High Cpk's and Control Charts - Is it justified to stop using control charts?

M

MSAFAI

High Cpk's and Control Charts

Hi everybody,

In processes, where we have high Cpk's (like 2 or more), is it justified to stop using control charts (like X-bar and R) and instead, calculate Cpk every month or so ?

Thanks on beforehand.

[This message has been edited by MSAFAI (edited 04 August 2001).]

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
R

Rick Goodson

MSAFAI,

It depends on why you are running control charts to begin with. If customer mandated you need to discuss it with the customer. Even if you decide to discontinue them I would not leave the process run without some checks. You might consider pre-control charts as an alternative.

Rick

A

AJLenarz

MSAFAI,

I agree with Rick. It would not be wise to totally abandon process monitoring. If you have a high CPK, you may want to consider reducing the frequency of inspection and charting (with the consent and acknowledgement of the customer of course).

Also, the comment was made to stop control charts and calculate CPKs every month or so. The SPC manual’s definition of CPK is: “The capability index for a stable process…”. If you discontinue the use of the SPC chart then you will not know if your process is stable and capable. If you don’t know if your process is capable, can you calculate and report a CPK value?

M

MSAFAI

Dear Rick

Thanks for your input.
1- In this specific case customer has not mandated SPC. Actually, in my country OEM's are just starting to define special characteristics and SPC for them.

2- I didn't mean leave the process without any control. I meant just not to use control CHARTS. Normal periodic checks, of course, remain.

Thanks again
MSAFAI

M

MSAFAI

Dear AJLenarz,

Thanks for your comment.

About calculating Cpk on stable processes, I agree with you.

But for calculating Cpk we usually use control chart (at least for 20-25 subgroup) to establish control, then we proceed to Cpk calculation.

Thanks again,
MSAFAI

[This message has been edited by MSAFAI (edited 06 August 2001).]

A

Al Dyer

Too all,

Would and X-Bar MR chart be applicable in a case when stability and capability have been proven over time and special causes removed from the process?

Also, if applicable, could the variable control chart be replaced by an attribute chart under the same circimstances?

If so or not, why?

ASD...

M

MSAFAI

Guys,

by accident, I found an interesting forum discussion from 1999. Guess where?
***DEAD LINK REMOVED***

The same subject is discussed, with good inputs from Don Winton.

Regards
MSAFAI

Last edited by a moderator:
M

MSAFAI

Originally posted by Al Dyer:
Too all,

Would and X-Bar MR chart be applicable in a case when stability and capability have been proven over time and special causes removed from the process?

Also, if applicable, could the variable control chart be replaced by an attribute chart under the same circimstances?

If so or not, why?

ASD...
Dear Al,

1- As far as I know, X-MR is used in special cases where taking more than one sample each time is not practical (like in a very slow process).

If you mean X-MR can reduce sampling, you can achive the same by less frequent sampling.

I'm not an expert in this, but I think X-MR has a disadvantage that it is sensitive to non-normality of the underlying distribution (central limit theorem does not hold anymore)

2- About using an attribute chart, I think you would get a flat line (zero defect) almost all the time, even if the process goes out of control (because of high Cp/Cpk)

I hope it makes sense

Regards
MSAFAI

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Tensile made critical characteristic, but Cpk? High rate of rejection in a part Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 9
D Reducing gaging frequency/High Cpk Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
M Combining high Cpk (3, 4 or 5) with a set of XR charts Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
J Production Line Test Brasil - High Voltage Dielectric Strenght Test Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
S High voltage testing - ISO 17025 - 7.2.2 Validation of methods and 7.3 Sampling ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
R What is meant by Use of COMPONENTS WITH HIGH-INTEGRITY CHARACTERISTICS in ME EQUIPMENT (clause no 4.9) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
D Performance of high shear mixer (or rapid mixing granulator Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
Q % Study variation low, % tolerance high - GR&R Interpretation help Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
N Heavy tare to simulate high load in a routine sensitivity test of a floor scale? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
B HIGH QA Software - Auto ballooning software Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
F 5520A High Performance Multi-Product Calibrators General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
N Use part of high risk device for establishing low risk device EU Medical Device Regulations 0
M Informational EU – Candidate List of substances of very high concern for Authorisation Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational From RAPS – Another Notified Body Bows Out Ahead of EU MDR: ‘Investment Too High’ Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
M Sampling Plan for Alumin High Pressure Die Castings Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
M Informational EU – Draft Functional specifications for the European Database on Medical Devices (Eudamed) – First release (High(1)) to be audited Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
I DOE: High variance and small effects in Minitab Using Minitab Software 1
S High warpage and negative shrinking in PPO + PS blend Design and Development of Products and Processes 0
Sidney Vianna High number of certificate suspensions in the IAQG OASIS database AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 14
Paul Simpson Informational The role of Annex SL - High Level Structure of ISO MSS's - Revision Update February 2019 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
E High level structure - Planning and operation control Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 2
M Process Capability in a High Precision Environment Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 7
S Opinions on the "Best" CMM for High Accuracy Machining General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
O Is the Quality Objective for Company-wide Training as >90% too high? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
ncwalker Definition Needed: High Level Acronym Buzzword Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 9
N Timing for Closing High FMEA RPN Items FMEA and Control Plans 4
M ISO 13485 and the High Level Structure (HLS) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
P Is the next revision of ISO 15378 following the High Level Structure? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 5
P Accounting for Variability on High Side of Specification Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
J Uncertainty budget for IR thermometry at high T - 1000 - 1500?C Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
G Stable, Predictable, Control - High Volume Mfg Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
N Microsoft Word - How to make high-light go away after text is put in Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 5
J Meeting Feasibility Requirement - High number of part quotes IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
C Is there a standard for HALT (High Accelerated Life Testing)? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 13
Hershal This week in the High Desert Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 14
B Determing Machine Capability in a High Mix, Low Volume Sheet Metal Shop Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
Y How to cut off Extremely High and Low Data Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
C Suggestions on Sample Plans for High Volume/Low Cost/Low Risk Components Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
F High Level Disinfection Risk - Neonatal CPAP Device EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Viscometer MSA / GR&R failure - High Variability Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
2 High-tech medical equipment to reduce medication errors Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 5
M Differences between High, Medium, Low Risk Suppliers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
K Probability of Occurrence Ranking for Low Volume Manufacturing vs High Volume FMEA and Control Plans 11
M Quality issues in a manufacturing plant - High-pressured solvent spray cans Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
T Mercury is covered under RoHS but is not a substance of very high concern (SVHC) ? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 2
F Statistical Comparison of Product: High Average vs. Low Range Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 13
C AS 9102 Form 0 "Additional Information for High Risk Characteristics" AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
R How to Inspect the Weld Strength of High Pressure Vessel & Oil Pipe Line Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
J What to do about high rate of RGA's (Returns) Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
N Calibration Lab unable to issue Accredited Certificate when error is too high? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3