How do I enter materials into IMDS (International Material Data Sheet)?

E

Edward Norman

I'm trying to enter a spring into the IMDS system. It is made of music wire with a zinc plate. I assume the spring is the component and the the music wire and zinc plate are subcomponents. So how do I enter the basic substances for the music wire and zinc plate? Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
C

CINDY

Edward,

I believe IMDS offers a step by step document that is downloadable. Their web site is: www.mdsystem.com

When I took the training it was free, I am not sure it is the case now.

Hope this helps you some.

Cindy

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
Edward Norman said:
I'm trying to enter a spring into the IMDS system. It is made of music wire with a zinc plate. I assume the spring is the component and the the music wire and zinc plate are subcomponents. So how do I enter the basic substances for the music wire and zinc plate? Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
There's a condition about the reporting you should explore:
"All the substances and substance groups listed in the List of Declarable Materials in Automobile Manufacturing - Substances in Components and Construction Materials must be recorded with the Initial Sample Test Report VDA - Constituents in Purchased Parts (Material Data Sheet), if they are present in the products, or if they run the risk of being released. Mass limitations i.e. content limitations for individual substances have been specified. If the content level falls below these limitations, it does not have to be declared. These limitations are 0.1g/100g (weight %), unless otherwise indicated."

I'm sure we'd all be interested in what you finally learn.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
I spent a lot of time going through manufacturers MSDS sheets for a lot of information. I did several of these last year for submission to Visteon. The biggest 'problem' was the time getting all the information. getting the percentages to match and such was a pain the first time, but once I understood what it wanted it wasn't that hard.

I never did copy one of the files to my pc however, so I don't have one to reference.

Edward Norman said:
I'm trying to enter a spring into the IMDS system. It is made of music wire with a zinc plate. I assume the spring is the component and the the music wire and zinc plate are subcomponents....
Call the help desk. They are extremely helpful and will walk you thru the process.

Wes Bucey said:
There's a condition about the reporting you should explore:
"All the substances and substance groups listed in the List of Declarable Materials in Automobile Manufacturing - Substances in Components and Construction Materials must be recorded with the Initial Sample Test Report VDA - Constituents in Purchased Parts (Material Data Sheet), if they are present in the products, or if they run the risk of being released. Mass limitations i.e. content limitations for individual substances have been specified. If the content level falls below these limitations, it does not have to be declared. These limitations are 0.1g/100g (weight %), unless otherwise indicated."

I'm sure we'd all be interested in what you finally learn.
Wes, What is this documented located? Each OEM has their own list of reportables but I don't recall seeing this list or ststement.

bpritts

Involved - Posts
IMDS reporting

We received direction by letter from GM and Delphi on disclosure of materials
several years ago. They both put it on new part prints, referencing a
GM or Delphi engineering spec. If you want more details I can look them
up at the office. Delphi requires IMDS or use of an AIAG form. I believe that
GM wanted IMDS.

I haven't seen this added to QS or TS CSR's, though, if that's what you mean.

Brad

B

Bill Ryan - 2007

bpritts said:
Delphi requires IMDS or use of an AIAG form. I believe that
GM wanted IMDS.

Brad
Although Delphi "requires" IMDS, they don't follow their own procedure - YET. We still have to submit the "Old" hard copy form (A10949001) because (we've been told) they won't be up to speed until mid '04 at the earliest. Might depend on which plant(s) you supply, though.

GM was excellent (sorry, different thread :rolleyes: ) with the response of acceptance and you can even "see" the approval on the GQTS system. (Doh! Did I just say GM=Excellent???)

The rest of our customers still want the hard copy versions (GMW3059 or their own form).

Bill

Kimmy

Involved In Discussions
Hi,

Here's what I do for entering springs. I make Material Modules for each of the different materials that we make springs out of. For instance I have a module for each of the following wire types: phophated music wire, galvanized wire, Oil Tempered Chrome Silicon, 302 SS, etc.

For each of these wire modules, I use either the ASTM spec or testing performed by an outside lab, if it's been done, to enter the specific substances and amounts. Then I internally release the modules (not publish).

Then when I enter a spring (component) into the system, I insert the appropriate material module and enter the weight and other required info.

