How committed is your company to Quality?

W

WWilliams

Looking thru the "How happy are you with your job" thread is saw several instances of people who liked what they did, but really questioned where they did it.

How committed (honestly) is your company to quality? Do you ever hear this famous quote (this is the one that makes me start looking for a new job) "Why didn't imspection catch this?"

By the way, I heard that for the 1st time here last week after less than 2 months on the job..it was not a blatant defect and was at a 1 part in 2000 level. I could tell that explaining the limitations of sampling inspection were lost on the person I was explaining it to.

Your company?

R

Rachel H.

Our company is very small and struggling with the whole QMS for 5 people. But it is very easy to figure out what happened when mistakes come up. Our owner sees quality as a necessary evil.

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
Rachel H. said:
Our company is very small and struggling with the whole QMS for 5 people. But it is very easy to figure out what happened when mistakes come up. Our owner sees quality as a necessary evil.

Wow, that is an odd posture - "quality as a necessary evil".

I hope he isn't my supplier. I hope he doesn't see making customers happy and satisfied as "a necessary evil." It sounds like someone who forgot why he is in business. Making money happens doesn't happen until after the customer feels his needs are addressed. Shouldn't Customer Service...mean serving customers?

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
WWilliams said:
Looking thru the "How happy are you with your job" thread is saw several instances of people who liked what they did, but really questioned where they did it.

How committed (honestly) is your company to quality? Do you ever hear this famous quote (this is the one that makes me start looking for a new job) "Why didn't imspection catch this?"

By the way, I heard that for the 1st time here last week after less than 2 months on the job..it was not a blatant defect and was at a 1 part in 2000 level. I could tell that explaining the limitations of sampling inspection were lost on the person I was explaining it to.

Your company?

If you work out the math, 1 part in 2000 would be 500ppm. That is actually pretty poor performance in most industries, based on what I see at my clients. Most of the clients I see consistently run between 5 and 35 ppm (external).

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
Rachel H. said:

I can appreciate the frustration of doing a QMS for 5 people. But, if you want quality, it still serves a purpose. However, for a company your size, the whole thing can be done with a 10-20 page manual which incorporates your necessary procedures, plus any particular work instructions you would find to be beneficial. If done correctly, this could be compliant, easy to manage, and benefit the organization.

A

Anon O'Mouse

I'll see your quote and throw down a worse one

WWilliams said:
...How committed (honestly) is your company to quality? Do you ever hear this famous quote (this is the one that makes me start looking for a new job) "Why didn't imspection catch this?"...Your company?

At the end of a particularly painful discussion about our quality system, I asked the Plant Manager "If you didn't have to do TS because it was a customer requirement - would there be any parts of it you would want to do anyway?"

He leaned back, closed his eyes, really thought about it for a few seconds and said "No".

Now isn't that special!

:eek:

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
The interesting thing about Fluor (and yes, I'll use their name) is that there is a heavy commitment to safety. This is good for me, since I am in the safety department, basically applying quality principles to safety. Also, most of the union - management cooperation stems through safety and safety councils rather than through quality and quality councils.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Some people may take this as a brag, but it is fact, nonetheless:

I walk the talk!

If I ever heard the quote cited, I'd stop everything right there and launch into the lesson I always preach about commitment, cooperation, and understanding.

In the case of one defect in 2,000 or 200 in 2,000, I'd say, "Let's talk about what it takes to improve that. Can we afford it?" I'd certainly talk about prevention versus detection and naturally would follow with root cause investigation, corrective and preventive action.

The difference may simply be that I make it my business to know what I'm talking about. I don't try to defend the indefensible, but I sure am willing to work on improving.

I give a lot of answers and advice here in the Cove, but there isn't a day that goes by that I don't learn some new kernel I add to my own repertoire. I regret I don't always take the time to publicly thank the person, primarily because I don't want to derail a thread. Now that I've written this, I will make an extra effort to make those thank yous.

The point is that even a chewing out can serve as the basis for learning.
For example, we learned the guy who made the comment isn't really aware of the limitations of trying to "inspect in" quality - that once the part is made and has a nonconformance, it's too late to prevent the nonconformance. We need to help that kind of person understand the big picture.

To the hapless inspector (a willing worker in a Deming Red Bead scenario) who gets the chewing out, we need to add the nerve to speak up and say, "How can we improve the process so there are fewer defects to find?"

In order to have that nerve, the inspector (or his boss, the Quality Manager) needs in depth knowledge of best practices and the limitations under which his particular organization must work. I often use the phrase (and have a bunch of lapel buttons with the phrase) "Knowledge is Power!" Deming called it a System of Profound Knowledge. The more people in an organization who have that Profound Knowledge, the more likely they will cooperate in finding more efficient methods to perform their business. If you don't have Profound Knowledge about your organization, you should make an effort to attain it. If you do have Profound Knowledge, you should make an effort to share it.

My thank you for this thread:
Thanks for reminding me there is a long way to go before everyone understands that prevention is more efficient than detection. Thanks for giving me a reason to formulate and put in words something I haven't thought about in years. Thanks for the dose of reality that we have a long way to go to create a Quality profession where all the practitioners have the courage and knowledge to stand up to defend the right thing, and also the humilty to admit when there is room for improvement and the tenacity to work for that improvement.

R

Rachel H.

hjilling said:
I can appreciate the frustration of doing a QMS for 5 people. But, if you want quality, it still serves a purpose. However, for a company your size, the whole thing can be done with a 10-20 page manual which incorporates your necessary procedures, plus any particular work instructions you would find to be beneficial. If done correctly, this could be compliant, easy to manage, and benefit the organization.
Thank you for the input. We are trying to come up with what needs to be a procedure; what the Quality Manual should look like. I appreciate the reminder shorter is better in our situation.

Not much has been written down yet, but that is my job and the part of the reason I am here. Surprisingly, our software developer (also VP) is completely on board and creates all sorts of custom programs to implement a quality system for our company (most things are web based). I think our owner is just so busy and overwhelmed at the moment (and feeling poor).

J

JerryStem

"Quality when convenient" should be our slogan. We pay $$ to A2LA and go thru the motions. All the procedures I came up with (yes, I wrote most of them, the ones I didn't were specific work instructions to calibrate specific machines) would be dropped at a moments notice if it caused any inconvenience...

Jerry :frust:

Top Bottom