How can I make the QMS (Quality Management System) interesting to employees?

Q

QAlady

I joined the company I am working with for almost two months ago. The company will under go its 3rd survillance audit this coming August. To my surprise, their present QMS is really rediculous that:

:( they do not have their monitoring of Quality Objectives,

:mad: most are not aware on their procedures,

:frust: their procedure where still on its initial issue which is year 2005

:nope: don't know how to conduct RCA

:bonk: do not implement C/P action...etc.

Bottom line is they do not have interest on this system. The company is maintaining its certification because it is a requirement on the gobal office. I don't know how they maintain this certification despite of this situation.
Please help me how to make people be interested in QMS. Please help me! Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

atitheya

Quite Involved in Discussions
Re: How can I make QMS be interesting to employees?

... :(they do not have their monitoring of Quality Objectives,
Carry out a management review of the system and review Quality Objectives against their plan

:mad:most are not aware on their procedures,
Train them

:frust:their procedure where still on its initial issue which is year 2005
If there is no change in the system, let it be so, else review and update

:nope:don't know how to conduct RCA
Train, carryout RCA for important issues, maybe in Management Review

:bonk:do not implement C/P action...etc.
Establish CAPA as required and draw a plan/deadline with responsibilities, FOLLOW UP

Bottom line is they do not have interest on this system.
Train, follow-up

Conduct Internal Quality Audit, Management Review and ensure CAPA is taken, at least initiated where not possible to complete and all this before your survillance audit.

Hope this helps.

P

pldey42

Please help me how to make people be interested in QMS.

Make it useful and relevant, more than 'we must do it for the certificate'.

Make it help people do their jobs with less hassle. Make it help them fix things when they go wrong. Fix problems so they don't recur - everyone loves that, including and especially managers.

Make it help them communicate. When they moan about that department that always gets it wrong, bring everyone together to agree how to work together and call it their -- yes, their -- process.

In other words, instead of using ISO 9001 as a set of rules that must be complied with (thereby almost guaranteeing zero interest) use it as a framework of useful things to do in order to make working life more effective and fun, less of a game of dodging blame for the latest disaster.

Just a thought,
Pat

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
Make it useful and relevant, more than 'we must do it for the certificate'.

Make it help people do their jobs with less hassle. Make it help them fix things when they go wrong. Fix problems so they don't recur - everyone loves that, including and especially managers.

Make it help them communicate. When they moan about that department that always gets it wrong, bring everyone together to agree how to work together and call it their -- yes, their -- process.

In other words, instead of using ISO 9001 as a set of rules that must be complied with (thereby almost guaranteeing zero interest) use it as a framework of useful things to do in order to make working life more effective and fun, less of a game of dodging blame for the latest disaster.

Just a thought,
Pat
I agree with Pat. Using the ISO standards and audits as a stick will never work. Perhaps it's time to go back to some old motivational (Maslow) and adult learning principles. People need to understand how all this helps them. For example, hammering them on corrective action, because "the standard requires it", will never work. Quality professionals know, but why should people care? Explaining the true reason behind it, and how this affects them in their daily work lives, works a heck of lot better. Takes a lot of patience though...not something you do in a standard 1 hour training session.

Any other views, experiences out there?

Maybe this topic is a great one for another thread.

Stijloor.

What has been described has little or nothing to do with training or motivation - IMHO. Sure training might have something to do with it, however, these are symptoms of management's lack of involvement in the system, which has many potential causes. Lack of or ineffective training or motivation aren't likely candidates.

An organization is a reflection of its management's behaviours and their style of management. Why would anyone know their procedures/WI's if management don't hold folks accountable? Who would have a clue with RCA/Corrective action, if it's not a management priority? What are the objectives and why aren't management interested in whether they're being acheived?

Before we can start telling organizations that they need more training, we have to see why this quality management system isn't on their management's radar screen, why they don't view it as an important method to achieve their business/customer results?

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Such good responses so far.

Truly, one person cannot "make" the QMS interesting to employees. Heck, sometimes it puts me to sleep too! :lol:

People need to understand they have a stake in something that requires any effort past the stuff-in, stuff-out sort of work. Top and middle management need to make it plain they understand the successful system's contribution to the company's vitality, and that they acknowledge the efforts that everyone puts into the system on their own levels. Some sort of benefit or reward is then distributed to these successful people, to exhibit their stake in the success.

Ah, such dreamy stuff. It's apparent to me that these things have not happened. And in many other places they do not happen, or happen spottily. So it's not just you.

But it is your role to communicate, in understandable and direct terms, what these elements of a functional QMS do for a company's vitality. For management, of course money talks loudest. To a marketing person the message can be market share. To an employee it could be job security and quality of life at work (who wants to keep doing the same thing twice, as in rework?).

But it shouldn't be just a bunch of bedtime stories. You must be ready to connect the dots for these people, in 90 second elevator speech style, using actual examples of just what thing should have been done differently, and the favorable outcome that would have benefited the listener.

This sounds a lot harder than administering a QMS doesn't it? If we were better at it on the whole, and our listeners were not such tough sells, I dare say the U.S. workplace would not be a Dilbert sort of place--we'd be better off because we spend a lot on waste.

So, there's your mission, should you choose to accept it. If you do, use the Search button on the tool bar above to find the threads on Quality cost calculator so you can prepare some real life elevator speeches. And be patient. These people have been the way they are for a long time. Change happens slowly, and some people will never agree with things that don't fit their values system. So you have to pick your targets and define winning in a way that can actually be realized or you will be banging your head forever.

