Help with interpreting stock market terminologies

B

bi-lo

I started investing in certain company listed in Philippine Stock Exchange index since July 2013 via a broker. I plan on buying on a monthly basis. Said company (stock) is recommended "hold" by the broker, which means:

Stocks that have a HOLD rating have either
1. attractive fundamentals but expensive valuation
2) attractive valuations but near term earnings outlook might be poor or vulnerable to numerous risks.
Given the said factors, the share price of the stocks may perform merely inline or underperform the market in the next six to twelve months.

The way I understand it is that the market is expected to have lower yield within 2013 and 2014. Would anyone be able to tell me if I understood the explanation correctly? Should I transfer my investment to other company or stock?

Thanks in Advance!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Mikishots

Trusted Information Resource
Typically, what this means is exactly what it sounds like - hold off on significant transactions until more visibility into trending can be seen. Houses rarely issue anything less than "hold", so that's why you would very rarely see any listed as "sell".

Different brokerage houses can use the term differently, but a "hold" is typically better than sell, but not better than buy - right in the middle as expected.

So..what to do? If you were to see a stock drop from "strong buy" to "hold" in a relatively short amount of time, look into it carefully - it can make the difference between losing or getting out just in time.

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
First, it's good that you are putting "part" of your nest eggs into stocks. (Rarely a good idea to put all your eggs in one basket.)

Second, small stockholders (less than 10,000 shares by many broker guidelines) are rarely privy to timely information to jump in and out of a stock ahead of the general market move. This is offset by having an inside track on information of the company whose stock is held. When we discuss Deming's System of Profound Knowledge (SoPK), we know a company employee far down the ladder from those normally listed as "insiders" can, in fact, have good information equal to or better than third party stock analysts and so can "possibly" make moves ahead of the market. It is tricky, and company employees should discuss their status and knowledge sources with an attorney FIRST to avoid being termed "insider" by SEC investigators.

Similarly, trading in the stocks of suppliers or customers also has advantages and pitfalls.

If your stock purchases don't fall in those categories, you are best served by getting very comfortable with the broker who handles your account and be forthcoming about your expectations in owning stock - quick profit? current income? long-term growth? inflation hedge? etc. - and trust his recommendation to buy, sell, hold any particular stock.

Some folks are day traders (I have a cousin who took early retirement and day trades via computer under the shade of a tree in his back yard.) A day trader is dealing with discount brokers so his profits aren't eaten by brokerage fees. Those day traders pay attention to hold, buy, and sell recommendations floating around various brokerage houses ONLY as cues for them to do further personal research on such stocks to come to their own conclusions.

Finally, recognize the difference between "investing" and "trading" - they may not always be the same thing.

B

bi-lo

Thanks Mikishots and Wes!

I'm a neophyte in stock market. I'm not a day trader. I picked two companies.. bought share of stocks and gradually increase each month as a savings. In short, long term investment with the presumption that the share prices of 'good' company/stock increases through time.

Problem is one of the stocks I picked recommended by the broker as "hold". I asked them if they can forecast a potential for hitting it big (or gain growth) next year or maybe the year to come being the leader in the industry. I told them that I wish to know from their perspective if I did the right timing buying it now as it is cheap now.

Here is the broker's reply:

I am not sure if I understood your question correctly, but are you asking me at level Company ABC’s share price will be next year? Well, our FV estimate for Company ABC is at Php42.3/sh, and all of our FV estimates have a time horizon of 1 year. For companies in general, being an industry leader is a plus in terms of stock appreciation potential, but you also have to consider other factors such as the stock’s valuation, earnings growth outlook etc. For Company ABC, although it offers good valuation and is an industry leader in terms of profitability, the downside for this stock is that short term earnings, from 2013 to 2014, will be under pressure due to several factors (please read my previous reports on Company ABC in our website archive), thus the HOLD rating. I hope i answered your question.

If I understood their explanation correctly, the market is expected to have lower yield within 2013 and 2014. I'm confused whether the "hold" recommendation means I should transfer my Company ABC investment to other company or not since I preferred a long term investment style.

Additional info:

Broker's definition of "Buy" and "Sell" ratings:

Buy - Stocks that have a BUY rating have attractive fundamentals and valuations, based on our analysis. We expect the share price to outperform the market in the next six years to twelve months.

Sell - We dislike both the valuations and fundamentals of stocks with a SELL rating. We expect the share price to underperform in the next six to twelve months.

For the "Hold" rating, please refer to my initial post.

