How do I control all the records we have? What do I put on a matrix?

M

millerwl71

Hi,

I somehow was just thrown into the position ISO Coordinator. I’m running around like a chicken with my head cut off trying to come up with a way to control records. I am making a matrix and wondering how much I need to show.

Like under inspection and test. Can I just put inspection and test, where the docs are, who is in charge and the retention time? On the other hand, do I have to put Calibration Records, Final Inspections, Supplier Material Certs, each separately?

And with maintenance records, like work orders, preventive maintenance, ect. Can I just put maintenance records? Are maintenance records even relevant?

What records are or are not relevant? Are they all, or do we decide?

I am going crazy! I think I might be thinking too much.

It is a small business, pretty much production of small parts. We also have a plant in Mexico. Losing lot's of money. So I guess I need to make it as simple as I can. We are controlling everything up here, they just have read and print access.

I could use all the help I can.

Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

GStough

Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: Thrown in position and going crazy!

Welcome to the Cove! :bigwave:

Your profile doesn't indicate which industry or ISO standard your company is registered to, but if you do a search of the threads in the forums relevant to your industry (a list of forums is found at the bottom of this page), you'll find several discussion threads on document control and control of records, retention times, etc.

After reading the threads relevant to your situation, you may also find useful templates in the Post Attachments List (green bar at the top of this page) which can give you a jump start in the right direction.

Hope this helps. And as always, if you can't find what you're looking for, you can post specific questions here and I'm sure that any Covers who can will be happy to help. :)

B

Benjamin28

Any document which makes up part of your quality system or effects the quality of your products/services should fall under your document control.

The quality system you are working towards, whether ISO 9001 or others should give you the base requirements, then you'll have your client requirements, and your internal requirements. This is how you decide your retention times, which documents are quality records, documents, etc...

My suggestion is to slow down....and approach this in portions.

First define what quality documents you utilize, certainly there must be some basic system which already exists, start there, and then add other documents which fall under the control system...from there you can define retention times, periodic reviews, revision criteria, etc...

As suggested there is a great deal of information on this site pertaining to document control, so take advantage of that as well. ;)

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Welcome Miller! :bigwave:

Yes, please slow down and take this one step at a time.

I like matrices because they can organize and show so much information in one place.

I recommend you start by simply listing your records, in no particular order, on a spreadsheet in Column B. Yes, maintenance records might also be important. The defining question is "Does this record show something that happened that could affect product/service quality?" Arguably not all records will do so. Consult the Standard for which records are required and work from there. But for now, list them all anyway so as to get them out of your head.

Then you can move the names of records around on the spreadsheet into groups. Each of these groups, like maintenance records, might get an overall title like "Equipment maintenance" in its own row at the top of the group.

Next you can assemble into subgroups. Ask the question "Does this type of record show something that happened that could affect product/service quality?" and enter the answer (In what way it shows the whatever-it-is) Column C to the right of each title.

Now that you have some beginnings of organization you can decide which records need to be controlled. Depending on how long you think you should keep the record, assign a code like A, B or C beside each title in Column D and explain the code below this entire list. A, keep for life of the ___; B, keep for life of product plus 7 years, C, keep for 5 years, whatever.

At this point you can start to purge your list of records that do not need to be controlled. I suggest you move them to a new spreadsheet.

In Column E for each remaining title, state what form the record will be maintained in. Scanned as a .PDF, paper in a file drawer. The means for disposal would reflect the medium it's stored as; shredding, shattering backup disks, etc.

In Column F, state where the record would be kept.

In Column A, you can now assign some numbers if you think you need to.

I hope this helps!

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Hi,

I somehow was just thrown into the position ISO Coordinator. I’m running around like a chicken with my head cut off trying to come up with a way to control records. I am making a matrix and wondering how much I need to show.

Like under inspection and test. Can I just put inspection and test, where the docs are, who is in charge and the retention time? On the other hand, do I have to put Calibration Records, Final Inspections, Supplier Material Certs, each separately?

And with maintenance records, like work orders, preventive maintenance, ect. Can I just put maintenance records? Are maintenance records even relevant?

What records are or are not relevant? Are they all, or do we decide?

I am going crazy! I think I might be thinking too much.

It is a small business, pretty much production of small parts. We also have a plant in Mexico. Losing lot's of money. So I guess I need to make it as simple as I can. We are controlling everything up here, they just have read and print access.

I could use all the help I can.

Thanks
There is no need to control records in the same sense that process documentation such as procedures, work instructions, and specifications are controlled. That is to say, you don't need a matrix, and you don't need change control, because records shouldn't change, except under unusual circumstances.