Best to you!

BradM

Staff member
Admin
You know, I can totally understand where you are coming from. I think we all have/are in situations not completely uncommon to where you are.

There have been such superb responses to your query, I have nothing really of value to add. As all of them were great, and offered different options; Please, consider them all (and more). Mainly, notice two of the key themes were management and performance indicators.

Also, always be looking towards the future. Your situation may improve; it may not. Be sure you understand what will bring you personal satisfaction and happiness, and don't deviate from that for too long.

If you want to make the QMS interesting to employees, seek first to understand, then be understood (Stephen Covey). Learn from them, first. Then, make sure they understand it is their system; and it is not some untouchable edict from On High. Finally, always speak in terms the employees will understand, and how things can improve for them.

Good luck, and remember: You have people who understand, and care. Visit us often, and let us know how things are going.

pondo

Registered Visitor
Just as Andy said - it's all about the top management. The plant I work at is led by the quality manager (myself) and the production manager. No plant manager on site. You cannot imagine how well our QMS works. It also affords me to be very innovative. I cannot imagine ever having to get "permission" to implement any quality initiative. The production manager is awesome. He beats me to the punch more times than not. I wish this was the situation more often.

Q

QAlady

BIG THANKS TO ALL. I hope I will be as good as you guys someday. your advises will surely help me to come up with a roadmap. Andy is right, top management should be the first one to get involved in this system (QMS) which is unfortunately not happening right now. The minutes of the meeting for previous management reviews were fabricated... no actual meetings took placed ( frustrating!) Actually, I need to start from the top which is conducting awareness training for the management. Again, thanks and I'll keep you guys posted for the improvements.:thanx:

Thanks for the comments! Can I suggest that some research into what the top management are losing sleep at night over is the key here. There's going to be something, for sure and if you can relate this to a process or system aspect of the QMS and explain how it can help, with their involvement in setting objectives, measurements, reviews, defining the process etc. it will help.......

Good luck!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
John Predmore Explain Quality Management System (QMS) for the uninitiated ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
T IATF 16949 Quality Management System (QMS) Scope Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
A QMS (Quality Management System) for Logistic Agency ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
D Where does the QMS (Quality Management System) fit in your organization? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
P What is a QMS (Quality Management System), really? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
0 Feedback on proposed restructure of Quality Management System (QMS) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
K The differences between ISO 9001 vs a QMS (Quality Management System) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
F How to set-up a Dual Company QMS (Quality Management System) Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
A Software Tools for managing a QMS (Quality Management System) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
L Processes required for the Quality Management System (QMS) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
Q Where to include the SIPOC results in QMS (Quality Management System)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
C Shortcomings of Compliance Focus Quality Management System (QMS) Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
S QMS (Quality Management System) and Calibration Procedure ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
M Building an AS9100 QMS (Quality Management System) AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 21
J Difference between Management System and QMS (Quality Management System) General Auditing Discussions 5
J Supplier Quality Management System (QMS) Audit - Formal Documented QMS does not exist ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
B Where do policies fit in the setting up of a Quality Management System (QMS)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
S Marketing Process as part of QMS (Quality Management System)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
C How do you measure the Effectiveness of a QMS (Quality Management System) Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 34
S Including Product Trade-Ins in our Quality Management System (QMS) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
O QMS (Quality Management Systems) Team Structure & Responsibilities ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
W Sustaining a TS16949 QMS (Quality Management System) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
Y Training on the Basics of a QMS (Quality Management System) for ISO 13485 Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
D QMS (Quality Management System) on Intranet - Business Case ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
Marc Definition QMS - Quality Management System - Definition Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 0
J Sitting Back and Reflecting on ISO 9001 QMS (Quality Management System) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
R BMS Vs QMS (Business Management Vs Quality Management System) AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 6
J Building the QMS (Quality Management System): Getting Started Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 16
G Requirements for Implementing an ISO 9001:2008 Quality Management System (QMS) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
L Definition Quality Management System (QMS) as per ISO 9000:2005 - Definition of Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
V ISO 9001 QMS (quality management system) for MBA College ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
N Help a newbie to develop a QMS (Quality Management System) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 50
Q QMS (Quality Management System) Fundamentals Training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
G Must the QMS Management Representative be part of the quality department? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 23
Pancho Interesting Discussion Using a Wiki to implement a Quality Management System (QMS) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 271
O QMS (Quality Management System) in a Project Implementation Organisation Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
I Developing Quality Objectives for a Quality Management System (QMS) Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 7
K Quality Management System (QMS) Echo Training or Refresher ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
P Creating a New QMS (Quality Management System) from Old AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
M Evaluating my QMS (Quality Management System) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
Q Writing a QMS (Quality Management System) Manual from Scratch Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 2
R ERP/MRP system as part of the QMS (Quality Management System) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 24
F Training Employees on the QMS (Quality Management System) Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
B When is a QMS not a "Quality" Management System? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
T QMS (Quality Management System) for a business support organisation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
K Quality Management System (QMS) audit checklist needed General Auditing Discussions 3
F Quality Management System vs. Effects of Local Culture on Implementing a QMS Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 22
P How to Assess the Effectiveness of the QMS (Quality Management System) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
L What TYPES of documents are in your QMS (Quality Management System)? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
D Inform Customer of Changes to QMS (Quality Management System)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2