Hiring Decisions - How much effort do you put into the hiring process these days? (7/2020)

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
I am curious how much effort various companies put into the hiring process these days. Does your company just seek to quickly fill open positions with whatever "warm bodies" they can find, or do they put a great deal of time and effort into finding just the right candidate -- preferring to leave a position open longer than they would like if it takes longer to find the right person? Or somewhere in between?

Does the effort put into the hiring process differ substantially for management types vs. production workers?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
My experience has always been that no matter how much effort is put into finding the ideal candidate, you have no way of knowing what you've got until they're hired and on the job.

Scanton

Wearer of many hats
I agree with Jim Wynne 100%. When it comes to hiring new people it is always a gamble.

I have seen people go through 3 interviews with top management (genuinely intelligent people) and wow them to the extent that they are absolutely sure they have the right person for the job, only to find they are letting them go a few months later (during the probation period) because they clearly incapable of doing the job.

I have also seen a person go through a series of interviews and the end result was that the same management were still unsure about hiring them, only to find when they took the chance that this person was exceptional at their job and clearly just struggled to present themselves well in interviews.

To answer your question, were I work now has a very limited local talent pool to pick from, and anyone from further afield that is already qualified is just too expensive for us to hire.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
So is there no value added to carefully screening several candidates and trying to pick the best one out of, say 3-5 that are interviewed? Are you just as likely to get a good candidate by hiring the first warm body that seems to meet minimal criteria?

I gotta tell you that I agree, in hiring like in picking a spouse, there is no known foolproof method to always ensuring you pick "the right one", but I believe there are ways to increase the odds of doing so, and that the effort is worth it. IMO hiring good-great people is one of the most important things we as managers can do. But I think I am in the minority.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
I'm not saying that you shouldn't do your due diligence. I'm just saying that the best-laid plans go to hell sometimes. The important thing, I think, is to have a plan, and to act decisively if it looks like the Chosen One isn't going to work out.

Tidge

Quite Involved in Discussions
I am curious how much effort various companies put into the hiring process these days. Does your company just seek to quickly fill open positions with whatever "warm bodies" they can find, or do they put a great deal of time and effort into finding just the right candidate -- preferring to leave a position open longer than they would like if it takes longer to find the right person? Or somewhere in between?
I have seen the "hiring process" lead to outcomes that did not meet expectations. Where I have some measure of control, I have changed my thinking about the 'hiring' as the process; instead I think of 'hiring' as one step in an 'employment process'. For my direct reports, this means that I have more than just a job description to offer, but also planned tasks with enough specifics that both I and the potential hire are aware of what they will be asked to do. In the post-hire period, I have an (internal, unvocalized) set of metrics that I am using to evaluate the new hire as they are mentored through the tasks. Later, as I have an assessment of their capabilities we'll collaborate on future activities... as allowed by business needs.

When I'm not the direct supervisor, if I am to collaborate with a new hire I will adopt a peer-mentorship approach. Such new hires are under no obligation to pay attention to me, of course! My experience has been that new hires that don't look for peer-partners are more prone to have 'issues' at work which can impact everyone's performance.

Golfman25

We try to hire to our core values. Up until recently, almost impossible. (not sure now with unemployment so high) We are looser with production workers. Workers are just different these days.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Internal Audit Schedule when Hiring Out Internal Auditing 7
F Cost of hiring ISO 17025 Consultant to Build Laboratory From Scratch ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
W Hiring an External Auditor to perform our AS9100 Compliance Audits AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
P Audit Man Day Requirements - Small AS9100 Company hiring New Employees AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 18
Wes Bucey A justification to take HR out of hiring Career and Occupation Discussions 3
F Anyone have experience of a hiring a Social Anthropologist? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 9
S Is hiring a CB for certification and periodic audits an outsourced activity? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
Jim Wynne You've Come a Long Way, Baby - Gender in Hiring Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
Stijloor China is hiring, and young Americans are going Career and Occupation Discussions 16
DanteCaspian Procedure outline for hiring process Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
E Service Company Hiring Procedure Reconciliation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
C Need guide to write email/letter to hiring manager Career and Occupation Discussions 3
L Medical Devices Jobs - Abbott is currently hiring ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
C Need opinion to keep alive candidacy - Position hiring placed on Hold Career and Occupation Discussions 12
Ajit Basrur FDA Embarks on Major Hiring Initiative for its Public Health Mission US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
W What are the requirements for having documented hiring standards? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Marc Company Makes Hiring Mistake, Sues Employee To Get Money Back Career and Occupation Discussions 11
A IBM hiring more than 14,000 new workers in India this year Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
Marc Brain Scans in Hiring - Brain imaging spreads to nonmedical uses Career and Occupation Discussions 3
Claes Gefvenberg How do you (try to) make certain you're hiring the right person? Career and Occupation Discussions 17
R Outsourcing Internal Audits - Hiring a contractor to plan and perform internal audits Internal Auditing 21
M EU – REACH Authorisation Decisions List REACH and RoHS Conversations 0
M EU – Chemical Safety Report – CSR – REACH Authorisation decisions – Triton X-100 – Ortho-clinical-Use1 REACH and RoHS Conversations 0
M Informational US FDA – Requests for Supervisory Review of Certain Decisions Made by the Center for Devices and Radiological Health – Final Rule Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Q Tracking savings - Long term projects and the day to day decisions Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 5
somashekar Uptodate.com: A clinical decision support resource - Point-of-care decisions Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 1
M What the FDA considers a Prescription Device - Decisions and Implications Other US Medical Device Regulations 18
R Final guidance - FDA Decisions for IDE Clinical Investigations Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
B Adoption of a Quality Management System - About Strategic Decisions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
T What does the Gage R&R results tell about my Accept/Reject Decisions? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
J AS9100 Control of Non Conforming Product - Personnel who make Disposition Decisions AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 31
C Understanding Design Decisions relating to Safety and Usability Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 3
Marc Earthworms form herds and make "group decisions" World News 2
W Using an "OR" or an "AND" in Multiple Decisions Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 6
T Who makes archiving decisions in your organization? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
renenatasha Not a medical device anywhere except US and Canada - Tough Decisions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 15
W 510(k) FDA Memorandum #k97-1 and S & E decisions 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
A Process for Approving Personnel Making Decisions - AS9100 Clause 8.3 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 8
Y Measurement Systems Analysis - Effect on Process Decisions - MSA Manual page 19 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
O 8D Problem Solving Content Decisions and Support Materials Nonconformance and Corrective Action 6
Douglas E. Purdy How Do You Flow Either / Or Decisions? Examples Attached Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
L Using Cpk index for Accept / Reject Decisions Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
D Pre-Control Chart to guide in-process inspection / adjustment decisions Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 43
A Ethics: Ethical Decisions Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 4
D Hostile Assumptions #2 - Quality is not a major factor in customer decisions Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 12
M Do I Expect Too Much of Job Candidates? Career and Occupation Discussions 33
B ISO 9001:2015 Transition: Much Easier Than You Think! Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 0
E How much a bioequivalence study will cost in the UK Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
pammesue So much turnover, How to improve our training process? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 32
T ISO 9001:2008 to 2015 transition - How much work to change? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14