How Can I Document Rejections?

NikkiQSM

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hello All -

Here is my current process for documenting rejections:

I log all the information into a list in an excel spreadsheet.
Then I complete an NCMR document which holds all same information.

I am wondering if an NCMR document is even really needed?

This is different from a CAR.

The NCMR document is purely to record the rejection of a product and what we did for disposition.

If all the information is covered in my log - do I really need to complete an NCMR document as well. I find this incredibly redundent and a waste of my time.

Thanks in advance,
Nikki

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
Re: How Can I Document Rejections

Would it be possible to use a database instead?

The database would act as both NCMR and your Excel listing, especially since both have the exact same information. I personally try to avoid using Excel for records due to the fact that I want to keep all records forever (I'm bad).

If your Excel and the NCMR have the same information, I would look to reduce the NCMR document. However, and you probably know this, you need to make sure your not violating your own company policies/procedure doing so. If you change and one of the procedures references the NCMR document, you will need to change the procedure.

NikkiQSM

Would it be possible to use a database instead?

The database would act as both NCMR and your Excel listing, especially since both have the exact same information. I personally try to avoid using Excel for records due to the fact that I want to keep all records forever (I'm bad).

If your Excel and the NCMR have the same information, I would look to reduce the NCMR document. However, and you probably know this, you need to make sure your not violating your own company policies/procedure doing so. If you change and one of the procedures references the NCMR document, you will need to change the procedure.
Thanks Michael!

Yes I am aware I would have to update our procedure (which would be my job anyways :) )

I also do not like Excel - but right now its what our system uses and has used for the last 15 years. We are moving forward with an ERP system, but that is over a year away and I am not sure how my documents are going to fit in with it right now.

So for the time being - I am trying to reduce the amount of work that I find to be unnecessary.

P

PaulJSmith

I agree that a database might be the way to go. However, don't be fooled; a database is really just a spreadsheet with a pretty face. The form view, though, could be your replacement for your existing NCMR form, provided the database is accessible to all who will need to use it.

S

Shaheen Alam

As long as you have CAR, you can use that for recording rejection. Creating separate NCMR can be avoided.

P

PaulJSmith

As long as you have CAR, you can use that for recording rejection. Creating separate NCMR can be avoided.
Do you really want to go through a complete CA process for every rejection?

... and welcome to The Cove, Shaheen!

Last edited by a moderator:

NikkiQSM

Do you really want to go through a complete CA process for every rejection?

... and welcome to The Cove, Shaheen!
My answer is no.. and honestly - we do not issue a CAR for every rejection.

If we see a trend of similar rejections, or if a rejection is due to someone doing something against procedure - then yes we open one.

But no, we do not issue a CAR with every rejection.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Equipment 21 CFR 820.70(g) - User Requirements Document for Off the shelf equipment 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
B Do IFU designs have to be document controlled under ISO 13485? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
C Certificate of Conformance Form - COC for each customer a controlled document? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
A Document "Correspondence IATF 16949 vs ISO13485" available? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
R Document Retention - Discard hard-copies after scanning? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
P Mylar plot suppliers in accordance with D6-51991 document AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
A Document Change Notice vs complete System re-write Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
Q Document approval through SharePoint (without signature) Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 4
S What is considered a "core algorithm"? (From an FDA guidance document) Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 4
U Document Approval - Software company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
O Please, help with document on ISO/ TS 17758 and (IDF 87: 1979). Thank you. Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
K Proper document of SMPS used in infant warmer for IEC 60601-1 testing IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
I Nitpicking on document released dates ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
I Document Control on Log Files ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Q Refusal to Document Complaints Customer Complaints 39
Q Tracking Procedure Revisions (Document Control) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
C Document Control Stamps - Does anyone still stamp their documents? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 24
I Master Document Access - ISO 9001:2015 clause 7.5.3 Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
I Question 1 - Nitpicking on Document Approval - can a document approval record be separate? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
I Control of Documentation Distribution - Document Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
T Advice needed - Environmental MS - unwritten but customer requests policy document ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 5
T Control of downloaded document copies by employees Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
T Document control ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
I Is highlighting on a printed document considered a change? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
C QMS Document Management Software Recommendations Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 15
E Part 11 Compliance, Excel living documents (i.e. document master list, equipment list, approved supplier list) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
Sidney Vianna Informational New IAQG Document - AS9100 Clarifications of Intent AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
S How to determine & document Organizational Knowledge of a company Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
D Are medical device companies required to document every change made to their website? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
M Informational IMDRF draft document – Principles and Practices for Medical Device Cybersecurity Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Nonconformity for missing form number on the job description document Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
R Training Matrix for Document revisions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
S Controlled Document Location Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Setting deadlines (ex. 45 days) for Document Registration & Review Cycle Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Informational IMDRF draft document – Requirements for Regulatory Authority Recognition of Conformity Assessment Bodies Conducting Medical Device Regulatory Reviews Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
B AS9110 Audit Check Sheet wanted Excel or Word Document AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
D Document review on already approved registrations requested by China's NMPA? China Medical Device Regulations 3
O Vendor vs Engineering Document Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
Z 21 CFR and Annex 11 mapping document Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
A ISO9001:2015 Document control and training aids ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Sidney Vianna AS9100 News New AS9104-1 Document to be released around April 2020 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
I Tracking Protoype Changes; 8D or simple document revision? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
H Transfer of Document Ownership Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Informational IMDRF proposed document – IMDRF terminologies for categorized Adverse Event Reporting (AER): terms, terminology structure and codes (Edition 4) – Anne Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
GreatNate Document Control info - What is required on a controlled form/document for ISO 9001: 2015? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
G Warning about Deltronic Gage Pins - The "Certification of Accuracy" document General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13
M Informational EU – Guidance document Implant Card relating to the application of Article 18 Regulation (EU) 2017/745 of the European Parliament and of the Council o Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
M Informational Health Canada guidance document – Pre-market Requirements for Medical Device Cybersecurity Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
G ISO 17025:2017 7.1.2 - Should I produce a document for the customer? ISO 17025 related Discussions 8
J Document Control Software Needed ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4