Help with uncertainty calculation in the calibration of a Pyrogen Test Processor

MetroBioCen

Involved In Discussions
Hello everybody

I'm here again with another question for you.

I have to determine the uncertainty in the calibration of a Pyrogen Test Processor. This device is simply a digital thermometer with a thermocouple sensor. Well, in fact, with multiple thermocouple sensors (about 75) and the device scan every 15 minutes for all thermocouples.

The calibration procedure that I'm using is as follow:
I put the thermocouples in a stable bath (stability about 0,01 ?C)
When readings are stable, I take reading of all the thermocouples and the standard that I use.

My question is: For a type B uncertainty calculation:
Should I consider the uncertainty of the thermocouples and the digital indicator independently or;
Should I consider the uncertainty of the sensor-indicator as a whole.

Thanks in advance.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
A Quick Bump!

Can someone help?

If your questions were answered here, please consider helping others.

Thank you very much!

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Staff member
Super Moderator
Each should be considered independently as a Type B contribution. Also, the uncertainty of the bath (if purchased) from its last calibration. You should also consider the uncertainty of thermocouples in the temp range they will be used. Also, if going through different environments (much hotter or much cooler) you should consider the effect of that on the uncertainty in the range they will be used.

Hope this helps.

MetroBioCen

Involved In Discussions
Reading again the post by Hershal and some papers that I searched on the web I have found some dicrepancies. I have not found any paper saying that the TC and the digital indicator should be considered independently. This get me confused.

Help please!!!

These are the papers that I found this weekend.

http://www.ukas.com/library/Technic...hnical-Articles/Pubs-List/M3003_Ed3_final.pdf

http://www.upscale.utoronto.ca/PVB/Harrison/GUM/02_DigitalInstruments/02_DigitalInstruments.pdf

http://www.cem.es/sites/default/files/th-001e.pdf (sorry, in Spanish)

dgriffith

Quite Involved in Discussions
Here are some of the uncertainty contributions to be considered:
  • • Bias in the reference SPRT.
  • • Error associated with the repeat measurements taken with the SPRT.
  • • Error associated with the SPRT Scanner.​
  • • Error associated with the repeat measurements taken with the thermocouple.​
  • • Error associated with the thermocouple scanner.​
  • • Error associated with the calibration bath.
Each of these 6 may themselves have multiple components, like the bath:
  • Stability
  • Uniformity
  • Display resolution, etc.
Short term repeat readings will capture these; however, if a single reading must be taken these bath characteristics must be included.

Even if a t/c and readout were to be married together to minimize overall error, they still have their individual uncertainty components; error and uncertainty are not the same thing, don't forget.
*So my answers to your questions are :
"My question is: For a type B uncertainty calculation:
Should I consider the uncertainty of the thermocouples and the digital indicator independently or;
Should I consider the uncertainty of the sensor-indicator as a whole."
Yes, and Yes. Because, after you do the first, you will combine them (along with other uncertainty components) to arrive at the second.

Last edited:

MetroBioCen

Involved In Discussions
Thank you very much dgriffith

Please, forgive my insistence, but this is very important in my conditions.

Suppose the case in which I do not have the chance to test them separately, but as a whole. But I have the uncertainty, reported by the manufacturer of both (in this case is the same manufacturer).

So, I must repeat the two questions again.

If I calculate the uncertainty independently (as I think I should), the result could be up to 0,3 ?C. The Pyrogen test is intended to detect a temperature variation of 0,5 ?C, so this equipment shouldn't be suitable, as the uncertainty could mask errors. But on the other hand, this equipment was built especifically for this test, by a specialized manufacturer, so, I think I'm doing something wrong.

Hope to have explained well, sorry, English is not my first language.

On the other hand, following this line of thought:

Would that be the same for a digital balance? Should I consider independently the uncertainty of the piezo-electric detector and the A/D converter?

Thanks in advance and apologise for my repetition.

