How are the d2 values for subgroup sizes derived?

• Thread starter David Drue Stauffer
  • Start date
D

David Drue Stauffer

d2 chart value?

Hi folks,
I am trying to determine how the d2 values for subgroup sizes is derived. Does anyone know how this value is derived or where I can go to find out? a book, a web site, another forum, etc.?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
J

Jim Biz

You Might Try Juran's Quality Handbook

Chapters 21 thru 24 deal with charting and the factors used

Glosary of symbols Defines:
d2 = ratio of the "expected value" of R bar (in sample sizes of n) to the sample estimate of sigma.

Also Table A (pg AII3 lists d2 values for samle sizes ranging from 2 to 25)

L

Laura M

Do you mean the actual calculation that was used to generate the values in the table?

I remember deriving it a long time ago in a "Theory of Statistics" course. That would certainly stimulate some brain cells if that's what your looking for.

Laura

D

David Drue Stauffer

Laura, Yes that's exactly what I mean. You can make some really useful macro charts in excel IF you know how the formula is derived.
Example: What range do I need to hold if I have a total tolerance of .030 and a subgroup size of 10, and I need a 1.67 Cp? Since the calculation for Cp is the Tolerance divided by 6 sigma and 1 sigma is Rbar times d2, to put the macro in the spreadsheet, I need to know how d2 is calculated.

R

Rick Goodson

David,

I do not remember the formula nor the derivation but it has to do with the distribution of the relative range where w = R/sigma prime for different sample sizes. I do have a reference for you, but it is probably going to be hard to find. I found it in Acheson Duncan's book "Quality Control and Industrial Statistics". The paper is "The Probability Integral of the Range in Samples of N Observations from a Normal Population". It was published in Biometrika, Vol. XXXII (1941-42) pp 301 - 8. Good luck finding it. Couldn't you just load the table into the spreadsheet and use the Lookup function to find the value?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Test requirements for marketing in US when RATED values are not of US IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
Q Capability - CPk comparison values Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 12
M Specific Values of Quality Objectives Benchmarking 7
G Can calibrated device values be used instead of manufacturers spec? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
I Recommendation about h and k values when CUSUM charts are used Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
qualprod Criteria to raise a Nonconformance based on KPI values ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 39
E IEC 60335-1 power input deviation - Table 1 Values Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
D Asterix when pasting a column of values from Excel into Minitab (V17) Using Minitab Software 5
qualprod Cycle times, value stream mapping, inventory, average values? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
N When to record values if a spec for a mfg process is set Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
J Recomended Values - Auditing process in a supplier IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 18
H In-house device calibration record - Actual values obtained required? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
N Regression Model (Minitab 18) - Which values my input parameters should have Using Minitab Software 2
Q Really do they add value (Vision, Mission, Values)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
Q Values - ISO 9001 2015 - Clause 4.1 Note 3 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
V Correlating Maximum 'Range' of Values for a given "RSD" (Control Limits) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
A Power Traceability certificate for values for voltage, current and phase General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
M Cp & Cpk about a diameter measured with min.,max. and average values. Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 13
D Standard torque values for threaded fasteners AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
V Different gage values for assessment on as-is data and % data Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
E How do you perform a GR&R for system software generated values? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
A 61010-1 Accessible Parts - Limit Values and Crepage and Air Clearance Distances Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
I Dual Acceptance Criteria: Cpk and Individual Values Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
Rameshwar25 Getting values of k1, k2 and k3 for n=30, r=3 and k=3 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
F Fully nested ANOVA: A missing p-values (Minitab) Using Minitab Software 11
T Variation in values of the levels in Factorial/Response surface design Using Minitab Software 1
C Specification + MU - Dealing with reported MU Values Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 6
Ajit Basrur How to allow users to enter values in a protected MS Excel worksheet ? Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 4
M Injection Moulding Minitab DOE - All P Values are 0 Using Minitab Software 7
A Help with acceptable screw gage values per standard BS 919 for Go/ No Go gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
K Can I do an average measurement values for a sample? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
Z Using Sum Values for Category Data in Minitab Using Minitab Software 4
N Basic Math Problem - Finding in between Values General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 14
J Minitab Factorial Experiments - Excluding certain values Using Minitab Software 3
B Rounding Numerical Values Up or Down with respect to the number of Significant Digits Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 9
M Typical values of MTBF for Optical Avionic Networks Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
A How to interpret Minitab Results? What is difference in Cpk and Ppk values? Using Minitab Software 2
N Interpretation of Measurement Values - Technical Specification - Amperage Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
D Hole Limit Dimension Values Placement - Smaller Limit On Top? Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
M Changing PFMEA (Process FMEA) RPN Values based on a Rejection FMEA and Control Plans 4
R How to assess capability for parameters which has got either Min values or Max values Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
V Minitab and Excel Giving Different Cpk Values for the same Data Using Minitab Software 12
S Are the Values for Constants determined by Sample Size or Sub-Group Size Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 14
D Analyze of Fractional Factorial Design in Minitab - I didn't get F and P- values Using Minitab Software 4
Z Subsetting based on values in a text column in Minitab Using Minitab Software 1
K Recording Weight Values on Calibration Certificates General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13
L Importing CSV (comma separated values) / Excel process steps into Visio diagram Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 2
G Accuracy of Cpk and Cp values with 5% of production Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
W Z-values in Logistic Regression stem from a Wald test? Using Minitab Software 7
B Normalizing Continuous Data with "0" values Using Minitab Software 3