History of quality

Ettore

Quite Involved in Discussions
I don't remember how many internal, second- and third-party audits I participated in, but I well remember that a high percentage of people met during the audits carried out, third-party or second party auditors, Quality managers, Quality control officers did not know the people today called the Quality Gurus, and this amazed me a lot.

A few times then I happened to have to deal with Quality System Managers that when asked: does he know what a Quality Management System is, they replied that they had never heard of it.

This prompted me to build a simple website based on some quality manuals The History of Quality management written by some of the quality gurus mentioned, which could help Quality students who are passionate about their work.

To the others, I would just like to advise them to deal with somethi⁷ng else, football for example, many of them were in these very experts. If the objectives that the Quality Systems set themselves have not been achieved, it is only the responsibility of these people

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
That's interesting, thank you. I have been working in companies with quality management systems since the late 80s, one of my employers back then gave us a lot of quality training and the names Deming, Shewhart, Juran etc were all familiar, but I rarely hear of them now, I am certain my younger colleagues won't have heard of them.

Randy

Super Moderator
If your teaching history of quality you've gotta get past the 20th & 19th centuries and get into history. When did quality in manufacturing or service provision really begin? I don't know but here's and example I used to use when teaching all the crazy stuff I used to teach. (It shows an old ISO 9001:2008 clause but no matter) King Tut bandages.png

Randy

Super Moderator
Another bit of quality history I used to point out when told that all of this quality stuff was new.

Quality in building construction can be traced back to approximately 1772 BC when the Babylonian emperor Hammurabi enacted the Code of Hammurabi

229 – If a builder builds a house for someone, and does not construct it properly, and the house which he built falls in and kills its owner, then that builder shall be put to death.

230 – If it kills the son of the owner, the son of that builder shall be put to death.

231 – If it kills a slave of the owner, then he shall pay, slave for slave, to the owner of the house.

232 – If it ruins goods, he shall make compensation for all that has been ruined, and inasmuch as he did not construct properly this house which he built and it fell, he shall re-erect the house from his own means.

233 – If a builder builds a house for someone, even though he has not yet completed it; if then the walls seem toppling, the builder must make the walls solid from his own means.

Quality has been around quite a bit

Ettore

Thanks Randy. By now we can also put you in the history of quality since you have been in the cove since 1999.

Ettore

What I have posted on the site is taken from some books made by "Gurus". Nothing more.
Only the definition given to the periods Assumptions, Prerequisites, Precipitating factors and detonators are not taken from Quality Manuals but from Lawrance Stone, maybe they are unfortunate, I will remove them,

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Quality Manual - Where does Revision History Section go? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
K Revision History of Quality Manual Missing ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
T Before recent Quality Standards - History Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 11
S Concise History of Quality ? Major breakthroughs, key turning points etc. Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
S History and Value of a Supplier Quality Engineer Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
Paul Simpson History of Quality Control Registered Visitor Articles Archive 48
Marc Definition Quality Assurance - An Abbreviated History Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 2
C New company - How much quality records history required? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 3
V Teaching Quality! The History of Quality (from Artisans to TQM) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 37
M History - Evolution of quality in the automotive industry Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 7
S Quality History..... hmmmmm Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 1
G History of TQM? Where did Total Quality Management come from? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 18
M Quality Manual Change History - Can I eliminate the revision record from the manual? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 33
M Design History File - Medical Device Quality Systems Manual Section 3, Design Control Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
R What to do when revision history is too long? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
S Audit Finding - Design History File (DHF) Index: few (3 to 4) reports not identified ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
K Design History File - Looking for Examples of DHF's. 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
S GageTrax History Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
S IVD Device History Record ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
E Procedure ( SOP) for Device Master Record ( DMR ) and for Device History Record (DHR)? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 9
C GUDID Device record history Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
A Design History File - Not ready to share the design drawings or Bill of Material US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
M Is There a Revision History or Change Log for Canadian Regulations? Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
C SOP unification. Revision No, Revision history Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
I Dating controlled documents after changes - Revision History Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 13
I Revision History Date - date of updates or date of release? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
R No design history file or device master record ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
R Suggestions for putting together a DHF (Design History File) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
R Implementing Design History Documents/ Technical Documents in the QMS ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
D Questions about the contents of a Design History File 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
bryan willemot Documenting past problem history for fasteners for AS9100 Rev D AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
B MDSAP 8.2.6 CH6 task 17 ANVISA 16/2013 3.2.1 - Label History in Device history record Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
R Are DMR (device master record) and DHR (device history record) inspected by FDA or audited by an NB ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
gunnyshore History of ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
N Design Validation Conventions for Design History Files 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
Sam Lazzara Preferred Location for Revision History Section in Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 16
J How to document Corrections made to a Medical Device History File ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
E Updating DHF (Design History File) to include Alternative Component 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
M Lean Time Line (History and Theory) Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 5
V Template / format for Device History File & Design Verification of transdermal patch 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
J Electronic Device History Record (eDHR) Software Recommendations 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
JoCam Ownership of Design History File EU Medical Device Regulations 6
K ISO 13485 and DHF (Design History File) requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
B Design history files for combination products 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
I Document Control - Document Revision History Question Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 16
M Design History File (DHF) for New Generation of Product 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
W Maintaining Component Traceability in DHR (Design History Record) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
N 510k without DHF (Design History File) that we bought a 3 years ago US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
Marc Ten City Maps from History Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
A Medical Device Service Records linked to DHR (Design History Record)? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2