How do I measure Measuring Training Effectiveness? Performance evaluation?

Raffy

Quite Involved in Discussions
Training

Hi everyone, :bigwave:
Can anybody from the group on how I will measure the training effectiveness? Does a follow-up audit would help to guide me on measuring such training? :confused:
Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Raffy

J

Jim Biz

Just 2 cents worth

Follow-up audit would be one way.

A "final examination" test could be another.

There are most likely a number of ways to get it documented as Effective.

D

db

Training Effectiveness

Raffy,

I read a book about 10 years ago or so by a guy named Kilpatrick (spelling). In this book, he outlined 4 levels of measuring training effectiveness. Quickly;

Level 1: Smile sheets, did the trainee enjoy the training. The worst method, no real effectiveness measured.

Level 2: Pre/Post tests. Better, it measures knowledge gain, but doesn’t answer if the trainee can perform.

Level 3: On-the-job evaluation. This is the best level (IMHO). It asks if the trainee can now perform what was trained.

Level 4: Economic impact: This measures how much the organization gained as a result of the training. Excellent idea, but there are so many competing factors in financial impact, it would be almost impossible to determine (once again, IMHO)

I checked Amazon.com. I couldn’t find any reference to the book, which makes me think I have the name wrong. Can anyone else fill in the gaps?

Dave B (the other Dave)

CarolX

Trusted Information Resource
go with level 3

Hi Raffy,

I have to agree with Dave and say performance evaluation is the way to measure effectiveness. Really gets to the issue...did the employee learn from the training?

CarolX

A

Atul Khandekar

Kirkpatrick

Yes, It's known as Kirkpatrick's model. Just do a web search on say, Google and you'll find loads of info.

D

db

Kirkpatrick's model

Atul,

Thanks for setting me straight. I was looking for Kilpatrick, not KirkpatricK. That is why I couldn't find anything. It helps to get the name right. But when you get to be as old as I there are somethings you forget.

Dave B (the other Dave):D

D

David Mullins

A view from downunder

1. There's a whole pile of info at the egroup on ROI. This group has been going for about 2 years and covers numerous facets of ROI, including the problmes with Kirkpatrick and his model.

worth a look before drowning in searches on the subject.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/roinet

2. If you've done any courses in training you wouldn't be asking this question or even going down the ROI path.

Get on a "train the trainer" type course. It'll teach you about training plans, outcomes, key competencies, assessing/confirming competency, etc. This will provide objective evidence of the success, or otherwise, of the training provided.

3. The other dave certainly put it neatly into levels - which really makes it simple and clear (the way I like it). Just watch out when you go for level 4, as measures have to be meaningful and economically sound to collect and process.

Cheers.

Raffy

First of all, I would like to thank everybody who answers on my questions.
Thank you.

Our specifications says "that all in-house trainer must undergo the training the trainer training program before conducting the training." However, with this on the specification, it limits us to provide a technical training because we must undergo first training the trainers program. That's why I'm asking questions regarding measuring training effectiveness.

I myself did not undergo the training the trainers program. My problem started when our boss transferred the responsibility with regards to training in our department. I insert a grandfathering clause in our specs.
Since I don't undergo such training, measuring training effectiveness is not clear to me.

I look the Kirkpatrick model, its great to google search. There's a lot of information on the net. It helps. I think I have to document the Kirkpatrick Model. Hmmm....I think I should have to incorporate training effectiveness in our document.

Hi CarolX, in our case, superiors perfomed "performance evaluation" annually / semi-annually.

Do we need to immediately perform performance evaluation after the training?

Originally quoted by CarolX:
"Really gets to the issue...did the employee learn from the training? "
Yes, because our productivity increased and less downtime. It is documented through our daily monitoring status and not using a form for measuring training effectiveness.

I have another thing that bothers me, "Do i need to document it using our form in measuring training effectiveness?"

Best regards,
Raffy

Raffy

Hi Marc,
Thanks for the immediate reply. The thread is very informative, for sure it would answer all my queries. Thank you very much. and Happy New Year in advance.
Best regards,
Raffy

Top Bottom