I also make material modules for any additional finish that we use such as paint, stain, chrome plating, etc and insert them when necessary.

Hope this helps.

Kim

S

sramasam

Hi,
To submit the material details there's an excel spread sheet in AIAG's website which can be downloaded and used. ONly thing is that your customer shall then enter the data in to the mdsystem.com website...We ask our suppliers to do the same.

Name of the spread sheet is "ELV SpreadSheet".

Hope this helps.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Service to those wanting to enter Chinese Medical Device Market? Career and Occupation Discussions 1
Ajit Basrur How to allow users to enter values in a protected MS Excel worksheet ? Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 4
L Enter the Aerospace Market through AS9100 Certification? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
T How to ensure that counterfeit goods do not enter into our supply chain? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 15
D The best web sites to learn about IMDS information and enter information? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
L How do you handle missing information? People seem to "forget" to enter information Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 148
C Minitab - How to enter results (tool damage situations) Using Minitab Software 10
K Gage R & R - How to enter appraiser results into an Excel .xls spread sheet Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 12
G 7.3.2.1 - Enter of project of the product - Life, Trustworthiness and Durability IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
B IMDS Plating Issues - Need to enter QQ-N-290 Nickel Plating into the IMDS RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
T ISO 13485 8.3 - Non-Conforming Materials - on-line rework or part of process? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
P Flammability Testing of Aircraft Interior Materials Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 0
K EU Shelf life claims for individual materials EU Medical Device Regulations 2
A Production of raw materials in university labs? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 11
A We're currently looking for any studies performed on various PPE materials Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
R Bill of Materials for a complex product - Industry best practice ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
N Medical Device claims that I make in my promotional/advertising materials Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 9
W My company is looking to start a materials testing lab that conforms to ISO17025:2017 ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
D Standard guide for shelf life determination of non sterile component with degradation materials Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
R ASQ reference material clarification - Spiral bound materials allowed in ASQ Exam? Professional Certifications and Degrees 1
Sidney Vianna AS9100 News July 2019 AAQG/RMC CB Auditor Workshop - Presentation Materials AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
A Reduced Testing of Pharmaceutical Raw Materials Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 2
D 4M (Man, machine, method, materials) Management Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
M Maximum Height for the stored material or stock materials Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 1
M Testing Tensile Strength of Materials AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
M Informational 2019 Meeting Materials of the General and Plastic Surgery Devices Panel Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational USFDA Final Guidance – Medical Devices Containing Materials Derived from Animal Sources (Except for In Vitro Diagnostic Devices) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational USFDA – Efforts to evaluate materials in medical devices to address potential safety questions Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
J Marketing and promotional materials - EU and MDR Specific EU Medical Device Regulations 10
M Medical Device News USFSA – 2019 Meeting Materials of the Obstetrics and Gynecology Devices Panel Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
J Control of Medical Device Marketing and Promotional Materials - EU regulation EU Medical Device Regulations 20
I Food Contact Materials Declaration of Compliance Inquiry - (EC) 1935/2004 Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 4
K ISO 9001:2015 AVL - New Chinese standards requiring all testing of materials be done in China ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 0
S CQI-12 - Applicability to Raw Materials Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
M Translation requirements for marketing materials Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
U Run & rate for bulk materials IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
N How to ensure our employees don’t grab and use the wrong materials Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
T Control of Promotional/Advertising Materials Other US Medical Device Regulations 11
J Bill of Materials required according to MDD93/42/EC Annex II Section 3.2 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
V Inspection of Initial Importer/ Distributor Products and Materials 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
C Proper Thickness Gauge for Foam/Felt and Soft Materials General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
R BOM (Bill of Materials) - To rev or not to rev Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
A ISO9001:2015 Auditor Training Materials Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
V Study About Raw Materials (Polymers) - DSC, FTIR,TGA, and SEM Images Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
M ISO9001:2015 Clause 8.4 Control of External Processes and Purchased Goods & Materials ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
B Expired Materials (threadlocker) Audit Finding Classification? Internal Auditing 1
J BRC Packaging and Packaging Materials Standard Training Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 2
A Using Suture materials after their expiry date 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
K TS 16949 Planning Phase: Raw Materials purchased from Distributer and the PPAP impact IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
E Pallets need to be changed when raw materials are transferring from WH to MFG area? Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 6