Hot Rolled Steel Coil Rust Prevention Tests

Bigfoot

Involved - Posts
We process Hot Rolled steel coils for many different uses and applications. One common practice is pickling of the coil to clean the steel of hot roll scale and dirt. Some customers request that the steel be oiled after pickling to prevent surface rust.

We are looking at using a different pickling oil as rust prevention and have had some good preliminary trials using a hand application as a means to compare the shelf lives of the current oil vs. the new oil. I'd like to see what kind of results the 2 oils would get in a salt spray cabinet, but it has been years since I've been around these types of test environments and specs. I recall a FORD specification that was for Phos & Oil coating on steel when I dealt with Metal Stampings but can't recall the specification number or the performance criteria for it. I believe the pass/fail criteria was either 24 or 48 hours in a salt spray cabinet with no red rust.

Would there be anyone out there in the Cove who can help me connect these dots or suggest other possible alternatives that we could test these items to?

Thanks in advance for any help. :thanks:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
R

rsimano

Re: Rust Prevention

ASTM B117 - 11
Standard Practice for Operating Salt Spray (Fog) Apparatus.

ASTM D1748 - 10
Standard Test Method for Rust Protection by Metal Preservatives in the Humidity Cabinet

You may check with the oil supplier as they may have done testing of their products and their effectiveness as a corrosion preventative and which standards they are testing to..

Last edited by a moderator:

Mikishots

Trusted Information Resource
We process Hot Rolled steel coils for many different uses and applications. One common practice is pickling of the coil to clean the steel of hot roll scale and dirt. Some customers request that the steel be oiled after pickling to prevent surface rust.

We are looking at using a different pickling oil as rust prevention and have had some good preliminary trials using a hand application as a means to compare the shelf lives of the current oil vs. the new oil. I'd like to see what kind of results the 2 oils would get in a salt spray cabinet, but it has been years since I've been around these types of test environments and specs. I recall a FORD specification that was for Phos & Oil coating on steel when I dealt with Metal Stampings but can't recall the specification number or the performance criteria for it. I believe the pass/fail criteria was either 24 or 48 hours in a salt spray cabinet with no red rust.

Would there be anyone out there in the Cove who can help me connect these dots or suggest other possible alternatives that we could test these items to?

Thanks in advance for any help. :thanks:
Keep in mind that the criteria you've cited (24-48 hours) is purely outside the scope of the two standards cited by rsimano. As an example, ASTM B117-11 only prescribes a method - it does not tell you how long you should test for or how to interpret the results, and makes a point of explicitly stating this in the text (See sec. 1.2 and 3.2).

R

rsimano

The ISO 9227 is another standard for salt spray testing.

Mikishots is correct these specifications do not give testing duration. The duration of Salt Spray testing is normally governed by the specification of the product being tested. But if no duration is specified, duration is determined between the interested parties. Interpretation is also determined by other specifications. ex. ISO 8993, 10289, 4628 as listed in ISO 9227.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Standard for surface roughness on hot rolled steel Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
E NCR (Nonconformance Report) for device defects - Hot rolled coils Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
apestate Tolerances for cold rolled, hot rolled, DOM tubing Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 10
R Tapping problems - 3/8" hot roll pickled & oiled steel - seeking expertise Manufacturing and Related Processes 15
T Hot dogs and process operation and control effectiveness? 4.1.3 a) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
N Thermocouple Wire Calibration - Hot Junction vs. Cold Junction Temperatures General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
D Hot Plate Welded Plastic Strength Validation Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
M SAE AMS 2750E Relocation Hot or Cold Recording Sensor Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
D Hot Line (Safety) Rescue Hook Testing - 29 CFR Part 1910 Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
K Thermocouples Hot Junction and Number of Uses Specifications AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
Hershal 19 "Hot Shots" Fire Fighters Die fighting Arizona Fire World News 1
Randy You know it's hot when... Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 4
Richard Regalado ISO 27035:2011 Infosec Incident Management - Hot Off the Grill! IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 0
bobdoering Hot time in the old town tonight.. Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 9
P Hot water cylinder parts - Testing per the Low Voltage Directive CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
C Any AIAG CQI-11 Experts - Hot dip galvanizing process not applicable? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Mikael Fuzzy Logic - Real or Not? Hot or Not? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
Ajit Basrur FDA warns on Hot Dog Chilli Sauce US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
Marc Do you like hot sauce? Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 13
M Liquid Metal Embrittlement in PFMEA - Hot Dip Galvanizer - A scream for help FMEA and Control Plans 3
C Looking for a company that does production hot forming Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
E Surface Inspection solutions for Hot mills, Pickling lines, annealing lines Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
C Hot forming, what are some choices for tooling material? Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
T TS-16949 for Dummies presentation - Hot Topics - Open Discussion IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
P Is throughput yield the same as FPY or FTY? Rolled Throughput Yield Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
J SST .625 dia Cold Rolled 303 bar and Magnetism Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
L Wearing an ESD Smock with Rolled Up Sleeves Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
R How to determine the Thickness tolerance of the Cold Rolled Steel Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
B How RTY (Rolled Throughput Yield) applies to different industries Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
Bev D World Class Rolled Throughput Yields - 2012 Six Sigma 1
F Rolled Throughput Yield and Confidence Interval Six Sigma 3
P Trying to figure Minor ? on Female Rolled Threads Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
G How do I calculate PPM from a Rolled Wire Suppllier Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
A Ovality and Flatness generated after Heat Treatment of Rolled Rings Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
D Herringbone Defect Condition in Rolled Steel Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
E Normalized vs. Rolled Throughput Yield - First Pass Yield metrics for our processes Manufacturing and Related Processes 16
F Technical question - U-BOLT microscopic cracks on the tooth of the rolled thread Manufacturing and Related Processes 14
N Definition TDU (Total Defects per Unit) and RTY (Rolled Throughput Yield) Definitions Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 5
J How to Define Scrap Metrics & Objectives - Stamped Cold Rolled Steel Fasteners ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
H Rolled Throughput Yield (RTY) Loss - Can you measure in PPM? Six Sigma 3
S RTY (Rolled Throughput Yield) - Use Poisson Distribution Calculation Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 4
H Rolled Throughput Yield (RTY) Calculations for a Sequential Process Six Sigma 2
K Resistance welding process - Cold rolled and some zinc plated welding Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
K Resistance Welder Settings for cold rolled and galvanized steel Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
B How to define and Calculate the DPU, DPMU, DPMO, Yield, Rolled Throughput Yield (RTY) Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
R Rolled Throughput Yield - Is anyone using this metric, and if so, how Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 6
S DPMO (Defects Per Million Opportunities) vs. RTY (Rolled-Throughput-Yield) Six Sigma 7
L RTY (Rolled Throughput Yield) Calculation Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
D Flatness tolerances for tempered cold rolled stainless steel coils Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
H Difference between Stainless Steel 316 ASTM F899 and ASTM A276 Other Medical Device Related Standards 2