How Can I Start an Occupation in Quality?

K

krchick

Hello,

How do you start an occupation in Quality?

It seems that I cannot get anyone to hire me. I started working for a software firm in early 1999 that wanted to become ISO certified but after I began they put me into Software Testing. (They did not get certified.) Anyways, I got in some practice of CMM internal Audits and some Software Process Improvement but otherwise only did testing. Anyways, I left in December and have been trying to get into quality ever since.

If I go and get a ISO Auditor certificate would that help? I do not seem to have enough experience for many certifications. (I also do not have a college degree.)

Any suggestions? Any thoughts about getting in the field?

Kimberly
:bigwave:

Last edited by a moderator:
K

krchick

I guess I should include that I am not only interested in Software Production but would really like a chance in other industries as well.

Kimberly

M

M Greenaway

Kimberly - most people dont choose quality, quality chooses you :vfunny:

Seriously though what attracts you to this profession ?

A

Aaron Lupo

It would certianly not hurt if you were to take and complete the course succesfuly. Do you have any experience in Quality Systems at all, have you learned the ISO standard and do you understand it? Just a few questions you may want to ask yourself before you jump right into a class. Also look to join your local ASQ and start networking and going to the meetings.

B

Bruce Epstein

Re: How to start an occupation?

Originally posted by krchick
Hello,

How do you start an occupation in Quality?

It seems that I cannot get anyone to hire me. I started working for a software firm in early 1999 that wanted to become ISO certified but after I began they put me into Software Testing. (They did not get certified.) Anyways, I got in some practice of CMM internal Audits and some Software Process Improvement but otherwise only did testing. Anyways, I left in December and have been trying to get into quality ever since.

If I go and get a ISO Auditor certificate would that help? I do not seem to have enough experience for many certifications. (I also do not have a college degree.)

Any suggestions? Any thoughts about getting in the field?

Kimberly

Hello Kimberly,

ISO certification is rarely sought in software firms. If you can find companies truly using the CMM, you may have a better chance of being hired to do real Quality.

One place to find them is through the SPIN network , although I see that there is only one remaining in Germany now, in Nürnberg.

I also know that the lack of a degree is a big obstacle in Germany (as it is here in France as well). much more than in the US.

Mfg,
Bruce

H

HFowler

Willkommen zum Cove forum, Kimberly

Before I started in the quality profession, I worked as an Industrial Engineer, then a Plant Manager. It is as M. Greenway says, often the position chooses you. There is a need for someone to take responsibility for quality initiatives and you just have to be the one most knowlegable or willing to be trained.

With so many companies trying to meet the deadline to transition from ISO 9000:1994 to the new ISO 9001:2000 Standard, there is a strong need for people to assist in this effort. Knowing the ISO Standard and how to implement it effectively is what it takes.

Like ISO Guy said, "It would certainly not hurt if you were to take and complete the (ISO Auditor) course successfully". Attending seminars and taking courses related to implementing ISO 9001:2000 will also provide you with opportunities to network with people of like interest and may open up some opportunities. You will meet people from different industries and can get a better idea of what you want to go for.

Many people have started out as quality control inspectors and worked their way around into other areas within the quality profession.

Good Luck and keep involved with discussions here. You'll learn a lot.

Best Regards,
Hank Fowler

J

JodiB

Kimberly,

I don't know if it would work for you, but I started by working for a registrar where I learned the various standards , accreditation schemes, and other useful bits. I landed a quality manager position based on this. I wouldn't say that this is a common occurrance, but it was successful for me. It might get your foot in the door.

E

energy

That's me!

HFowler said:
Many people have started out as quality control inspectors and worked their way around into other areas within the quality profession.
Good Luck and keep involved with discussions here. You'll learn a lot.
Best Regards,
Hank Fowler

1. Inspector
2. Chief Inspector
3. Quality Control Supervisor
4. Quality Control Manager
5. Management Representative
6. Quality Assurance Manager (And none of you smart ---es ask me the difference):vfunny:

Ancillary Duties: Safety Committee Member, Plant Safety Officer, Safety Manager, Environmental Compliance Manager ( don't laugh, Randy-it pays the bills)

Wherever you start, demonstrate an eagerness to participate in any group. Volunteer to take on more responsibilities. After awhile, they look to you because you will get it done. Good Luck

I forgot this: I am also a non-degreed professional:p

:ko: :smokin:

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Atul Khandekar

My advice, FWIW, is that at the beggining of your career, go for a line job. ( and NOT for an ivory tower job)

Wherever you start, demonstrate an eagerness to participate in any group. Volunteer to take on more responsibilities. After awhile, they look to you because you will get it done. Good Luck
and if you can earn a few $$ for the company, the rise may be faster!

That is if you want to continue working for others all your life. However, after gaining the experience/expertise, you will have a lot of choices...

----
Say, energy, you could retire as a consultant!:vfunny:

gpainter

Quite Involved in Discussions
Start by thinking how all of your past jobs related to quality (even your part time ones). Think of all the jobs that you have had and the experinces you have. Join ASQ (for the info. and certification). Think about going back to school and get some certificates (TQM, Lean Enterprise, SPC would be a good ones). Attended seminars as you can afford them. Lead Auditor training would also be good if you want to audit or manage the Quality Management System.
Experience and Training are the key. Good Luck!!!!

Top Bottom