SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

How do I control web-based asp forms/rpts that write to and pull from an Access DB

I read threads all afternoon yesterday, but I just can’t grasp what I need to do. I tried to reply to one thread but thread was too old.

We are a small machine shop servicing the oilfield, 25 employees. I am the QM and IT guy. We have several processes like the one I am going to describe. We Zn Phosphate coat connections that we cut on most oilfield pipe and accessories. The coating is applied by submerging the connection in a Phosphate bath tank for 9-12 minutes. The tank operator is responsible for verifying and logging daily tank temp, free acid %, etc. We had an Excel spreadsheet, Controlled Form # and Rev# that was saved as a pdf , and made available from small company Intranet. The operator would print the form and manually fill it out daily. The operator also does a sample coupon test (coats a small piece of metal) so I can weigh it, chemically strip it, and weigh it again to determine coating weight. After the operators log sheet gets full, usually monthly, he’d turn it in, I’d scan it, put it up as a record and available for retrieval via local intranet.
I wrote a web based asp form that the operator pulls up with his iPhone, fills out and submits, writing directly to the Access table. He has to authenticate and the record he writes is date stamped and stamped with his userid. I then pull that record up with another asp form and add to the record with the test coupon information weights, coupon dimensions, and a macro calculates mg/sq.meter coating weight.

Now all the questions:
(1) Does the web based asp form the operator pulls up, need to be controlled w/Form# and REV # displayed on the form and a revision list and included in my Master List.
(2) Does the web based asp form I pull up need to be controlled with a different Form# and REV # displayed on the form and a revision list and included in my Master List..
(3) From that record for the day, I can pull up the phosphate coating information on an asp web based report verifiying our compliance with minimum coating weight and print if needed for a customer. Does this report need to be controlled?
(4) From that Access table I have a report that pulls up with just the tank information, much like the original manual log sheet. Does this report need to be controlled?

Sorry so lengthy. We are hoping to get our ISO 9001 certification early next year.

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: How do I control web-based asp forms/rpts that write to and pull from an Access D

I read threads all afternoon yesterday, but I just can’t grasp what I need to do. I tried to reply to one thread but thread was too old.

We are a small machine shop servicing the oilfield, 25 employees. I am the QM and IT guy. We have several processes like the one I am going to describe. We Zn Phosphate coat connections that we cut on most oilfield pipe and accessories. The coating is applied by submerging the connection in a Phosphate bath tank for 9-12 minutes. The tank operator is responsible for verifying and logging daily tank temp, free acid %, etc. We had an Excel spreadsheet, Controlled Form # and Rev# that was saved as a pdf , and made available from small company Intranet. The operator would print the form and manually fill it out daily. The operator also does a sample coupon test (coats a small piece of metal) so I can weigh it, chemically strip it, and weigh it again to determine coating weight. After the operators log sheet gets full, usually monthly, he’d turn it in, I’d scan it, put it up as a record and available for retrieval via local intranet.
I wrote a web based asp form that the operator pulls up with his iPhone, fills out and submits, writing directly to the Access table. He has to authenticate and the record he writes is date stamped and stamped with his user ID. I then pull that record up with another asp form and add to the record with the test coupon information weights, coupon dimensions, and a macro calculates mg/sq.meter coating weight.

Now all the questions:
(1) Does the web based asp form the operator pulls up, need to be controlled w/Form# and REV # displayed on the form and a revision list and included in my Master List.
(2) Does the web based asp form I pull up need to be controlled with a different Form# and REV # displayed on the form and a revision list and included in my Master List..
(3) From that record for the day, I can pull up the phosphate coating information on an asp web based report verifying our compliance with minimum coating weight and print if needed for a customer. Does this report need to be controlled?
(4) From that Access table I have a report that pulls up with just the tank information, much like the original manual log sheet. Does this report need to be controlled?

Sorry so lengthy. We are hoping to get our ISO 9001 certification early next year.
A Quick Bump.

Can someone help with this?

Thank you very much!!

Stijloor.

Pancho

wikineer
Super Moderator
Re: How do I control web-based asp forms/rpts that write to and pull from an Access D

Hi tlroberson,

Forms you should control as per §4.2.3 of the standard. Your doc control procedure should define the controls you need for paragraphs (a) through (g) of that article.

The standard does not require placing identification numbers on the forms, or including them in a list (master or otherwise). Folks do it in order to facilitate identifying the applicable version of documents, and to prevent the use of obsolete documents.

