How do I learn CMMI (Capability Maturity Model Integration)?

S

someshvar

Hi Folks,

Right now, I am working as Supplier Quality Engineer for GM.My responsibilities are on TS 16949.I also have Six Sigma exposure thanks to my previous employer GE.

However I know nothing about CMMI and pretty keen to learn it.My question how do i learn it? I have inquired at some of the SEI partner institute but they charge almost 40k INR for Introduction to CMMI V1.2, three days course. Is it really worth doing ? And how much would you lean in 3 days when your current role does not have any scope to implement it?

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
D

Duke Okes

Re: How do I learn CMMI?

There are many books available on CMMI, but I would imagine if you Googled the term you'd find enough to satisfy your curiosity.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit

For the sake of those who are saying, "Who? What?"
SEI says:
Capability Maturity Model® Integration (CMMI) is a process improvement approach that provides organizations with the essential elements of effective processes. It can be used to guide process improvement across a project, a division, or an entire organization. CMMI helps integrate traditionally separate organizational functions, set process improvement goals and priorities, provide guidance for quality processes, and provide a point of reference for appraising current processes.

Essentially, it is just a trademarked method of process improvement - really just the organization of steps to take - no guarantee of real improvement at the end of the process. It is NOT the only method and some folks even opine it is not the best.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit

Opinion:
I am always leery of new Quality initiatives which come with a new jargon to learn, making it exclusionary, versus inclusive, in being able to spread the system from person to person and organization to organization WITHOUT the intercession of the high priest of the movement (cult?)

Think of the Six Sigma movement which adopted jargon from ersatz Japanese martial arts schools and terms not accepted universally even in Japan, like "black belt" "green belt" "kaizen" "poka yoke" When all the junk language is filtered out, we learn there is no NEW thing in Six Sigma except a clever way to market the system.

This exclusionary jargon is antithetical to Deming's concept of a "System of Profound Knowledge" where all members of an organization are encouraged to learn about the organization and its "big picture" in plain, everyday terms easily communicated and understood throughout the organization without the need for a priesthood to inculcate the organization member into the new cult.

V

visvarthana

Hi,

The CMMI course you have mentioned is "official introduction course for CMMI V1.2" given by SEI and it is expensive. This course is eligibility criteria for becoming an Apprisal team member(audit group member).

However at this point, to know and practice CMMI you can join any professional organization who conducts courses on CMMI in periodical manner. In fact many Lead appraisers are conducting CMMI courses. Which will come around 6k to 9k. Moreover, CMMI has to be practiced. Unless otherwise it won't be much useful.

Hence take an introductory course offered by any good consulting services company.

Thanks
Vishnu

Hi Folks,

Right now, I am working as Supplier Quality Engineer for GM.My responsibilities are on TS 16949.I also have Six Sigma exposure thanks to my previous employer GE.

However I know nothing about CMMI and pretty keen to learn it.My question how do i learn it? I have inquired at some of the SEI partner institute but they charge almost 40k INR for Introduction to CMMI V1.2, three days course. Is it really worth doing ? And how much would you lean in 3 days when your current role does not have any scope to implement it?

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Things to learn during lockdown.... Safety-related books/articles/threads Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 2
S How to Learn all aspects of ISO 27001:2013 | The best way to grab the knowledge on 27001:2013 (Step by Step) IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 7
E What do I study to learn how to audit? Professional Certifications and Degrees 3
S I want to learn Fish-Bone Diagram Analysis Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 14
drgnrider ISO 14001 - Need to learn YESTERDAY!!! ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 18
C Best Book to learn MiniTab 16 Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 9
S Seeking to learn English Video and Suggestions - I am Chinese Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 9
T What our managers can learn from Jim Harbaugh (NFL Coach of the Year)? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
bio_subbu USFDA CDER Learn (Web based course free of charge) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
S Things we learn Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
T When will people learn the difference between OHSAS and ISO standards? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 29
SteelMaiden Some people never learn. Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
D The best web sites to learn about IMDS information and enter information? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
D Medical Device Packaging - Trying to learn Technical files EU Medical Device Regulations 4
E Can QA professionals learn anything from the current global financial crisis? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
Wes Bucey Laid off? Downsized? What did you learn? Career and Occupation Discussions 80
H Where to learn about ISO 22000, HACCP and FS (food safety) Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 10
K Quality Materials - I would like to learn more about quality assurance Career and Occupation Discussions 5
A Most Important Knowledge in the Quality Assurance field - What to Learn Career and Occupation Discussions 11
D Learn To Pay Attention! Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 1
S Best way to learn Minitab Usage Using Minitab Software 9
Y Want to meet someone from big 3 in the supplier develop field to learn from Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
Antonio Vieira Learn any language! Text to Speech - It's easy to speak for example Portuguese After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 3
L Where/how do we learn training skills? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 9
C First Audit Stop - Employees Washroom - Learn all you need to know about a company General Auditing Discussions 83
C Where can I learn more about IPC-A-610D without training? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 9
U PPAP and AQAP Training - I really want to learn PPAP, APQP, and QS-9000 in detail Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
Marc Todays Topic: Learn Spanish! Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
T I'm a Civil Engineer - How can I learn about ISO 9000? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Kevin Mader Is the USA 'Out of the Crisis'? Those that do not learn from history... Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 122
D IATF 16949 Requirement for CMMI in a Global Company Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 0
P How to Scientifically Prove the Importance of a Process - CMMI Process Areas Software Quality Assurance 7
A Software FMEA with CMMI FMEA and Control Plans 6
E CMMI (Capability Maturity Model Integration) - questions Software Quality Assurance 5
A Where to define Process Tailoring Form used in CMMI in the ISO 9001 Quality Manual? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
K CMMI Roadmap - The process of implementing CMMI Level 3 Software Quality Assurance 5
B Basics of the CMMI Standard Software Quality Assurance 3
S Software Company wants CMMI Software Quality Assurance 4
2 Expectations of CMMI High Maturity seem to have become less Ambiguous Software Quality Assurance 1
P What Documentation is required for CMMI? Examples wanted Software Quality Assurance 3
P Can anyone give samples of goals set of an organization for CMMI 5 Level Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
P An IMS organization can integrate CMMI with IMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
P Only Software companies eligible to take CMMI? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 11
G SEI CMMI Dev v1.3 - Defined (ML2) and Managed (ML3) Process Areas Software Quality Assurance 1
R CMMI (Capability Maturity Model Integration) - Ever heard CMMI? Software Quality Assurance 5
S Mapping CMMI to FDA Requirements IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
Q CMMI Level 2 Procedure for Design & Development Program Software Quality Assurance 1
V CMMI - When you release audit and configuration audit, who will do audit? Software Quality Assurance 4
V CMMI - When do you do the Configuration Audit and Who will do that audit? Software Quality Assurance 5
2 ISO 9001 should be implemented before CMMI for maximum effectiveness? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2