SBS - The best value in QMS software

How can I justify excluding the R&D group and the design and development clause?

This new company I recently started at has me implementing ISO 9001. They have an R&D group in the parent company, and one of their IP holding sub companies wants the ISO certification to open up new markets. R&D is clearly doing design and development of new products, not only for the sub company in question, but other product development as well. In my previous place of employment, it was a similar setup, R&D at corporate headquarters, chemical plant in different state. That place was able to exclude design and development, and I could never get the answer on how they managed that.

How can I justify excluding the R&D group and the design and development clause at the new company? My thought was to treat it as an externally provided resource. They have very good controls and record keeping, but the head of R&D absolutely does not want to be under the ISO cert. Ideas?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Pjservan

Involved In Discussions
It sounds like your site does not do Design. You are allow to explain that in the scope of your system and explain why requirements related to product design do not apply to you. This is permissible under ISO 9001. In your case you are trying to certified the manufacturing site and not the whole corporation.

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
The answer lies in your scope statement.

Write it so it does not include design of your products.

You may however find that your organization continues to design its services.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
In this day and age of commoditization and trivialization of certificates, you will find no shortage of CB's fighting for your business and none will object to the idea of certifying the manufacturing operation, "ignoring" one of the most critical processes, in terms of product regulatory compliance, product safety and risk mitigation: product design and development.

You do what you can, but an organization leadership that allows products to be designed in the absence of well structured D&D process is doing a terrible job of managing risks. So, be aware.

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
ochem,

Sidney makes a very good point.

The top manager of the parent company would be well advised to require R&D to conform to the standard too.

Meanwhile, what do your customers expect?

John

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T How to justify this High %Tolerance Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
R PMCF plan to justify that our product not require PMCF study EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Q How can you justify using a more accurate Pin Gage class? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 16
D Using R-Chart to justify removal of part from the study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
K CMM Productivity and Internal Rate of Return (IRR) to justify a new Acquisition Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
S How can I justify adequacy of USB connector soldered on the product Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
K How can I justify adequacy of Frequency of Testing in my Testing Plan Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 8
C How do I justify outsourced processors - ISO 9001 Clause 4.1 - General Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
D How do you justify that not all Suppliers need to be Audited? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 17
R Medical Devices - How to justify the Sampling Plan used? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
C How do you justify for that short time of experience? Career and Occupation Discussions 11
W How to justify Widened Control Limits - No Assignable Cause scenario Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 26
G Sample Report to justify additional Document Control workforce Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
I Temporary Bandit, Ad Hoc or Rogue Records, Forms, Data, Documents - How to Justify Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 30
C Calibrating Welding Machines - Any way to justify not calibrating the meters? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 15
H Meaning of Annex II, excluding point Clause 4 conformity CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
a_bardi Excluding ISO9001 Cl. 8.4 - Supplier Selection and Evaluation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
M AS9100D excluding Design and Development - Small Job Shop AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 18
J Minitab Factorial Experiments - Excluding certain values Using Minitab Software 3
H Excluding 7.5.2 - Validation of Processes for Production and Service Provision ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
J Excluding Control of Nonconforming Product? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
V ISO Certification - Implication of excluding products, subsidiary & branch? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
K Excluding Design & Development - Small business - Consultancy Services ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Q Excluding Clause 8.2.4 as it relates to Cl 7.6 (Control of Measuring Device) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
I Preventive Action Examples, Excluding Preventive Maintenance, Wanted ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
samer Excluding 7.5.2 - Warranty Repairs - Vehicles Maintenance Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
H Excluding Design - Would like to go straight to AS9100 for the Aerospace Industry Design and Development of Products and Processes 6
S 7.4 - Excluding the buying process ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
J Approved Vendors List - Excluding office supplies, housekeeping services, consulting QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 8
Marc Excluding Design from Scope - Software Company Design and Development of Products and Processes 0
M Informational EU – New notified body designated under the MDR – NB 2797 BSI Group The Netherlands B.V. Netherlands Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Marc Fiat Chrysler merges with PSA Group, owner of Peugeot and Citroën - Oct 2019 World News 0
M Informational TGA-led IMDRF Personalised Medical Devices working group meets in Canberra Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational EU – Minutes of the 24 July 2019 SCHEER Working Group on safety of breast implants in relation to anaplastic large cell lymphoma (BIA-ALCL) meeting Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational EU – Meeting minutes – Competent Authorities on Substances of Human Origin Expert Group Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational EU – 12th Meeting of the Working Group on Guidelines on benefit – risk assessment of Phthalates in Medical Devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational Next meeting of the Medical Device Coordination Group (MDR/IVDR) – 20 June 2019 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
andika_untoro ASQ CQE Exam Group for Dec 2019 / Jan 2020 Preparation ASQ - American Society for Quality 18
M Informational MHRA Guidance – Recommendations from the independent Expert Advisory Group on the use of Paclitaxel Drug-Coated Balloons (DCBs) and Drug-Eluting Stent Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Sidney Vianna ISO 9001 News Tirelessly Improving the Brand Integrity of ISO 9001 - Working Group under ISO TC 176 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 42
S Product registration platforms - A service called Licensale by Arazy Group Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 0
M Informational EU – SCHEER – Minutes of the Working Group meeting on guidelines on the benefit-risk assessment of the presence of phthalates in certain medical devic Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
T RAC US certification - Study group Professional Certifications and Degrees 7
Sidney Vianna LinkedIn bug - Anyone has any idea of how to fix this? Posts not showing for me in a Group feed. Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
R IEC 60601-2-57 Risk Group 2 OHD IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
J Facilities - Placing our assembly group into a separate building ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
Marc 9 September 2018 - Upcoming User Group Changes Forum News and General Information 1
S We are planning to sell a Medical Device Group Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
T Is 510k Anesthesia group particularly picky/difficult to work with during 510k? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
D New to this group Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5