Since you are likely to program the server to serve only the current version of the form, then I don't think you need any number and revision displayed on the form itself. The control of this document for your users is taken care of automatically by your software and the server. You may need to control the code itself and its releases. Subversion or something similar might save you the hassle of doing this by hand.

(2) Does the web based asp form I pull up need to be controlled with a different Form# and REV # displayed on the form and a revision list and included in my Master List.
Same as the previous answer.

(3) From that record for the day, I can pull up the phosphate coating information on an asp web based report verifiying our compliance with minimum coating weight and print if needed for a customer. Does this report need to be controlled?
Controlling records is a bit different than controlling other documents, such as forms. Records provide evidence of conformity to requirements. The reports you print to deliver to clients need to be controlled only to the extent that you define following §4.2.4.

Be careful when you define these controls. You don't want to create busywork. For a printed deliverable, you need to make sure that you know what you delivered to the client (identification), but maybe you don't need to store and protect that particular record since your client has it and it was derived from your database. If you need to, you could generate the delivered record again to prove conformity. Of course, the data in the database itself should be stored and protected.

The above is one example of why the standard asks you to "define the controls needed", rather than asking for specific controls.

Same as previous answer.

Cheers!
Pancho

M

michaelrm

I do nearly the same thing but for weld and materials assigned and performed, as long as you have clearly defined procedures and documentation then like us you should pass the ISO accreditation.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Web based file sharing i.e. Dropbox for Doc Control - Comments/Alternatives? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
L Data Management and Web based Document Control Software Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 18
K Seeking a workflow for web based Document Control System Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
F Document Control - Addressing control of content stored on web sites Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
R Control Methods in Control Plan FMEA and Control Plans 1
M Design Control - Management of Electronic CAD files Design and Development of Products and Processes 11
S TSCA (Toxic Substances Control Act) PIP 3:1 RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 0
S Use of Attributes Control Charts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
U Appraiser Out of Control Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
L Looking for Control Plan and FMEA Stamping process FMEA and Control Plans 2
Z AS9100 Control of Nonconforming Outputs - Rework Dispositions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
K ASME, ANSI, ASTM and similar specifications and their requirements for document control. Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
Z Software for design control ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
K Quality Control/Assurance in the Metal Industry Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 10
K Defining risk control measures IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 14
J Warehouse temperature and humidity control EU Medical Device Regulations 7
Jimmy123 IATF16949 Control Plan FMEA and Control Plans 1
D Control Number for Class III and IV devices Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
J Document Control Metrics Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
I Document Control Software Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
T Controlling Expandable Forms in Paper-Based Document Control System Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
N ISO 13485 7.3.9 Change control in medical device software ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
C UDI Questions on Control Units Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
A Quality Control Datasheets Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
M Control-self assessment Internal Auditing 5
GreatNate Master Control QMS software Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 0
A Prototype control plan FMEA and Control Plans 2
J Records Control - Does each individual record need to be numbered? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 2
shimonv Document Control Procedure Header Content Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
W FMEA - Current control and occurrence rating FMEA and Control Plans 3
S Which department should prepare the control plan? could you show me a standard regarding to this matter. FMEA and Control Plans 17
G Control Plan & PFMEA Review Procedure? FMEA and Control Plans 8
N What are the software audit and control steps Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
A Fabric roll inspection - What type of Control Chart to use? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
C Monitoring and Control Instruments RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
M ISO14971:2019 - Verification of implementation and effectiveness of risk control ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
T Risks arising from control measures vs. ineffective control measures ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 11
J Need Change Control Yes/No Decision Tree Template ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
P IQ, OQ, PQ protocol, and report templates for Distributed Control Systems in Pharmaceutical Manufacturing Systems. Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 0
R Risk control measures as per ISO 14971 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 6
T Linking Control Plans and PFMEA's FMEA and Control Plans 3
L How to add exemption or statement to control of document procedure? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
T PFMEA and Control Plans on legacy product FMEA and Control Plans 5
P IATF 16949 requirement - error-proofing in control plan IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
C 8.5.1.1 Control of Equipment, Tools, and Software Programs - Questions about the extent of control of NC programs AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
Q Version/Revision Control of CAD files Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
earl62 What is the best way to control special characteristics in Control plan? Is it Mandatory to have SPC for IATF 16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
I Control Plan (Product/Process specification/ Tolerance) acceptance FMEA and Control Plans 27
Sravan Manchikanti How to interpret '8.3 Control of nonconforming product' for SaMD device while implementing ISO 13485 & MDSAP ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
Z Putting back excluded rows/data points in a control chart Using Minitab Software 0