SBS - The best value in QMS software

Hiring an External Auditor to perform our AS9100 Compliance Audits

W

WNQuality

As a response to potential downsizing I am investigating hiring an external auditor to perform our AS9100 compliance audits rather then having this task performed by our internal auditor.
I?m curious to hear your opinions of the pitfalls and benefits to this approach.
Some additional back ground: We have 2 sites in different provinces, approximately 150 personnel at each site, no exclusions to the standard, some centralized tasks are performed in the central office but most take place locally.
I appreciate any advice you can share
Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
As a response to potential downsizing I am investigating hiring an external auditor to perform our AS9100 compliance audits rather then having this task performed by our internal auditor.
I?m curious to hear your opinions of the pitfalls and benefits to this approach.
Some additional back ground: We have 2 sites in different provinces, approximately 150 personnel at each site, no exclusions to the standard, some centralized tasks are performed in the central office but most take place locally.
I appreciate any advice you can share
Thanks
The pros are getting someone who knows how to audit very quickly, compared to some internal folks who may need extensive coaching. On the other hand, for 2 facilities and 150 people, the cost of doing much more than a couple of audits a year - which is very typically what happens - is often a shock to management. If an outsider does a couple of audits a year then a) it's likely a non-compliance with 8.2.2 (status and importance) plus, they often do exactly what the CB auditor does and nothing more - so you're paying twice for basically the same thing.

Plan "C" could be to have someone come in a help select some candidates to train and mentor your own internal audit crew. You should be able to find a few in 150 people who are good candidates. It'll be cheaper and more effective in the long run - if you want an effective internal audit programme, not just to save money...

Big Jim

Super Moderator
From the perspective of someone that does many internal audits for many clients I'll off my thoughts.

Pro:
If you are selective about who you pick, you can end up with someone that knows the standard far better than those in you own company.

The outside auditor has experience with many companies and can usually adapt from one to another very quickly.

Someone who audits frequently knows how to review your documents and records and knows how to interview your employees.

He knows many of the pitfalls that companies fall into and can help you find them before the CB auditor does.

An outside auditor usually knows what is happening in the quality world and can make you aware of trends and other important news that you may not otherwise have easy access to.

Probably many more. I encourage others to accept the OPs invitation to chime in.

Con:
Expensive compared to using your own people (but sometimes you get what you pay for).

Scheduling may not be as flexible.

Probably more. Again I encourage others to accept the OPs invitation to chime in.

T

t.PoN

Agree with above.
if you go for it, then just make sure you have a criteria for selecting your auditors in case you want with an auditing companies. review their CV

Evaluate them as any other supplier.

I would make sure that the auditors signs a confidentiality statement in the contract - just in case they audit competitors or to protect your customers info.

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
From the perspective of someone that does many internal audits for many clients I'll off my thoughts.

Pro:
If you are selective about who you pick, you can end up with someone that knows the standard far better than those in you own company.

The outside auditor has experience with many companies and can usually adapt from one to another very quickly.

Someone who audits frequently knows how to review your documents and records and knows how to interview your employees.

He knows many of the pitfalls that companies fall into and can help you find them before the CB auditor does.

An outside auditor usually knows what is happening in the quality world and can make you aware of trends and other important news that you may not otherwise have easy access to.

Probably many more. I encourage others to accept the OPs invitation to chime in.

Con:
Expensive compared to using your own people (but sometimes you get what you pay for).

Scheduling may not be as flexible.

Probably more. Again I encourage others to accept the OPs invitation to chime in.
Great points...

In addition, interview the potential candidates for auditor position just like any other candidates and ask management for input in the process.

Note: In the process... ask how they would improve the processes. You will soon start weeding out the good, the bad, and the ugly. :2cents:

WCHorn

Rubber, Too Glamorous?
Trusted Information Resource
As a response to potential downsizing I am investigating hiring an external auditor to perform our AS9100 compliance audits ... I appreciate any advice you can share.
The company I work for has been successful in subcontracting internal audits. I believe the only con that has affected us is that the auditors we hire, all qualified as lead auditors in ISO, AS and TS, tend to be too top level. I often have to remind them that the QMS documentation has been audited to death by second and third party auditors; I know it conforms to the requirements. I have to assure they dig in to the process, especially product realization, to assure we find problems (like document control issues and divergence between actions and procedures).

