SBS - The best value in QMS software

HIPAA and GDPR applies? Medical therapy device

dore_m

Starting to get Involved
I was wondering if someone could verify my understanding about how HIPAA and GDPR apply to my company's products.

Our company produces a medical therapy device that can wirelessly transfer data to a dedicated PDA and or user's phone via app. The dedicated PDA or Phone app cannot transfer data outside of this system (that is, it's not cloud connected and the data cannot easily be transferred to a covered entity or business associate)

Since HIPAA is mainly associated with Covered Entities and Business Associates, the current product system only should comply with the "Security Rule" about ensuring security in the data transfer between device and PDA/Phone. Is that correct?

Regarding GDPR, I believe it's a similar situation as the user controls the data 100%, so there are little to no requirements for GDPR compliance.

Am I missing something?

-Dore

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C How medical device manufacturers are implementing standards like GDPR and HIPAA Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 5
D HIPAA, HITECH and Interoperability compliance route Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
S HIPAA-compliant monitoring software (advice needed) Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 1
G Do HIPAA Rules Apply to a 3rd Party Logistics Shipper? Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
Ajit Basrur Need help to understand HIPAA requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 17
GoSpeedRacer ISO 13485:2016 Clause 4.2.5 - Control of Records - HIPAA Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
K HIPAA - Subcontractors and suppliers Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
P HIPAA Privacy - Login password or USB Access key? Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
E Collecting Patient Information and Patient Identifiers - HIPAA Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
R HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) applicability Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
J Software Outsourcing - 21 CFR Part 11 and HIPAA Compliant Applications Career and Occupation Discussions 1
Ed Panek GDPR in Urgent Healthcare Setting Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
M GDPR - Is anonymizing sufficient to address right to erasure? Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 3
MrTetris GDPR - Purposes and duration of data collection Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 8
MrTetris GDPR - General Data Protection Regulation - Only applicable to EU data? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 6
Marc Privacy Policy - EU GDPR Compliance - 1 December 2018 Elsmar Cove Forum ToS and Forum Policies 0
L Implementation of ISO 27001 as part of the GDPR compliance journey Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
K GDPR - Is it really necessary for the DPO(s) to be knowledgeable to Data Privacy Law? IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 3
F DPA 2018 & GDPR 2016 EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M GDPR - Data portability and Data Deletion EU Medical Device Regulations 6
Q GDPR consulting service for Medical device Company EU Medical Device Regulations 0
L GDPR scope - "Personal data" definition - General Data Protection Regulation EU Medical Device Regulations 5
S GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) - My company is ISMS certified IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 3
Marc GDPR - EU Directive 2016/679 and the Elsmar Cove Discussion Forum Elsmar Cove Forum ToS and Forum Policies 3
W EU GDPR General Data Protection Regulation - What we need to update for our QMS EU Medical Device Regulations 14
T GDPR impact on ISO 9001 and Quality ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
T GDPR - General Data Protection Regulation (EU and UK 2018) Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 7
W CE Mark for Class III Medical Device - MDR or MDD applies? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 10
S Which ISO 9001 Clause applies to "Procedures are outdated"? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 31
E Which IEC 60601-1 Edition applies in different countries IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
D AS9100 - Who Determines What This Applies To In My Facility? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
B How RTY (Rolled Throughput Yield) applies to different industries Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
X Help with ISO 13485 Clause 6.4 as it applies to Medical Device Servicing ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 25
B What directive applies? Audio/Visual Medical Devices CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
B Customer Property Exclusion as it applies to Personal Data ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
S 12 Volt Medical Suction Equipment - Which Standard Applies? Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
L MDD Definition of Address as it applies to Medical Device Labeling EU Medical Device Regulations 20
K Internal laboratory - applies only to Calibration or also to other laboratories? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
L What Standard Applies to This? Feature (or defects) not depicted on the print Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
L Product Design and Development - How do I know if Clause 7.3 applies? Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
D 5s of Offices - Do you think it applies to every office? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 29
F The nonconforming product definition applies for the purchased products? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
L What does "This applies equally to purchased product" mean? TS 16949 clause 8.3.4 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
D Yates Algorithm as it applies to DOx or Regression Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2