How do I do a Process Validation for soldering process

SGquality

Quite Involved in Discussions
I have a question on the soldering process - at one of our supplier site, they manufacture over 100 types of cables and there is a soldering process in all these part numbers.

Need advise on how to fulfill the process validation requirements for soldering process across so many parts? Doing a process validation for so many parts seems to be overkill so I wanted to know if there is an overarching process validation approach that could cover these 100 over part numbers?

Thank you!

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
If it is the same process for each item, I think you can validate one and apply it to the others.

AndyN

Moved On
I have a question on the soldering process - at one of our supplier site, they manufacture over 100 types of cables and there is a soldering process in all these part numbers.

Need advise on how to fulfill the process validation requirements for soldering process across so many parts? Doing a process validation for so many parts seems to be overkill so I wanted to know if there is an overarching process validation approach that could cover these 100 over part numbers?

Thank you!

Are you familiar with NADCAP? I believe they have a set of process validation checks in their documents. Try PRI for info.

somashekar

Leader
Admin

Thank you!
How does the types of cables vary in terms of wire size. and the other side to which it is soldered ? Is it a manual soldering ?
We have done this successfully with few validation based on changes, because we have various parts with same type of wire, and the other part to be soldered with, are of only few types. The considerations are ...
Tip Type and Temperature (Soldering Station Calibration)
Type of solder (leadfree in our case)
The solder-wire size used (gauge)
The operator qualification in line with the IPC standard

Any change in the input is a case for revalidation.

V

vivkrish

Thank you!
Hi,

You can verify the process (Any process) by their control plan which was submitted to you on PPAP documentation.

The best method is Verifying with control plan. Or else you can verify by your customers specific check sheet.

Thanks,
Vivkrish.

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Super Moderator
detailed process map, control plan, PFMEA.....some detail as to specific process always helps give the question focus.....i.e. Wave Solder, hand solder...etc, industry as well

Top Bottom