How do I go about creating document logs and registers with the MS Excel

D

DCC_JP

hi my name is john, I am currently in Construction Industry as a document control coordinator (DCC) i'm new to document controlling so i'd really appreciate all the advice and help i can get.

quick one: how do i go about creating up logs and registers with the MS EXcel to control documents created or generated within the organisation and how to handle external documents. my company currently has 12 departments and each generating different documents.
and the information these logs and resisters will contain
can i get sample templates to achieve this task

thanks all as i anticipate your answers and response.

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
hi my name is john, I am currently in Construction Industry as a document control coordinator (DCC) i'm new to document controlling so i'd really appreciate all the advice and help i can get.

quick one: how do i go about creating up logs and registers with the MS EXcel to control documents created or generated within the organisation and how to handle external documents. my company currently has 12 departments and each generating different documents.
and the information these logs and resisters will contain
can i get sample templates to achieve this task

thanks all as i anticipate your answers and response.

Hi John. That's a pretty tall order for someone who is new to this stuff...
While Excel is fine for logging lists of documents, Excel itself does not Control them.

If you go into the attachments portion this site you may find some sample logs. Should be a simple list with things like
  • Document ID number
  • Document Title
  • Revision
  • Revision Date
at the most basic.

So you'll need a system to assign ID's and a process for how to create/modify/obsolete a document. And standard templates would help too or everyone will be creating documents in separate formats.

It's not dissimilar from how construction drawings are controlled.

I hope that helps somewhat - a lot of us could go on for pages and pages about doc control.

Top Bottom