygoddess - 2010

I am sure these questions may generate other questions on my part, but I have to start somewhere! Here goes:

1. we program a firmware onto a microcontroller using three types of programming devices that "automatically" verify that the program has been placed on the microcontroller. In one case, the supplier of the programming device provides a calibration service. I get a calibration cert after their visit. In another case, the supplier of a different programming device does not provide a calibration service. Suggestions on how to calibrate in-house??

2. we have programmers who write software, specifically software drivers that control the computer's communication with the microcontrollers. When we do product validation during either beta site testing, or with internal testing, is this calibration? Or to rephrase -- do we need to calibrate the software??

Hoping the metrology gurus will respond! (Thanks to Al, who did respond last time)

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
G

Graeme

Thinking outside the ... hardware

Qualitygoddess,
You are definitely asking some thought-provoking questions here. That's good - keep it up. It's good for us to strech our minds out and think outside the ... hardware.

qualitygoddess said:
1. we program a firmware onto a microcontroller using three types of programming devices that "automatically" verify that the program has been placed on the microcontroller. In one case, the supplier of the programming device provides a calibration service. I get a calibration cert after their visit. In another case, the supplier of a different programming device does not provide a calibration service. Suggestions on how to calibrate in-house??
I suppose the first question is, what is actually being done during this calibration. The programming devices are electronic and can be calibrated in the traditional sense of verifying that voltages, signal timing and so on are within published specifications. I have seen a few things like this. If this is what is done, then a trained technician with calibrated instruments could do it in-house.

As for verifying that the program was loaded properly, the new programmed chip can be simply read out and compared with the source file. The comparison may be either bit-for-bit (slower but exact) or by matching checksums (fast but less exact). That is the sort of mind-numbing job that computers are excellent at. cool.gif The source file would have been verified earlier by methods discussed below ...

qualitygoddess said:
2. we have programmers who write software, specifically software drivers that control the computer's communication with the microcontrollers. When we do product validation during either beta site testing, or with internal testing, is this calibration? Or to rephrase -- do we need to calibrate the software??
Consider that we can describe the essence of calibration as the process of providing a known stimulus to an object, reading the object's output or other response, and comparing the result to a performance standard. Then the question becomes, does it matter if it is a hardware object (which we are all used to) or a software object?

Is the performance standard the specification that the software object is supposed to meet? Is the specification sufficiently detailed so that it covers all known cases and interactions? (Including null, exactly on the limits, out of range, incorrect type and so on as well as the "expected" values?) If all of this is true, then it could be possible to consider this type of software validation as a form of calibration. (I will allow that a number of us may have to stretch our minds a little to get around this -- self included! smile-a1.gif ) Carrying the analogy further, then "recalibration" is based on the version change schedule, and configuration management equates to calibration seals.

Another problem may be in claiming metrological traceability. When calibrating the programming machine (#1 above) that's not a problem - the measurements I mentioned trace to the SI Volt and Second. In most cases, the performance of a software object has to, by necessity, be traceable to the customer requirements and the design specifications agreed to by the customer. In effect, the "measurement standard" is an agreeement between your customer and you, the supplier. In other cases, such as when you are creating a communication layer DLL to handle a specific protocol, then the published standard (document) for that protocol can be considered a measurement standard for the external inputs and outputs, and the other design requirements are still the measurement standard for linking the communication layer with the top layer application.

As for "need to", of course the software object has to meet the specified requirements, in the same manner that a physical object such as a micrometer has to meet its specified requirements. If it does not, then the customer would not be pleased, right?

Does this help, or should I stop digging the hole?

-----------------------------------------------------------

I just read over what I wrote earlier, and I started wondering if I was still in the measurement science forum or had warped over to the philosophy and metaphysics one! magic.gif Oh well, life is like that sometimes.

Q

qualitygoddess - 2010

Thanks to you for yet another great answer. I'm not a metrology person, so I appreciate the help!

--Jodi, aka qualitygoddess

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Indysoft Calibration Software Thread Plug Template Help General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
C Software Validation - GageTrak Calibration Software - Please Help Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 6
R First Time Managing Calibration and Measurement System. Need Help. General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
R Need help on calibration result analysis Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 17
B Will you please help me with my academic project? Repair & calibration service for test equipment ISO 17025 related Discussions 0
M Need help in Calibration of Directional Coupler General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
N Cry for help - FDA calibration requirement for accuracy & precision General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
M Help with uncertainty calculation in the calibration of a Pyrogen Test Processor Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 7
E Help me with Surface Plate Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
B Urgent Help With Calibration Issue AMS 2750 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
P HiPot Calibration help needed General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
S Primary Temperature Standard to -65 degrees C - Calibration Help General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
N Fluke 724 Calibration help needed General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
S Ultrasonic Thickness Gauge / Step block - Calibration - help General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
M Help writing a Radiometer Calibration Procedure General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
T Calibration and Control - Need help with plug, ring, and thread plug gages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
M Source code and explanation for computer simulation in camera calibration, HELP Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 2
C CCT (Certified Calibration Technician) test - Is there somewhere I can get more help? Professional Certifications and Degrees 2
C Calibration process study help needed - Have I have selected a correct test design? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
S Outsourced Process - Calibration - HELP! ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
D How can I help my calibration suppliers? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
L Senior Project Help - Setting up a calibration laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
C Opening a new Calibration Laboratory - Need help General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
A Help Locate Calibration Services in Thailand General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
N Confused by calibration concepts - Seeking help with the basics General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
C Help and Advice Requested: Calibration of Weight Sets General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
M Can someone help me with this CMM programming question? Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
C Need help in determining applicable clause for an audit finding (based on AS9120B) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
M Attempting to Poke Yoke a wire crimping process...need help Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
marmotte Help with Surgical Class I + 510(k) exemption US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
T Help with updating procedures ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
P Looking for help with an Ansys Workbench problem Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
C I need your help to find the action plan for these quality objectives Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 23
O New metal detector, ccp -help! Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 1
J PFMEA/control plan question- PLEASE HELP ! IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
J Help needed on clauses identification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
S HELP in setting-up QMS Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 4
S Help in SMART goals AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
Vader22 IATF 16949 extended manufacturing site help IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
G Need Help with Run @ Rate for Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
F Need help in IMS management review Management Review Meetings and related Processes 3
A Please Help With EOQ Calculation Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
S Help needed in choosing the method of calculating the minimum sample size Internal Auditing 12
D IATF 16949 Certification and Letter of Conformance expiry (Help!!!) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
S I need help in corrective action plan Nonconformance and Corrective Action 15
S Help in document control procedure Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
D Weird spec sheet - need help Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
Edward Reesor ISO 19223 Discussion (Help) Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
J Help to understand and response to API AAR during the re-certification audit Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 17
S NC and Deviation approach - please help Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 12