Hoshin Planning (Hoshin Kanri) - A system of planning and deployment

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 18:59:17 -0400
Subject: Hoshin Planning - Summary

Thanks for everyone's response. To serve and share with the list, You find the consolidated responses below. I hope it helps someone else, as well as me.

Robert Drensek
Quality Engineer

R. King, "Hoshin Planning: The Developmental Approach"i Methuen. MA; Goal/QPC Publishers, 1969.

Dr. Witcher and I co-manage a internet forum addressing issues on "hoshin kanri". Information on the forum is found on the following URL
Dead link --> http://www.mailbase.ac.uk/lists/hoshin-kanri

and the following URL leads to other sources of information, including listing of reading materials on the topic itself.
Dead link --> http://www.mgt.uea.ac.uk/research/hoshin/hkbiblio.htm

1) It is a while since I did a literature search myself on this subject, but when I did, the best book that I found was: "Hoshin Kanri: Policy Deployment for Successful TQM" by Yoji Akao, Editor. Productivity Press. (207 pages) This is detailed and authoritative, with a many examples and illustrations drawn from real-life companies.

2) If you want a simple but accurate introduction to the subject (e.g. for instructional purposes), you can obtain an article on our website. Dead link --> http://www.dhutton.com/visitors.html I hope that this helps.

Total Quality Engineering (www.tqe.com) have a very good software application of Hoshin Kanri in easy way instead to use a lot of forms as original Japanese Method. This software is calling Hoshin planing and they have a downloadble free trial software of about 12 Mb, valid for 30 days. You will need to have available Winzip and Access installed in your PC to run this worth Demo.

Adittionally TQE have a Hoshin Handbook with a brief details about this method.

The ASQ have 2 good books too:
"Policy Deployment" . The TQM approach to long range planning - Bruce M.Sheridan
"Management by Policy" - Brendan Collins & E. Huge

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
D
Koshin Planning

I am looking for information on Hoshin planning. This is a Toyota requirement. Has anyone heard of it?

R

Rick Goodson

Hoshin Planning is one of the titles commonly used in the Western world to describe Hoshin Kanri. This is a system of planning and deployment which evolved in Japan from Management by Objectives (MBO) and now used around the world by many companies.

Hoshin Kanri involves every part of an organization: first in selecting and defining a small number of key corporate goals; and then in contributing to the accomplishment of these. It is one of the pillars of Total Quality Control as practised in Japan, and similar approaches have been developed by a number of the Western companies which are pioneers in the field of quality management. In a sense, it is a form of Strategic Plannning as we know it. Here is a couple of websites that may be helpful:

Dead link: dizzy.library.arizona.edu/library/teams/slrp/syllabus/hoshin.html
Dead link: mijuno.larc.nasa.gov/dfc/hp.html

http://www.dhutton.com/samples/samphoshin.html

Govind

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Some of our Senior Management executives are looking at this Hoshin approach. Any words of wisdom?

Govind.

R

Randy Stewart

The last place I worked implemented the Hoshin philosophy. It was the first time that I have seen the equipment operators know how they affected the companys' goals and targets. It really helped getting the company aligned and moving in the same direction.

Not only were goals set, but during each review (monthly), a resource management review was conducted. This ensured that each Director and Manager had proper resources to accomplish their tasks. Additionally, by having the monthly reviews, no one was allowed to get too far behind.

When I started at TDM we were at about $15 - 20 million a year in sales. Last year they did close to $90 million! It wasn't all Hoshin, but the hoshin principles assisted in achieving the goals that Ford set up.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Management Quality Audits as Part of Policy Deployment/Hoshin General Auditing Discussions 4
NDesouza AS9100 - D Capacity Planning Requirements AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
Moncia Production Planning procedure ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Richard Regalado Top 10 operational risks of 2019 for business continuity planning Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 6
E Resources for Planning for top quality Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 6
I Questions to ask when auditing for Organizational Leadership and Planning for the QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M IATF 16949 (6.1.1 - Planning and Risk Analysis for a remote site) Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
DuncanGibbons Are there any aerospace specific requirements for material resource planning? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
S ISO 9001:2015 & ISO 14001:2015 - I need a format for Design & Development planning ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
M Master Dot for quality planning/improvement Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
W Tying the need for Demand Planning to a section of AS9100/9110 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
W Core Process Metrics AS9100D for Product Planning? Quotes and sales? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
G Anyone working with or planning to do business in the CBD (cannabidiol) industry? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
R Linking the Processes of Continual Improvement, Change Management, Risk Management, Action Planning, etc? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 5
K Capturing local government development/planning activities in aspect register ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
S ISO9001:2015 6.3 - Planning of Changes - OFI from auditor ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
Sidney Vianna AS9100 News PPAP in the Aerospace Sector - What is it? AS9145 - Requirements for Advanced Product Quality Planning and Production Part Approval Process AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 10
Pmarszal ISO 19011:2018 - Risk Based Approach for planning, conducting and reporting of internal audits Internal Auditing 8
R ISO 9001:2015 6.2 - Planning Changes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Q ISO planning annual meeting? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
S Where to keep Enterprise Resource Planning software (ERP) Validation Records ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
S We are planning to sell a Medical Device Group Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
C AS9100D, Clause 8.1 - Operational Planning and Control AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 12
J ISO 9001:2015 Cl. 6.3 Planning Changes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Sidney Vianna FAA and DCMA to leverage OASIS data to assist in planning risk-based oversight audits Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 3
D IATF 16949 Design and Development Planning IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
E High level structure - Planning and operation control Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 2
S ISO 13485 Cl. 5.4.2 - Is Documented Quality Planning required? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
Sidney Vianna SCMH Awareness Webinar Focused on the revised Advanced Product Quality Planning APQP AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 0
L Documentation Planning - IEC 62304 Clause 5.1.8 IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
Q ISO 9001:2015 - Is Strategic Planning audited? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
M IATF Tool for Leadership and Planning - 2017 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
T FDA Design and Development Planning Requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
R Understanding a few points on ISO 9001's Design and Development Planning ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
M IATF 16949 - 7.1.3.1 Plant, Facility, and Equipment Planning - Interpretation IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
S Planning to appear for CQIA Examination - Tips and Suggestions ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 1
S What do I have to do for ISO 9001:2015 Clause 6.2 - Planning ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
M Integrated Phased Processes - AS9100D cl. 8.1 Operational Planning - Clarification AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 8
C Review the IT Disaster Recovery Planning Process IT (Information Technology) Service Management 8
B AS9120 Internal Audit Scheduling & Planning AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 6
S Forecasting and Material Planning - Are formal procedures required? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
K TS 16949 Planning Phase: Raw Materials purchased from Distributer and the PPAP impact IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
R Audit Planning - Process Audit agenda - VDA 6.3 VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 4
C Software Planning Tool for Equipment Qualifications, Process Validations Software Quality Assurance 3
S Resource Planning/How to identify IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
M Risk Assessment & Contingency Planning (API Q1, 9th. Ed.) Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 9
A Medical Device Licensing - We are planning to sell another product Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
N Internal Process Audits - 7.1 Planning - How do YOU audit it? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
K Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity Planning - Where to start? Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 18
B Lockheed Q2R Revision 10 FAI Planning Example AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2