How do I convert inches of mercury to pounds per foot

Q

QA GEEK

I work in a aircraft job shop and we recently started using vacuum fixtures to hold parts down during CMM inspection. The problem we are having is converting inches of mercury to pounds per foot in order to meet the 5lbs per foot allowable weight to restrain parts. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
J

Jimmy the Brit

I have this on a reference table:

inches of mercury x 70.73 = pounds/square foot, and
inches of mercury x 0.4912 = pounds/square inch

but it doesn't have any attribution on the table, so probably not solid enough for your needs.

D

Dean Frederickson

To convert inches of water @ 4 degrees C into pounds/sq. ft. multiply by 5.202.
To convert inches of water @ 4 degrees C into inches of mercury multiply by .07355.
I know this isn't exactly what you asked for but you should be able to figure out what you want by using these conversions, hope it works for you.:cool:
Google "How do I convert inches of mercury to pounds per foot" it will give you a number of conversion charts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Q

QA GEEK

Wow, I'm impressed with the quick replies. Thanks to all, now I'm off to see how this works out.

Phil

D

Dean Frederickson

Google "How do I convert inches of mercury to pounds per foot" it will give you a number of conversion charts.:)

gard2372

Quite Involved in Discussions
I work in a aircraft job shop and we recently started using vacuum fixtures to hold parts down during CMM inspection. The problem we are having is converting inches of mercury to pounds per foot in order to meet the 5lbs per foot allowable weight to restrain parts. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
So far all great links and formulas for the mercury conversion.

But.... Have you and your team decided firmly that vacuum holding fixtures is the way you want to go? As you stated your shop recently started using vacuum holding fixtures.

Perhaps due to the nature of the parts handling (aerospace) vacuum holding is the way to go for a cmm inspection to minimize toe clamp nicks etc and cosmetic or plating/coating rework...

Perhaps another post for alternate techniques for holding parts during CMM inspections if you decide that vacuum holding is not the way to go. Maybe due to vacuum fixtures for many part configurations would be costly for non-repeat parts in a job shop vs. typical blocks with many threadded holes for variable set-ups etc...

Also try http://www.cmmtalk.com

Q

QA GEEK

So far all great links and formulas for the mercury conversion.

But.... Have you and your team decided firmly that vacuum holding fixtures is the way you want to go? As you stated your shop recently started using vacuum holding fixtures.

Perhaps due to the nature of the parts handling (aerospace) vacuum holding is the way to go for a cmm inspection to minimize toe clamp nicks etc and cosmetic or plating/coating rework...

Perhaps another post for alternate techniques for holding parts during CMM inspections if you decide that vacuum holding is not the way to go. Maybe due to vacuum fixtures for many part configurations would be costly for non-repeat parts in a job shop vs. typical blocks with many threadded holes for variable set-ups etc...

We have run the gambit including having a so called fixturing consultant. We Machine and assemble aircraft doors and window surrounds for several general aviation OEM's so most of our business is repeat. But thanks for the suggestions. I think the vacuum fixtures are the best way we have tried yet but I had to make sure that we were in compliance with the 5lbs per foot max. I ran a couple of the formulas suggested here to my customers engineering and they agreed that any of these would be acceptable so thanks to all for the help. Maybe one day I can return the favor.:agree1:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F How to convert inches to degrees - Inspecting the perpendicularity of 2 lines Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
Ron Rompen Convert Linear Measurement to Angular Measurement General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
A Tubing Clog Tester - Convert from Air Bubble to Flow Rate Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
B Need to convert Reference Only M&TE to a calibration schedule General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
N How to Convert Micro Volts into Temperature Uncertainty Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
W In what format do you convert documents to digital form? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
W Convert Class B Medical Device to Class A IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 4
J How to convert Rougness Rmax=6,3S to micrometers General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
N Convert Class A Software to B by on-chip Watchdog IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
K How do you convert Subjective Data into Numerical Data? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 11
B Process Approach - Convert System of Documentation into System of Managed Processes Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
AnaMariaVR2 How do I convert an .ASHX file to a pdf or MS PPT file? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 11
S Is it possible to convert a gas turbine to a diesel turbine? Manufacturing and Related Processes 10
B Timeframe to Convert to AS9100 from ISO9001 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
L AS9100 in Japan convert from JISQ 9100 to AS9100 consultant needed AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
M Minitab Macro-Command 'NUMERIC' to convert a text column to an numeric column Using Minitab Software 8
R Please help me to convert from ISO9001 to ISO13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
eternal_atlas Quality Objectives - Convert these objectives into "SMART" format ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
P How to convert angle measurement given in degree to degree/Minutes/Seconds? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
J Six Sigma chart - How do I convert a database into a chart with binomial distribution Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
M Efficient approach to convert Quality System from ISO 13485:2000 to ISO 13485:2003 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
C API Q1 Quality Manual Example - Trying to convert an existing ISO 9001 QMS Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 30
Q 6 Weeks to convert from QS-9000 TE Supplement to ISO 9001:2000 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
C Convert Dewpoint Temperature specification to RH (Relative Humidity) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
Casana Distributors cannot convert to TS? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
J How to convert an unbeliever - Dinged for insufficient documentation by our registrar Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 16
S Measurement Terms - How do I say this in Inches? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
J Calculating impact force, expressed in lbs, of a 5 lb weight dropped 48 inches Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
F How to measure a part that is 6 inches deep without cutting it Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
R How to Measure over 100 inches on Sheet Metal and hold ? .060" General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
A Basic Math training - I.e. fractions converting from inches to mm, etc. ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
M Can a measurment made in inches meet ISO 17025 Traceability requirment? ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
M Informational US FDA paper – Epidemiological Evidence on the Adverse Health Effects Reports in Relation to Mercury from Dental Amalgam: Systematic Literature Review Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
T Mercury is covered under RoHS but is not a substance of very high concern (SVHC) ? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 2
R Traceability for Mercury Argon Calibration Source to Calibrate a Spectrometer? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
D How to Schedule Mercury-in-Glass Thermometer Calibration Calibration Frequency (Interval) 17
T New Environmental Legal Requirement - EPA has added mercury containing equipment Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 0
G What material would you use in extreme humidity and mercury vapor lighting? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 20
S Mercury in Glass Thermometer Uncertainty Budget Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
D Level of accuracy required for the calibration of glass mercury thermometers General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6