Otherwise, the experience has been positive. I've found that it's not as expensive as you might think, especially if you consider the cost of constantly training new auditors to replace those that move on or are promoted, and re-training current auditors to keep them up to speed. Subcontracted internal audits provide consistency of results I didn't have with our own internal auditors.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
O Is hiring more difficult right now? Career and Occupation Discussions 13
M Hiring Decisions - How much effort do you put into the hiring process these days? (7/2020) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6
T Internal Audit Schedule when Hiring Out Internal Auditing 7
F Cost of hiring ISO 17025 Consultant to Build Laboratory From Scratch ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
P Audit Man Day Requirements - Small AS9100 Company hiring New Employees AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 18
Wes Bucey A justification to take HR out of hiring Career and Occupation Discussions 3
F Anyone have experience of a hiring a Social Anthropologist? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 9
S Is hiring a CB for certification and periodic audits an outsourced activity? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
Jim Wynne You've Come a Long Way, Baby - Gender in Hiring Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
Stijloor China is hiring, and young Americans are going Career and Occupation Discussions 16
DanteCaspian Procedure outline for hiring process Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
E Service Company Hiring Procedure Reconciliation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
C Need guide to write email/letter to hiring manager Career and Occupation Discussions 3
L Medical Devices Jobs - Abbott is currently hiring ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
C Need opinion to keep alive candidacy - Position hiring placed on Hold Career and Occupation Discussions 12
Ajit Basrur FDA Embarks on Major Hiring Initiative for its Public Health Mission US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
W What are the requirements for having documented hiring standards? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Marc Company Makes Hiring Mistake, Sues Employee To Get Money Back Career and Occupation Discussions 11
A IBM hiring more than 14,000 new workers in India this year Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
Marc Brain Scans in Hiring - Brain imaging spreads to nonmedical uses Career and Occupation Discussions 3
Claes Gefvenberg How do you (try to) make certain you're hiring the right person? Career and Occupation Discussions 17
R Outsourcing Internal Audits - Hiring a contractor to plan and perform internal audits Internal Auditing 21
M Calibration Certificate Result issued by an accredited external laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
L IATF external audit virtual (remote) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
A IEC 62304 safety classification, External Controls and off-label use related risks IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
R External Audit and Certificate prorogation due to the pandemic General Auditing Discussions 10
N Audit non-compliance API Q1 - Use of External Documents 4.4.4 in Product Realization Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 8
J 510(k) for a control kit for an external IVD test kit 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
R Is it required to have an SOP for external audits? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 7
Pmarszal External Standards and Regulations Management Process Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
I What kind of wine best complements the Friday that you close out your external audit findings? Opinions are welcome. Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 12
B How to apply external voltage to SIP/SOP IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
P Qualifying commercial off the shelf (COTS) external suppliers ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
B Internal and external auditor competency to CSR's IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 20
N IATF 16949:2016 7.1.5.3.2 External Laboratory - How to approve the Testing Laboratory without accreditation scope IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
A OHSAS 18001 external auditor finding personal interpretation? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 5
L External power supplies: How close does the safety report have to match the end-use application? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
D Reduction of software class based on multiple external risk controls IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
C Identifying and Controlling External Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
C External Laboratories and OEM Calibration IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
Q AS9120B flow down to external providers: Records Retention AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
Casana IATF 16949 7.1.5.3.2 External Laboratory - On Site Calibration IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
B Using external FDA and ISO 13485 audit as internal audit Internal Auditing 6
C ISO 17025 2017, Requirement 6.6.3 - Communicate requirements to external providers ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
C Determining if Maintenance Contractor is an External Service subject to ISO 9001 Clause 8.4 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 43
qualprod The Perfect audit? External Audit causes a significant negative impact in a company General Auditing Discussions 9
K AS9100D 8.4.1.1 external providers question - Walmart, Home Depot, our lawn care team. etc. AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 20
A External Auditor issue with Internal Audits Internal Auditing 7
R Do we need to treat local law as external origin documents? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
D ISO 9001:2015 Clause 8.4.3 "Information for External Providers" buying from online retailers. ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10