All you need is to define the required records and how long they need to be kept. In order to keep track of them, set up a filing system, whether it be traditional filing cabinets or digital files or some combination of the two, and train people on how and when records are to be kept, and the importance of maintaining their historical value (by not changing them, by making sure that proper approvals have been recorded, etc.)

You will probably want to control forms, which are the medium for capturing the data, but those can be controlled in the same system you use for controlling other documentation that's subject to periodic change.

The confusion about controlling records stems from the fact that some level of control is necessary, but it's not the same type of control invoked for other types of documentation.

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
You matrix looks good to me, also. Although a matrix is not required by the standard, it is an easy way to organize the information you need to know and keep track of. Just keep plugging away, do everything a piece at a time. Lots of us oldtimer's in management rep positions started just like you. By falling into the job. It can be very rewarding, or very frustrating, and sometimes both. Keep visiting, you'll find lots of information.

M

millerwl71

Hey thanks for all the help so far!

I have another question. I noticed I didn't put a dispostion line on my matrix. Do I need that and if I do, can I just put "At the end of records retention time the documents may be destroyed at the discretion of the person in charge of it", or do I have to put it into my matrix? Thanks again for all the help!:)

GStough

Staff member
Super Moderator
How the records are disposed of usually isn't mentioned so as to allow flexibility in determining how it's carried out. As long as they are disposed of, that is the important thing (if your procedures state that they are disposed of). :)

We do not specify how we dispose of records, we just state the retention time and that they are disposed of once the retention requirements have been met.

Hope this helps. :bigwave:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Record Management - Does the QMS need to control templates of records? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 17
S ISO 13485 Cl. 4.2.5 - Requirements for Control of Records ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
E Definition Integrity - The meaning of the word INTEGRITY in ISO 13485 Control of Records Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 6
GoSpeedRacer ISO 13485:2016 Clause 4.2.5 - Control of Records - HIPAA Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
T Control numbers for records Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
X Control of Records - Retention Time vs. Retention Period Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
M Control of email (and other electronic media) as Records - 4.2.4 Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 10
Gman2 Control of Records - Lets talk about modern methods Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 5
T Customer Specific Documents and Records - ISO 9001 Control Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
C Control of Records - Differences between Controlled Documents and Controlled Records Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 18
M AS9100 - 4.2.4 Control of Records and 6.3 Infrastructure AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
T Document Control - Disposing of Outdated Records Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 15
drgnrider Records control on a shared, open, network Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 15
D 21 CFR 11 Tools Validation - Electronic Document and Records Control Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 5
K Records Control - How do you Manage tons of Paper Records? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 10
K Control of Documents or Control of Records? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 27
K Records Control - Auditor Objection to Data being Recorded and Stored in PC Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 21
K Guidance on AS 9100 4.2.3 Control of External Records AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
L How to control some Documents and Records (ECN's and ECR's) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
P Electronic Record Control (Specifically editable records not fixed documents!) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
S Supplier Retained Records Requirements - AS9100 4.2.4 Control of Records AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 6
M When do you need to control records of Purchase Orders? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
K Quality Records (QR) Control Codes Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 13
R Control of Records - Clarify which records are to be maintained ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
W Design History Verification Records Control and Approvals US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
P Control of Records - Is a List of Records Required by ISO 9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
J MS Office 2010 - Control of Records - ISO 9001 Clause 4.2.3 c Requirements Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
K ISO 9001 Clause 4.2.4 Control of Records - Documented Procedure help ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
T Control of Records - API Q1 8th Edition Record Retention Requirements Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 7
K 5S on Control of Records (e.g. Check Records, Cluttered Files, etc.) in a 5S Audit Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 1
J How to Control Production Batch Records Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
J Control of Records - Complying with ISO 9001 Clause 4.2.4 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
M Procedure for Control and Maintain of Records in each Design Stage 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
A Control of Records Procedure (ISO 9001 Clause 4.2.4) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
A Control of records - what's simple and works! Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
J Control of Records - ISO 9001 Clause 4.2.4 Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 5
S Control of Records: "Retention" Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 18
M 21 CFR Part 11 & Control of Raw Data Records used as input into Validated Spreadsheet Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
G Creating a "Records Policy" - Control of Quality Records Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 13
B Examples of Material Certificate (CofC or CofA) Document (Records) Control Systems Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
S What Documents and Records to Control and what not to control? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
B Control of Records - Process Flow, ideas and examples wanted Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
J Why control of records in checking section? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 3
N Master List of Records Required? ISO9001:2008 Clause 4.2.4 Control of Records ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
B Record Control - Why must I control these records? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 10
A Procedure for control of Records - Needed Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
T Departmental Control of Records and Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
L When do you need to control records? Purchase Orders ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
D Control of Vital Documents and Records ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
P Documents and Records - Difference between and How to control Documents and Records? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 27