Hooray For Me

J
My My My

I certainly didn't think my little gloat would arouse so much spirited debate. (Ya never know with the cove)

To clarify,

I got the idea to use the intranet from a combination of 1) discusions on these boards some months ago, and 2) suggested by my IT guy.

The idea is to provide ease of:
1) Access to documents form any computer terminal
2) Protection of documents from unauthorized tampering
3) Make it easy to distribute changes
4) Allow for printing of instructions at (or near) work stations.

As it stands now, we will have:
1) Working set of doc's on an intranet
2) "Master" set of docs on the QM's Computer
3) Hard copy set controlled by QM
4) Doc's to be added or changed on the Intranet, must be sent to IT by the QM.

The system may not be failsafe, but I its as close as I can get for now.

Thats my story an' I'm stickin' to it.

James:thedeal:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Hmmmm...

Mike S. said:

Seems like a risky thread to post on but what the heck. Here's my 2 cents worth. I can't remember all of the turns this thread has taken but here goes:

Every biz is different -- if you don't think you need a backup plan and no one needs to look at your level 3 docs to do their job, fine. That won’t fly with everyone, though.
Well, I think I've let this one play its self out, but I haven't gotten to page 3 - yet. I thing the above is precisely the problem that arises in the context here. Someone recently asked me if the "One size does NOT fit all" in my 'signature' was a REDACTED connotation. Well, I guess it could be taken that way but it was - and is - my 'Grand Statement' that what works in one company does not necessarily work in others. I don't care if the product and processes are similar or even the same. I put that in there as I want people to understand that advice and information here is REFERENCE information and to look at their company, think of the experiences of others, and apply a system that meets your company's needs and requirements. one person says "Who ever looks at..." and another fires back "We do here..." and a small turf / ideological battle ensues.

Folks - we have to remember to take this all less personal. I think it serves it's purpose well, but the personal stuff is a bit much. We've been through this a number of times since last fall and as humans we're supposed to be able to learn from the past. I know politicians don't but we can.

When you folks fly at each other it appears to me typically to be because you are looking at your situation and it doesn't fit your situation and/or (loathed word follows) paradigm. So it's wrong to you. The cross section of prople is meant to bring out questions precisely because of similarities that may or may not exist. My point is, I have to say I felt all the questions thrown at JRKH were appropriate. Just people asking about "What if..." or "How did you...?" Some saying "Did you think of...?" I thought they were appropriate.

Well, it looks like everything is over and that everyone has kissed and made up. I'll see as soon as I post this and go on to page 3.

But before I do - James, congratulations on what you and the others in your company have achieved. You have a way to go, but it sounds like you're firing on all cylinders. Don't let the effort bog down. QS-9000 is a bit more than ISO - please don't forget that.

Now - on with the show.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
ISO GUY said:

Actually we back up to DVD, I am sure you have heard about it over there since you guys invented everything else! "MGreen Nice weather we are having! :vfunny:
My ISP for this server backs up daily. I back it up myself at least every 2 weeks. I consider my risk to be a worst case loss of 24 hours of database entries (these forums).

At home I used to back up to 4.7 gig DVD-RAM optical disks and before that CD-ROMs and before that Bernoulli disks, and before that to floppys (yup - the little ones - I had over 600 of them at one time). Now I have that wonderful, if bought used, CheechWiz Server. 80 gigabytes. I back up my other computers to that one. If that one goes I have a backup on optical disk for the main system and for all applications. So if the CheechWiz server goes down my two Macs have the 'originals'. (Hey! I'm redundant!)<hr>If you want to ensure against worst case (short of nuclear war) you mirror to a server in an alturnate city or to two other servers in two alturnate cities (one of my past clients did this - their data was too important). In fact, if a system went down in one city, one of the other cities auto-magically picked up all traffic within 30 seconds and kept mirroring to the third. They could not afford downtime. Each of the 3 masters were in completely different states.

One the other hand, one client did a daily backup and kept the backup in the trunk of one of the company cars out in a fenced lot (if the building burns down.... scenario).

I have had others that only had a computer or two that were mostly used to print letters and signs. They didn't back up anything.

Hows that?

A

Atul Khandekar

My interest in what James has achieved was from a different point of view. So here are a few more queries to add to my earlier post :

Is this a completely paperless system ( barring your hard copy set in a binder)? What were the arguments for and against implementing such a system? Who all have access to the company intranet (Managers, Supervisors, operators)? How long before you can judge the success (or failure) of the system?
Thanx,
-Atul.

Last edited by a moderator:
J
Atul Khandekar said:

My interest in what James has achieved was from a different point of view. So here are a few more queries to add to my earlier post :

Is this a completely paperless system ( barring your hard copy set in a binder)? What were the arguments for and against implementing such a system? Who all have access to the company intranet (Managers, Supervisors, operators)? How long before you can judge the success (or failure) of the system?
Thanx,
-Atul.
Atul,

Let's take them in order.
1) No. It's not intended to be paperless. The Idea is to use this to store and control the documents.
2) To tell the truth most of the arguments were played out in the Cove a while back. Don't remember the threads.
3) Read/Print access is available to all managers and supervisors. IT has access to loading the Intranet, and I have access to docs for revising.
4) Dunno how long to judge the system. Right now I don't forsee a problem.

James

A

Atul Khandekar

James,
Thanx for the reply.

A few more questions..if you don't mind..

Is the system limited to QMS only or will you be adding other things - tech. reference library, training etc..? What kind of programming effort was invloved?

-Atul.

J
Atul,

Right now it is limited to QMS. Our IT man is working out the programming. It will take him a little while as we are still debugging another new system.

I am not in on how the programming occurs. I know that the system will be read/print only and that printouts will have non-controlled document label on them.

After we see how well this system works we may indeed expand it to include other areas such as training etc. but we have no definate plans at this time.

Has anyone else on the board used their intranet as Atul suggests?

James

E

energy

I told you so

James,
"They will come at you at all hours of the night. " Remember that? I will not post any of my perceived good news because it will soon become a gastronomical discomfort that would cause me to question my good fortunes. Do your own thing. Do not wait for congratulations or kudos. There is always a better way, according to some. Don't even ask them. Go for it. You're on the right track.:) :ko: :smokin:

Top Bottom