How can Balanced scorecard (a measurement of performance tool) be used in ISO 9001?

S

s_warin

They say that the Balanced scorecard is the measurement of performance tool developed by Schneider at GE in 80. It is brought to popularity by Norton and a comrade at Harvard in 90.

The question is how can we use the balanced scorecard in ISO 9001?
:agree:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
D

David Mullins

It helps you get your accountnant interested in the QMS.

In the BSC environ, 9001 becomes an element of the strategies of the org.

ccochran

Southern Gentleman
Re: How Balanced scorecard be used in ISO 9001?

Howdy, folks:

I was glad to see the mention of the Balanced Scorecard concept. As you know, the concept promotes a balanced portfolio of metrics that reflect on the success of the organization in the short, medium, and long term. We're not talking about a long laundry-list of metrics, but a short focused list that truly reflects the organization's strategy. Now, how does this fit in with ISO 9001? The strategic metrics that make up your organization's balanced scorecard become your so-called quality objectives. Does it matter that the metrics of the balanced scorecard are more strategic and less quality-related (in a traditional sense) than what people would expect from something called quality objectives? No, of course not. The more strategic and significant you can make your "quality objectives," the better. I promote the practice of not even using the term quality objectives; it gives people the wrong idea.

The Balanced Scorecard concept has influenced my own thinking quite a bit. I make mention of Kaplan and Norton's book in the first chapter of my own book on Continual Improvement
(http://Elsmar.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=76240). My prescription for the development of "key measures" is quite similar to the Balanced Scorecard concept, but more focused and easier to implement (in my opinion). All these concepts are saying the same thing, though: 1) figure out the few measures that really matter to your success, 2) Communicate what the measures mean and why they're important, 3) Tell everybody exactly how they can help contribute to measures, 4) Track and communicate progress, 5) Build a lean, streamlined management system that enables everyone to focus on the things that really matter.

I'd love to hear some other thoughts on this...

Craig

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Craig Cochran
Center for International Standards & Quality
Georgia Institute of Technology

G

Greg B

Craig,

I agree. We use the balanced Score Card system and have done for a number of years. Over the past few months, I have been trying to convince (and I think I have won) Senior management that the metrics involved in the score cards are our key objectives and therfeore should make up the Quality Objectives of our policy and the basis of our QMS.

:topic: I promise, I will finish your book shortly and post a review. I had a GMP audit yesterday and I'm preparing for our Annual surveillance audit in mid February.

Greg B

ccochran

Southern Gentleman

Greg,

They're lucky they have you over there getting them straight. I always have to remind myself that the Senior Management requires remedial education in the most obvious things...

Craig

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
ccochran said:
I always have to remind myself that the Senior Management requires remedial education in the most obvious things...
Yes - How true this statement is.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Balanced Scorecard in Measurement of an Experimental Approach Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
S How to prepare a Balanced Scorecard for QMS & EHS Management system ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Q Balanced scorecard together with ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
AnaMariaVR2 Communicating Strategy with the Balanced Scorecard Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 0
6 SHEQ/Quality Systems Coordinator Balanced Scorecard Template wanted Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
B Has anyone developed an OHSAS 18001 Safety Management System Balanced Scorecard? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 13
F ISO 9001, Balanced Scorecard and the EFQM Excellence Model Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
C Balanced Scorecard and KRA (key result area) Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
Q Quality Balanced Scorecard? Example wanted ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
S ISO 9001 and Balanced Scorecard ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
P Balanced Scorecard Information / Examples Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
B Benefits of Lean, Lean Six Sigma, Six Sigma, Balanced Scorecard - Making the case Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
A Balanced Scorecard / Strategic Planning linked to Strategical Objectives Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
A Balanced Scorecard - How to USE Balanced Scorecard? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 15
ccochran Building a Balanced Scorecard The Reading Room 11
L How much do you know about balanced scorecard? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
L How long have you known balanced scorecard? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
L How is your organization implementing the balanced scorecard Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 4
A Balanced Scorecard - Seeking More Information Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
John Predmore A Balanced view of statistical tests Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
R Ford BSAQ (Balanced Single Agenda for Quality) System questions Customer and Company Specific Requirements 6
P Minitab error response: "Design is not balanced; execution aborted" Using Minitab Software 4
Stijloor Looking for a "Balanced Score Card" training program for small businesses. Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 5
N Linking BSC (Balanced Score Card) with Six Sigma Six Sigma 18
D Minitab refuses to run saying the Design is Not Balanced - Gage R&R Using Minitab Software 14
J Balanced Score Card - Using this method for performance measurement Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
A Anybody doing Balanced Scorecards? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 22
D Supplier Scorecard, Assessment of Pass Through Items From Sub Tier Suppliers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
S Customer Scorecard Analysis Templates and Examples IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
H ISO 9001 Quality Objectives Scorecard or Matrix template to share ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
P Supplier Scorecard for ISO 9001 - Help me review the draft from my purchasing team ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
T Red Metric on a Customer Scorecard is a Major Nonconformance AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
P Scorecard Data Forged - Ideas Please Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
Sidney Vianna P&G Launches the Latest Supplier Sustainability Scorecard Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 2
S Acceptable Supplier Scorecard Performance Indicators Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
R Supplier Quality Rating Scorecard Template (excel spreadsheet) Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
pammesue Supplier Scorecard Metrics - Supplier PPM Quality Defects Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 12
Z Consequences for Poor Performance based on a Monthly Scorecard - Actions? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 15
J Supplier Performance Scorecard sample format or template needed Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
Z Supplier Scorecard Inclusion of Corrective Actions Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
Ajit Basrur Anyone using Net Promoter Scorecard (NPS) to Measure Customer Loyalty? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
L Supplier ScoreCard Question - Declared NonConformance vs Undeclared NonConformance Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
Q Streamlined APQP and The Flawless Launch Scorecard APQP and PPAP 2
A Supplier Scorecard template / example Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 16
U Clause 8.2.1.1 Nonconformance - "Yellow" scorecard from one OEM customer IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
B Customer Rating Report Skewed - Conforming Pulled Stock Charges Against Scorecard Nonconformance and Corrective Action 6
Q Key Quality Metrics - Manufacturing - Putting together a scorecard Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 27
S Supplier Scorecard - Does anyone have an example Supplier Scorecard? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 27
D Customer Surveys and Feedback - Company ScoreCard Report Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 9
N Drawing tolerance vs. Measurement device General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4