Last edited:

dgriffith

Quite Involved in Discussions
Not sure I can be of more help. If it was purpose built as a system, then the manufacturer should have quantified the error/toleranced the system as a whole. What errors/tolerances are discussed in the manual?
Thermocouple limits of error are unique to the thermocouple type (they don't all have the same error). It can be as much as a few degrees depending on type.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
0 The Uncertainty of an Estimate of the Bias ISO 5725-1 - Help Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 8
P Measurement Uncertainty Calculations Spreadsheet help General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
A Please help me with Measurement Uncertainty (MU) Calculations? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 12
Hershal Measurement Uncertainty - Need help with ANS/ISO/IEC 17025 and MU ISO 17025 related Discussions 0
D Amendment Class II - Please confirm if the submission is by email (Canada) - Help Canada Medical Device Regulations 0
T ISO/IEC 17065 certification scheme Help Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 7
T Help to Suggest name for a new certification and inspection company Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
SocalSurfer AS9100 new certificate, but need QMS software, help Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
L Manufacturing Process Audit Help IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
M Case study help as per ISO 9001: 2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
M Case study solution help required as per ISO 9001 : 2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
A Beginners help with ISO3951-2 Combined control s-method n>5 what is Phi ?? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
MDD_QNA Medical Device Software - Is a Help Button required? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
S Need help with analysing a survey on minitab Using Minitab Software 1
M Help me improve the definition for internal PPM Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
I Help: QFD House of Quality Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
C New to Site - Request Help with API Q2 Implementation Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 10
O Please, help with document on ISO/ TS 17758 and (IDF 87: 1979). Thank you. Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
A Class medical device (MDD) - Classification help EU Medical Device Regulations 1
K A proposal for the model Quality Management - I need help for the project ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
A Help with Drawing Review - ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Q % Study variation low, % tolerance high - GR&R Interpretation help Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
R Probability - Need a help to solve the below question Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
M Thanks for the help Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
Judy Abbott Can any one help me with an urgent BIOCOMPATIBILITY Impact assessment? Internal Auditing 9
A Help establishing regulatory requirements - Plastic dental cartridge syringe US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
A Medical Device Contract Manufacturing Requirements and Information - Help wanted ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
8 Need Help - Runout - Function Gage Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
T Burn out - Tips to help combat QC burnout Career and Occupation Discussions 9
Emran.mi Measurement system analysis - Can you help me about implementation MSA for CMM device Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
S New to FAIR, need help in filling it out AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
M Informational From RAPS: Danish Regulators Seek to Help Smaller Companies With EU MDR Compliance Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Reliability Testing - Weibull Analysis Help Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
L Help me to decide which test to use - If each proportion belongs to the same population Using Minitab Software 7
M Informational US FDA issued the first warning letter for UDI violations to help ensure compliance Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
T QMS Template Help - Small machine shop/job shop Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
R Pls help --- Need expert advice on Video Measurement Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 0
B Will you please help me with my academic project? Repair & calibration service for test equipment ISO 17025 related Discussions 0
B [Help] Customer Engagement Survey for MBA Project - due Apr19 Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
B Help with Customer Engagement Survey for MBA Project - due Apr19 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
Q ISO 3310 Clarification Help - Aperture sizes for sieves used for particle sorting Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
Ajit Basrur Need help to understand HIPAA requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 17
JoshuaFroud FDA Form MDSAP AU F0029.1.004 - Help with Completion US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
supadrai Aviation MRO Project facility coming to U-Tapao airport in Thailand - Help Career and Occupation Discussions 2
E Small one man shop with QMS (shoptech e2) | AS9100 cert help AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 46
L Please help me with the process of getting ISO 9001 certified Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 15
K Please help identify appropriate statistical treatment Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 13
S Help develop sampling plan for prototype samples (medical devices) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
J Nonconforming product procedures SOP help :) Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
J Help with Arburg Allround 320s Injection Molding Machine Manufacturing and Related Processes 3