Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

How can we satisfy TS 16949 clause 4.2.3.1 Engineering Specifications

• Thread starter Janet Cabanatan
  • Start date
J

Janet Cabanatan

Hello.

TS16949:2002 Requirements
Clause 4.2.3.1 Engineering Specifications

The organization shall have a process to assure the timely review, distribution and implementation of all customer engineering standards/specifications and changes based on customer -required schedule. Timely review should be as soon as possible and shall not exceed two working weeks.

Can anybody explain what shall the organization do under the above clause?
Does that mean that any customer standard like product drawing received from the customer must be reviewed first (within two working weeks) before it should be documented by our DCC? And does this mean that the standard/specifications received must be implemented/effective after two weeks upon received?

Thanks,
Neth

Jim Wynne

Super Moderator
Hello.

TS16949:2002 Requirements
Clause 4.2.3.1 Engineering Specifications

The organization shall have a process to assure the timely review, distribution and implementation of all customer engineering standards/specifications and changes based on customer -required schedule. Timely review should be as soon as possible and shall not exceed two working weeks.

Can anybody explain what shall the organization do under the above clause?
Does that mean that any customer standard like product drawing received from the customer must be reviewed first (within two working weeks) before it should be documented by our DCC? And does this mean that the standard/specifications received must be implemented/effective after two weeks upon received?

Thanks,
Neth
Welcome, Neth :D and thanks for posting the text of the clause you're asking about, saving us from digging out our copies of the standard before responding.

Basically, the requirement is to have a process to review the specifications as soon as possible, but within two weeks, and to implement in a timely manner and according to the customer's schedule, if there is one. The review part is important, because the new (or changed) specifications might have an immediate impact.

J

Janet Cabanatan

Thanks for the reply. Two weeks given time is for review of the customer engineering specifications, meaning implementation of the received specification will be based on the customer given date.

How about the documentation of the received customer specification? In our organization, once our GM received the new product drawing from the customer, he wants it to be immediately documented for control purposes. Does that violate the TS2 clause 4.2.3.1? Is it necessary for the concerned departments to review first the received product drawing before actually documenting it? Or immediate documentation of the received customer specs do not have any relation with the requirements of TS2 clause 4.2.3.1?

Thank you very much.

J

Janet Cabanatan

what i mean is it was being controlled by our DCC as our Master copy but this drawing specs was submitted to us by a "prospect customer". With regards on this process, do we violate this TS clause?

Jim Wynne

Super Moderator
what i mean is it was being controlled by our DCC as our Master copy but this drawing specs was submitted to us by a "prospect customer". With regards on this process, do we violate this TS clause?
If new or changed specifications get timely review and are implemented in accordance with the customer's expectations, I don't think it matters vis a vis the standard if you invoke control upon receipt. It doesn't make much sense to me to do it that way, but the standard doesn't prohibit not making sense. :D

V

vanputten

Hello Janet:

I beleive there have been other threads related to you question. I wish I could lead you directly to them but I cannot. However, my memory is that this question was discussed at length before.

Try doing a search for key words or the TS clause number to see what you find.

P

pinpin - 2009

You are not only technically sound but very humourous....thanks for the joke....hahahahah..

Raffy

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi Janet, :bigwave:
On our end, we make sure that engineering specifications are sent via email to the concerned personnel requesting for a timely review and implementation of customer requirements. If there is no specified customer review schedule, a timely review should be as soon as possible and shall not exceed two (2) working weeks.
Hope this helps.
Best regards,
Raffy :cool:

Top Bottom