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
Since I don't know the identity of the company in question, nor do I have any inkling about your personal finances, I'm not in a position to counsel you on any individual stock decision as I used to do for the clients of my investment bank in the 70s and 80s. Let me emphasize that a reputable and ethical brokerage house usually means that a shareholder should continue to hold a stock on its "hold" list because it feels that the brokerage costs of selling one stock and replacing it with another will result in a net loss.

Rather than incurring "no value added" trading losses, such brokers usually advise buying an additional stock on its "buy" list, thus averaging out. Obviously, a lot depends on whether you have ANY profit locked in on the "hold" stock which would far outweigh the brokerage fees of trading for another stock.

I want to point out that I am NOT advising you on any particular stock, nor would I unless you were a paying client. I am trying to enlarge your knowledge (and that of any casual reader who is similarly unlearned) of how the business works in a general way, WITHOUT leaving myself open to questions of "back channel touting" so prevalent all over the internet.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Help interpreting 21 CFR Part 806 (corrections and removals) Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
M Help interpreting MIL-STD-105E Single Sampling Plans Tables Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
M Biocompatibility in Respiratory Products - Help interpreting whitepaper IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 22
S Interpreting Level of Confidence - Round Robin for Tensile Testing - Help needed Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
N TL 9000 - Help Interpreting Normalization Unit for Measurements TL 9000 Telecommunications Standard and QuEST 2
L Software and Web Site Development - Need help with interpreting 7.5.2 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
P Help Interpreting "Variable Tolerance Limit" - MMC Modifiers - Geometric Tolerance Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 18
M Case study help as per ISO 9001: 2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
M Case study solution help required as per ISO 9001 : 2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 0
A Beginners help with ISO3951-2 Combined control s-method n>5 what is Phi ?? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
MDD_QNA Medical Device Software - Is a Help Button required? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
S Need help with analysing a survey on minitab Using Minitab Software 1
I Help: QFD House of Quality Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
C New to Site - Request Help with API Q2 Implementation Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 10
O Please, help with document on ISO/ TS 17758 and (IDF 87: 1979). Thank you. Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
A Class medical device (MDD) - Classification help EU Medical Device Regulations 1
K A proposal for the model Quality Management - I need help for the project ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
A Help with Drawing Review - ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Q % Study variation low, % tolerance high - GR&R Interpretation help Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
R Probability - Need a help to solve the below question Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
M Thanks for the help Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
Judy Abbott Can any one help me with an urgent BIOCOMPATIBILITY Impact assessment? Internal Auditing 9
A Help establishing regulatory requirements - Plastic dental cartridge syringe US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
A Medical Device Contract Manufacturing Requirements and Information - Help wanted ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
8 Need Help - Runout - Function Gage Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
T Burn out - Tips to help combat QC burnout Career and Occupation Discussions 9
Emran.mi Measurement system analysis - Can you help me about implementation MSA for CMM device Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
S New to FAIR, need help in filling it out AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 8
M Informational From RAPS: Danish Regulators Seek to Help Smaller Companies With EU MDR Compliance Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Reliability Testing - Weibull Analysis Help Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
L Help me to decide which test to use - If each proportion belongs to the same population Using Minitab Software 7
M Informational US FDA issued the first warning letter for UDI violations to help ensure compliance Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
T QMS Template Help - Small machine shop/job shop Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
R Pls help --- Need expert advice on Video Measurement Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 0
B Will you please help me with my academic project? Repair & calibration service for test equipment ISO 17025 related Discussions 0
B [Help] Customer Engagement Survey for MBA Project - due Apr19 Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
B Help with Customer Engagement Survey for MBA Project - due Apr19 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
Q ISO 3310 Clarification Help - Aperture sizes for sieves used for particle sorting Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
Ajit Basrur Need help to understand HIPAA requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
JoshuaFroud FDA Form MDSAP AU F0029.1.004 - Help with Completion US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
supadrai Aviation MRO Project facility coming to U-Tapao airport in Thailand - Help Career and Occupation Discussions 2
E Small one man shop with QMS (shoptech e2) | AS9100 cert help AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 46
L Please help me with the process of getting ISO 9001 certified Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 15
K Please help identify appropriate statistical treatment Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 13
S Help develop sampling plan for prototype samples (medical devices) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
J Nonconforming product procedures SOP help :) Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
J Help with Arburg Allround 320s Injection Molding Machine Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
Z I need help with getting a CFS in China Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
S Help me build an Excel Spreadsheet for tracking training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 14
S Need help wrapping my head around confidence vs beta error Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2