History of Quality Control

harry

Trusted Information Resource
Nice write-up. Just wonder if the following few points are worth mentioning.

1. The influence of ‘supply and demand’
At the initial stage when the market detects a demand, manufacturers or suppliers rushed in to fill the gap and their pockets with both good and crappy goods. Both find demand in different segments as people who pay different dollars have different expectations. As the market matures and overproduction creeps in coupled with consumers becoming more educated, a supply exceeding demand situation builds up. Companies have to innovate to survive. Efficiency and cost control coupled with quality finished goods (in other words, a QMS) are the way to go.

2. The influence and experience gained from the major wars.
Craft or skill based production was good enough in the old days but the effect of war saw sudden and huge surges in demand. In between, a lot of crappy goods were produced. A huge percentage of rifles sent to the war front were defective and is true of the ammunition as well as aircraft and ships. These gave rise to the pioneering efforts of the military in the quality field (control for the mass production of quality goods).

3. The cold war and arms race.
The battle was fought in many fronts. The number of successful missile launches, accuracy, payload, capability, etc. All these translate to ‘quality and technology’. The battle soon extends to space and gives rise to techniques such as FMEA and a host of others (advance techniques to ensure the production of complex quality products).

Paul Simpson

Just a thank you to BradM for reviewing my article and taking the time to pull out all the grammar errors and generally tidy up the article. Thanks, Brad. You're a star!
:thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks:

Last edited:

Ajit Basrur

Leader
Admin
Hi Paul,

Just curious - in your previous draft, there was mention about India but do not see in the final version. Any specific reason for removing it ?

Paul Simpson

Hi Paul,

Just curious - in your previous draft, there was mention about India but do not see in the final version. Any specific reason for removing it ?

Well spotted. In the last version it had a heading of its own. Now it is in with other Ancient QC (currently incorrectly headed "Ancient China"). I will update.

BradM

Leader
Admin
Paul,

Thanks for the mention. I enjoyed helping. Writing is hard work, and I appreciate anyone who takes time to do it.

Paul Simpson

Paul, your article is superb. It has given me inputs for my training. ;)

A small percentage of your day rate or monthly pay check will be ample reward, Qualityalways. Drop me a PM and I'll send you details of where to send the money. :D

Last edited:
Top Bottom