How do I begin implementing HACCP? Flexible food packaging

B

BarryLeRoux

I run my family's factory that prints (gravure), laminates and slits flexible packaging. Our customers (food companies) are putting pressure on us to become HACCP accredited, but we dont have the necessary funds available to have a 3rd party take care of this for us, so I am trying to do whatever I can to implement HACCP myself with the help of my colleagues, as this is our only option.

Please give me some guidance as to where I should start :frust:

Thank you in advance :thanx:

Barry.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Randy

Super Moderator
Roughly this...The information is readily available and probably through your government.

Also try this as a method ISO 22000:2005 - Food safety management systems —Requirements for any organization in the food chain

Preliminary Work
• Assemble HACCP Team
• Describe product
• Identify intended use
• Construct flow diagram
• Onsite confirmation of flow diagram

7 Principles of HAACP
• Conduct a Hazard Analysis
• Determine CCPs (Critical Control Point)
• Establish Critical Limits for each CCP
• Establish monitoring procedures for each CCP
• Establish corrective actions
• Establish verification procedures
• Establish record keeping and documentation procedures

The Codex Alimentarius Commission
Was created in 1963 by the Food Agriculture Organization (FAO) and the World Health Organization (WHO). It is the role of this international committee to develop food standards, guidelines and related texts (eg. codes of practice) with the purpose to protect consumer health, ensure fair food trade practices, and promote coordination of all food standards work undertaken by international governmental and non governmental organizations.

Publications
Codes of Practice
Basic Texts on Food Hygiene
Recommended International Code Of Practice General Principles Of Food Hygiene
HACCP System And Guidelines For Its Application
Principles For The Establishment And Application Of Microbiological Criteria For Foods
Principles And Guidelines For The Conduct Of Microbiological Risk Assessment

Codex published their HACCP document in 1991 and have released revisions since. The international community has for the most part embraced the Codex guidelines.

B

BarryLeRoux

Thanks gentleman, and thanks Randy for the in-depth explanation.

I will be in touch once I have got my head around all this.

Many thanks! :thanx:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Implementing a Kaizen Team - Where Should I begin? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 7
Watchcat When to begin putting together postmarket production QMS for a mobile app? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 13
G New to ISO 9001 - Where to begin? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
W Where to begin with an ISO 9001:2015 internal audit Internal Auditing 13
supadrai Forced into Regulatory Affairs Role - Where do I begin? Career and Occupation Discussions 4
julsbear When will registrars begin audits for IATF 16949:2016? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
C ISO Auditor Trainee - How do I begin? Career and Occupation Discussions 4
F Where does Contact begin for Biocompatability? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
B How to begin tracking FPY (First Pass Yield) and "Downtime" tracking Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
J Where to begin to move our company towards ISO 9001 certification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
J What point does the Accreditation begin in the process? ISO 17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
C 8D for Dummies - How do I begin using the 8D approach to Corrective Action? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 2
B Is it normal for a procedure to begin with a conditional directive? (if statement) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 30
N Where to begin defining and monitoring Quality Metrics in a Machine Shop Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
N The Gap Analysis is complete - From which clause do I begin? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
J Risk Management - Where to begin? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 21
GStough Risk Management Has to Begin Prior to Design Input, But... Design and Development of Products and Processes 10
R MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) - Where to begin when setting up a system? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 14
C How to become an ISO Consultant and How do I begin? Consultants and Consulting 5
GStough Where to begin - creating a Quality Plan for Class I Medical Device ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
H Auditing Lean as a process - Where to begin? Internal Auditing 9
CarolX Star Trek XI will begin filming this fall for Christmas 2008 release - It's official! Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 10
Steve McQuality RoHS Lead (Pb) Weight Calculation on paper before we begin costly testing RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 18
T Changing Existing Quality Culture/Program - Where to Begin? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
M Quality program, where to begin? One man machine/mold shop Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 13
C where 2 begin? Info Mgmt Blueprint for internal Communication & knowledge xchange Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
CarolX Where does Quality begin? Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 36
M Research and Development Process - Where does research end and development begin? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 15
F Where do I begin for ISO 9K:2K? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Marc Let The Lawsuits Begin! Lawsuit could set crucial Y2K precedent World News 3
E Theoretical project: Implementing ISO 13485:2016 into a start up acrylic bone cement manufacturer ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
G ISO 9001 - when implementing customer requirement ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
K Is implementing Electronic Signatures a Significant Change to the QMS? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
Moncia Implementing ISO 50001 Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 21
H Implementing ISO22301 on a Limited Scope Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 2
J Implementing an ISO 13485 QMS Software ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
Sravan Manchikanti How to interpret '8.3 Control of nonconforming product' for SaMD device while implementing ISO 13485 & MDSAP ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
L Implementing the PRRC role in a company EU Medical Device Regulations 8
A Implementing ISO 20000-1 - Where to start Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
B Lessons Learned Implementing ISO 50001 (Chemical Engineering Progress) Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
C How medical device manufacturers are implementing standards like GDPR and HIPAA Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 5
M Informational EU – Commission Implementing Decision (EU) as regards the designation of expert panels in the field of medical devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
R Implementing Design History Documents/ Technical Documents in the QMS ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
tnorton Lessons learned from implementing Customer Complaints Customer Complaints 1
M Informational Update – MDR and IVDR implementing measures rolling plan – 2 more NBs designated under the new regulations Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
S Implementing a 45001 Health & Safety standard - Internal audit plan wanted Internal Auditing 1
M Informational Commission Implementing Decision (EU) 2019/939 of 6 June 2019 designating issuing entities designated to operate a system for the assignment of Unique Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
J Implementing Machine Replacement Part Reverse engineering technology Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
Q Does anyone have experience implementing a QMS without ISO certification? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
M Informational EU – April 2019 update of the MDR and IVDR implementing measures rolling plan Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0