How Do I Make a Business Plan - 17025 Accredited Laboratory

NikkiQSM

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hello All -

I roamed through previous posts, but did not see anything specific enough for my question.

Although this may sound silly, please bear with me... How does one make a business plan?

I think it would be very benefical for our medical plastics company to move forward with accrediting our lab to ISO 17025. We already are asked to conduct testing for customers on the plastics we produce, and even on plastics that we did not manufacture.

Our lab is equiped with high technology testing equipment and we have been testing materials for over 12 years.

I had been discussing the idea with a friend who works as an auditor for ISO 9000 and other standards, and he told me that I should put together a business plan to show if the accreditation would be paid for with the additional business we would get.

So what would the first steps be to get this put together?

Before even bringing up the idea of the 17025 standard I want to go to my GM with the business plan and all the information.

Thanks for all of your help and input! :bigwave:

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Hello All -

I roamed through previous posts, but did not see anything specific enough for my question.

Although this may sound silly, please bear with me... How does one make a business plan?

I think it would be very benefical for our medical plastics company to move forward with accrediting our lab to ISO 17025. We already are asked to conduct testing for customers on the plastics we produce, and even on plastics that we did not manufacture.

Our lab is equiped with high technology testing equipment and we have been testing materials for over 12 years.

I had been discussing the idea with a friend who works as an auditor for ISO 9000 and other standards, and he told me that I should put together a business plan to show if the accreditation would be paid for with the additional business we would get.

Before even bringing up the idea of the 17025 standard I want to go to my GM with the business plan and all the information.

Nikki,

Business Plans are often put together to apply for a business loan. They show how much extra business the loan is likely to generate.

These days just about every commercial lab has to be accredited to ISO 17025 for its results to be taken seriously.

1. Research your market so you know what accredited testing and advice is needed (but may not be provided to the standard req'd).
  2. Determine the prices of this accredited testing (and advice).
  3. Shortlist the most profitable accredited testing (and advice).
  4. Determine the cost of accrediting your lab for the scope limited to that shortlist (at first).
  5. Determine the months or years to reach break-even (when profit exceeds cost)
  6. Consider the risks, such as a how easy it for a competitor to undercut your prices.
You should be able to extend your process-based management system to include the lab's services and all the controls necessary to demonstrate conformity and competence to your accreditation body.

Good luck,

John

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Trusted Information Resource
Great question. Now let us look at it from a purely business standpoint.

First, what is the customer base and what do they need to support THEIR customers?

Second, assuming accreditation is a requirement, then what parts or the whole require accreditation?

Third, what happens if you do not and this customer walks away?

Fourth, what are the internal costs, and internal benefits?

Fifth, what are the external costs?

Sixth, which accrediting body will you use? Discuss with all in US, and any others in target economies.

Seventh, given you may have a timeline, who can and will deliver?

THEN, you have a business plan!

Hello All -

Top Bottom