History of quality

Ettore

Quite Involved in Discussions
I don't remember how many internal, second- and third-party audits I participated in, but I well remember that a high percentage of people met during the audits carried out, third-party or second party auditors, Quality managers, Quality control officers did not know the people today called the Quality Gurus, and this amazed me a lot.

A few times then I happened to have to deal with Quality System Managers that when asked: does he know what a Quality Management System is, they replied that they had never heard of it.

This prompted me to build a simple website based on some quality manuals The History of Quality management written by some of the quality gurus mentioned, which could help Quality students who are passionate about their work.

To the others, I would just like to advise them to deal with somethi⁷ng else, football for example, many of them were in these very experts. If the objectives that the Quality Systems set themselves have not been achieved, it is only the responsibility of these people

ED76

Starting to get Involved
That's interesting, thank you. I have been working in companies with quality management systems since the late 80s, one of my employers back then gave us a lot of quality training and the names Deming, Shewhart, Juran etc were all familiar, but I rarely hear of them now, I am certain my younger colleagues won't have heard of them.

Ettore

Randy

Super Moderator
If your teaching history of quality you've gotta get past the 20th & 19th centuries and get into history. When did quality in manufacturing or service provision really begin? I don't know but here's and example I used to use when teaching all the crazy stuff I used to teach. (It shows an old ISO 9001:2008 clause but no matter) King Tut bandages.png

Randy

Super Moderator
Another bit of quality history I used to point out when told that all of this quality stuff was new.

Quality in building construction can be traced back to approximately 1772 BC when the Babylonian emperor Hammurabi enacted the Code of Hammurabi

229 – If a builder builds a house for someone, and does not construct it properly, and the house which he built falls in and kills its owner, then that builder shall be put to death.

230 – If it kills the son of the owner, the son of that builder shall be put to death.

231 – If it kills a slave of the owner, then he shall pay, slave for slave, to the owner of the house.

232 – If it ruins goods, he shall make compensation for all that has been ruined, and inasmuch as he did not construct properly this house which he built and it fell, he shall re-erect the house from his own means.

233 – If a builder builds a house for someone, even though he has not yet completed it; if then the walls seem toppling, the builder must make the walls solid from his own means.

Quality has been around quite a bit

Ettore

Thanks Randy. By now we can also put you in the history of quality since you have been in the cove since 1999.

Ettore

What I have posted on the site is taken from some books made by "Gurus". Nothing more.
Only the definition given to the periods Assumptions, Prerequisites, Precipitating factors and detonators are not taken from Quality Manuals but from Lawrance Stone, maybe they are unfortunate, I will remove them,

Ettore

I have failed to not update the website with a verbal opinion from many of you and many who have frequented this site in the past

Top Bottom