Hooray For Me

E

energy

Re: Re: Of Course

JRKH said:

I think I'd be more surprised if we had a thread that didn't jump track (except the humor thread).

James:vfunny:
James,

See what you did? Spankings are in order for the unruly! Knock off that hooray for me stuff! Aren't you glad you announced such glad tidings? An old Hindu once told me, "They will come at you in all hours of the night" I had no idea. :biglaugh: :smokin:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

E Wall

Just Me!
Trusted Information Resource
Cracked up

You all crack me up... Glad humor has been restored though!~

My ire was up because of comments from Energy "How long would anyone be without a document? How often are they accessed?" and "And shame on any Company that needs to access the Intranet to know how to operate their business. JMHO." Practical business practice - nobody is expected to have a photographic memory...level 3 documents exist because we would rather the operators use them rather than relying on often faulty memories. Therefore, having the documents available is necessary - and since there is no 'computer or office' support after 5 p.m until 7 the next morning - some contingency plan has to be in place.

Also, at least in our case, the server problem is grand scale - it is run out of Atlanta, GA. Additional problem currently exists, which isn't what was planned for but am dang glad I'm ready for it anyway - since this is a sub-contracted service with a supplier that hasn't been paid (we're in bankruptcy) no telling how long support would take to if it went down (and I'm talking possible 5days plus).

BTW, thanks to all for the Birthday wishes, some were posted others were IM or e-mail. Michael - I worked from 4 a.m. to 1 p.m. yesterday - not the best plan on my birthday but had to be done. I usually work 7-4, but came in early to conduct internal audit interviews with some 3rd shift folks.

E

energy

Now, that's a problem!

ISO GUY said:

So, your computer system is down and will be for 3 days. Now what do you do, sit around and wait for your system to come back up, which in turn holds up the testing and pisses the client off. JMHO
Nope,

I carry my fishing pole and my cell phone in the truck. Call me when they come back up. 3 days? Holy Schmoley. I've been working a long time and never experienced anything that comes close to that. The worst thing that has ever happened was a problem with our server and I couldn't post for 1/2 day. Really bummed me out! :bonk: :ko: :smokin:

M

M Greenaway

Energy I am with you on this one.

Once heard this definition of a scientist which adequately fits some quality professionals:-

"A Scientist (or quality professional) is someone looking for a black cat in a dark room that isnt actually there."

E

energy

What I call it

M Greenaway said:

Energy I am with you on this one.

Once heard this definition of a scientist which adequately fits some quality professionals:-

"A Scientist (or quality professional) is someone looking for a black cat in a dark room that isnt actually there."
Kind of like the BOOGEY MAN :eek: :vfunny: :ko: :smokin:

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Aaron Lupo

Re: Now, that's a problem!

energy said:

Nope,

I carry my fishing pole and my cell phone in the truck. Call me when they come back up. 3 days? Holy Schmoley. I've been working a long time and never experienced anything that comes close to that. The worst thing that has ever happened was a problem with our server and I couldn't post for 1/2 day. Really bummed me out! :bonk: :ko: :smokin:
I agree Energy that it may never happen, however, you probably have IT people that care LOL we dont. I just like to plan for th worst case scenario.

E

energy

Re: Re: Now, that's a problem!

ISO GUY said:

I agree Energy that it may never happen, however, you probably have IT people that care LOL we dont. I just like to plan for th worst case scenario.
ISO Guy,

You hit it the mark. We have two IT guys and we spend a lot of $$ to keep everything running. Our equipment is relatively new because we have only been here a couple of years. I would venture that there may contingency plans that I don't even know about. If you look back at James posts, he has a IT guy and is comfortable with his sytem. I just got a little cranked when after all that, he kept getting warnings like he never considered the system going down. And, he has paper backup. I considered some of the posts overkill and paid the price for saying so.
Later Guy:bigwave: :ko: :smokin:

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Seems like a risky thread to post on but what the heck. Here's my 2 cents worth. I can't remember all of the turns this thread has taken but here goes:

Every biz is different -- if you don't think you need a backup plan and no one needs to look at your level 3 docs to do their job, fine. That won’t fly with everyone, though. In MY world, servers do go down for more than a half day (3 days recently). Viruses do get past the AV program and knock-out critical files on occasion. There is some small threat that a fire, tornado, or other disaster could hit us. Many of OUR level 3 doc’s. do need to be accessed to know how to do our jobs. Heck, I wrote some of them myself but I still need to reference the doc to remember what it is I said we do! Some of the tests or production steps are quite complex and individual customer focused, so in many cases you need to reference the L3 doc to remember how to do it for a particular customer. There are lots of different customers and a darn near infinite number of part numbers – almost every product is custom. There are also some calculation/simulation programs that save tons of manual calculation that are used almost daily. And not every work station has a computer to access.

So, we put the master on the computer server, have a hard copy backup on site, and send a data backup to an offsite location on CD every week just in case. The cost for this modest “disaster plan” for data is quite small in both time and dollars, and for the cost it is a great insurance policy. If you don’t need it great, do what works for you, but to say as an unqualified blanket statement that no one does or should need to look at procedures/WI’s, etc. to do their jobs is quite shortsighted IMHO.

E

energy

Re: Cracked up

E Wall said:

You all crack me up... Glad humor has been restored though!~

My ire was up because of comments from Energy "How long would anyone be without a document? How often are they accessed?" and "And shame on any Company that needs to access the Intranet to know how to operate their business. JMHO."
My point was that because a server goes down, the world doesn't end. People don't sit there scratching the heads wondering "What do I do now? Of course, like others, we do daily backups and store off site. We just aren't so wedded to the Intranet that we can't function without it. Our Distribution Unit which controls all inventory and Sales Orders would be seriously affected if they lost their database. The contingency plan there is routine maintenance, and back up every day. But, if it crashed they would only lose Internet Sales which are piddlin! Customers still call, orders taken, product pulled and shipped. Inconvenient? For sure. Absolutely necessary to function? Not! Sorry for raising anybody's ire. As for procedures, the people who use them, wrote them. They do not need to see them. New people have access to hardcopies in two places. They are there because the wonderful world of ISO says so.:agree: :ko: :smokin:

Top Bottom